Gonzalez Rams Notes: Thursday's Practice Cancelled & Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

[www.espn.com]

Some highlights from the Rams' minicamp today: Tavon Austin, still recovering from wrist surgery, wants to continue to return punts but doesn't care how he is used as a receiver. "I just want the ball in my hands." ... Greg Robinson is basically taking scout-team reps at right tackle, but Sean McVay said he still has a role. ... Wade Phillips: "I think our secondary is stronger than people think." ... Paul Pierce was here. ... The Rams cancelled their final minicamp practice on Thursday, mainly as a reward to the players. That is it until training camp. McVay expects all his players healthy by then.

Rams announce that they have canceled their minicamp practice for Thursday. They also announced their training camp dates. Rookies report July 26, veterans on July 28, first full practice July 29.

The Rams hosted Enzo Amore on Tuesday and Paul Pierce on Wednesday (photos taken by the Rams).

Rams COO Kevin Demoff was named 2017-18 chairman for the United Way of Greater Los Angeles. President and CEO Elise Buik, pictured on the right, called the Rams' involvement "a game changer for Los Angeles." Demoff: "Seeing the great work Elise and her team do here in Los Angeles, our question was, 'How can we do more?' 'How can we get more involved?'"

Former No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson has switched from left to right tackle, but Jamon Brown has been taking first-team reps at RT and I have barely seen Robinson even take second-team reps. Rams coach Sean McVay said Robinson still has a role and they're still evaluating that position. "We'll continue to help him develop and move forward."

Rams DT Aaron Donald continued to work out on his own today and didn't participate in team drills. Wade Phillips said all he cares about is that he's there in the fall. "He's an elite player," Phillips said of Donald. "Besides his skills, he's got a great attitude. He's kind of a quiet guy, but he learns quickly. He knows what to do and how to do it, and he proves it out on the field. I can't say enough good things about him."

Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, on getting Todd Gurley going again: "I think just as a whole, offensively, we want to have a strong marriage with our running game and our passing game so that a defense can't just tee off on a guy. The idea is to have a balanced attack and keep a defense guessing."

The Rams still have a handful of guys who have been unable to practice fully, including EJ Gaines, Tavon Austin, Lance Dunbar, Mark Barron, Robert Quinn and Bradley Marquez. Also Aaron Donald, who skipped OTAs amid contract negotiations. But Sean McVay expects everyone fully healthy by training camp.

Rams WR Tavon Austin, recovering from surgery throughout the offseason program, doesn't really know how he injured his wrist. He stressed that he would love to continue returning punts but that he is happy in whichever role they have for him. "At the end of the day, it'll all play itself out," Austin said. "If I'm in, I'm in. If I'm not, I'm not. That's how it goes. I definitely can't take away nothing that these guys have been doing, these last OTAs and minicamp. They've been ballin'."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
E.J. Gaines is becoming the latest player that always seems to have some type of ailment. Let's hope come training camp, he'll be on the field every day.

Psycho_X

Legend
Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, on getting Todd Gurley going again: "I think just as a whole, offensively, we want to have a strong marriage with our running game and our passing game so that a defense can't just tee off on a guy. The idea is to have a balanced attack and keep a defense guessing."

giphy.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think I learned something....how to read "coach-speak". I'd be a lil nervous if I was Tavon...EJ....or even Tru.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Funny reading the Robinson quotes knowing they just got rid of him for a 6th rounder. As someone mentioned above, "coach speak."

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A few thoughts...

What was that "personal business" that caused GRob to miss OTA practices recently? Was that the last straw?

Clearly, the Rams valued the roster spot more than postponing the GRob cap hit. That recent speculation is answered.

Message was sent by the new regime that any player is now tradeable (or cuttable) if they don't meet expectations. No more Fisher sacred cows. Best 5 OL will now play. Period. Gotta love that in a coaching regime.

Our long term future LOT is probably not on the current team. It might also indicate that Kromer is higher on Pace Murphy and/or Darrell Williams than anybody thought.

How much, if any, of GRob's contract did the Rams have to eat to facilitate this trade?

Inquiring minds want to know!

This seems to be evidence that McVay greatly values smart football players, don't you think?

fearsomefour

Legend
Funny reading the Robinson quotes knowing they just got rid of him for a 6th rounder. As someone mentioned above, "coach speak."
Well, he was not dishonest.
Said there is a role for him.
Giving the rookie DEs someone to work against is a roll.
They were coaching him up until the trade went through. That's what coaches do.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

[www.espn.com]

Some highlights from the Rams' minicamp today: Tavon Austin, still recovering from wrist surgery, wants to continue to return punts but doesn't care how he is used as a receiver. "I just want the ball in my hands." ... Greg Robinson is basically taking scout-team reps at right tackle, but Sean McVay said he still has a role. ... Wade Phillips: "I think our secondary is stronger than people think." ... Paul Pierce was here. ... The Rams cancelled their final minicamp practice on Thursday, mainly as a reward to the players. That is it until training camp. McVay expects all his players healthy by then.

Rams announce that they have canceled their minicamp practice for Thursday. They also announced their training camp dates. Rookies report July 26, veterans on July 28, first full practice July 29.

The Rams hosted Enzo Amore on Tuesday and Paul Pierce on Wednesday (photos taken by the Rams).

Rams COO Kevin Demoff was named 2017-18 chairman for the United Way of Greater Los Angeles. President and CEO Elise Buik, pictured on the right, called the Rams' involvement "a game changer for Los Angeles." Demoff: "Seeing the great work Elise and her team do here in Los Angeles, our question was, 'How can we do more?' 'How can we get more involved?'"

Former No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson has switched from left to right tackle, but Jamon Brown has been taking first-team reps at RT and I have barely seen Robinson even take second-team reps. Rams coach Sean McVay said Robinson still has a role and they're still evaluating that position. "We'll continue to help him develop and move forward."

Rams DT Aaron Donald continued to work out on his own today and didn't participate in team drills. Wade Phillips said all he cares about is that he's there in the fall. "He's an elite player," Phillips said of Donald. "Besides his skills, he's got a great attitude. He's kind of a quiet guy, but he learns quickly. He knows what to do and how to do it, and he proves it out on the field. I can't say enough good things about him."

The Rams still have a handful of guys who have been unable to practice fully, including EJ Gaines, Tavon Austin, Lance Dunbar, Mark Barron, Robert Quinn and Bradley Marquez. Also Aaron Donald, who skipped OTAs amid contract negotiations. But Sean McVay expects everyone fully healthy by training camp.

Rams WR Tavon Austin, recovering from surgery throughout the offseason program, doesn't really know how he injured his wrist. He stressed that he would love to continue returning punts but that he is happy in whichever role they have for him. "At the end of the day, it'll all play itself out," Austin said. "If I'm in, I'm in. If I'm not, I'm not. That's how it goes. I definitely can't take away nothing that these guys have been doing, these last OTAs and minicamp. They've been ballin'."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A few thoughts...What was that "personal business" that caused GRob to miss OTA practices recently? Was that the last straw?
I posted earlier this week on my 30 yr experiences with the PI excuses used by our employee's in the professional Criminal Justice vocations & the usual negative outcomes.
Our long term future LOT is probably not on the current team. It might also indicate that Kromer is higher on Pace Murphy and/or Darrell Williams than anybody thought.
I agree fully with you. Saffold could be but its very doubtful. Pace Murphy might be a good emergency plug in but appears to be a long term reserve RT.I really liked how Pace played RT late last season. He also did well playing LT in pre season too. His biggest issue was lack of power but Tech wise he did well. He was listed as 290 pounds as a rookie now he is listed as 308 pounds. I do not hold much hope on Darrell Williams being here after the final cuts.

Demoff & Snead is sure to be eyeing the UFA OL'ers coming up @ the end of the 2018 season. A Dam break with Five Ram OL'ers (3 current starters) will need new contracts. That's where UDFA's like OT Pace Murphy & OG/OC Jake Eldrenkamp can help if they win a roster spot this season..

How much, if any, of GRob's contract did the Rams have to eat to facilitate this trade?
The 3 plus million added back into the cap is sure to help. Its my thought here that it did not hold much weight in this decision to disperse GRob. I posted back earlier this year that I saw GRob @ best as the 9th Ram OL'er going into the regular season...obviously I missed that call.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
DAMN!!!! Over a month until we see anything NEW!! Maybe they'll come out with an official Depth Chart now!?!

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I posted earlier this week on my 30 yr experiences with the PI excuses used by our employee's in the professional Criminal Justice vocations & the usual negative outcomes.

Boy... my aunt would love to hear about that! (Labor Lawyer)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boy... my aunt would love to hear about that! (Labor Lawyer)

I might have dealt with her you never know:D.

Point is Usually its falls in with other negative work behaviors i.e.absenteeism, trouble with completing assignments & general overall poor work performances that makes their fellow employees having to pull their & his/her work loads :rant::argue:that adds to a very sour overall work place.