Gonzalez: Rams' new staff has the right credentials for QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2017-2-9_10-32-59.png

Rams QB Jared Goff struggled as a rookie playing for a team led by coaches with defensive backgrounds. USA TODAY Sports

Rams' new staff has the right credentials for QB Jared Goff

By Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- When the Los Angeles Rams began the 2016 season, their entire staff had combined to coach NFL quarterbacks for one year. That's right, one -- an unfathomable lack of experience when considering how much was riding on the development of rookie quarterback Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2016 draft.

The Rams are taking a far different approach now.

On Wednesday, they announced the coaching staff under rookie head coach Sean McVay, a contingent that boasts a combined 18 years as an NFL quarterbacks coach by three different assistants. Matt LaFleur -- the offensive coordinator, though McVay will call plays -- served as quarterbacks coach for the Redskins from 2010 to '13 and the Falcons from 2015 to '16. Greg Olson, the Rams' new quarterbacks coach, held the same role with the 49ers (2001), Bears (2003), Lions (2004-05), Buccaneers (2008-11) and Jaguars (2012). Even Zac Taylor, the assistant wide receivers coach, served as quarterbacks coach for the Dolphins from 2013 to '15.

And that doesn't even include McVay, who spent the past three years as the Redskins' offensive coordinator, implementing a quarterback-friendly offense that is widely credited for the development of Kirk Cousins.

Last season, Goff's coach was Chris Weinke, a former Heisman Trophy winner who entered with only one season of experience as an NFL quarterbacks coach. His previous five years were spent as director of football at IMG Academy. The head coach, Jeff Fisher, and the assistant head coach, Dave McGinnis, came up coaching defenses. The offensive coordinator, Rob Boras, previously coached tight ends.

Goff never stood a chance. He came in as the NFL's youngest quarterback, having never taken a snap from under center or called a play from the huddle in college, and finished with a horrific 22.2 Total QBR in seven starts, all losses. The Rams' focus has since turned to bringing in coaches who can improve the offense, a unit that has amassed the NFL's fewest yards each of the past two seasons. And in doing so, they have put together a staff stocked with quarterback expertise.

LaFleur worked with Robert Griffin III when he was Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2012 and with Matt Ryan when he was MVP in 2016. Olson, who also has extensive experience as an offensive coordinator, got the most out of established quarterbacks like Jeff Garcia and Joey Harrington. He oversaw a Pro Bowl season from Marc Bulger in 2006, helped Josh Freeman break out in 2010, guided Derek Carr through his rookie year in 2014 and helped Blake Bortles take strides as a second-year player in 2015. Taylor spent three years working with Ryan Tannehill, who compiled an 87.7 passer rating under his watch despite playing behind a bad offensive line.

The Rams desperately need Goff to take major strides in his second season, and they believe they have the coaching staff to guide him through it.

[www.espn.com]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
On Wednesday, they announced the coaching staff under rookie head coach Sean McVay, a contingent that boasts a combined 18 years as an NFL quarterbacks coach by three different assistants. Matt LaFleur -- the offensive coordinator, though McVay will call plays -- served as quarterbacks coach for the Redskins from 2010 to '13 and the Falcons from 2015 to '16. Greg Olson, the Rams' new quarterbacks coach, held the same role with the 49ers (2001), Bears (2003), Lions (2004-05), Buccaneers (2008-11) and Jaguars (2012). Even Zac Taylor, the assistant wide receivers coach, served as quarterbacks coach for the Dolphins from 2013 to '15.

And that doesn't even include McVay, who spent the past three years as the Redskins' offensive coordinator, implementing a quarterback-friendly offense that is widely credited for the development of Kirk Cousins.
Finally....Looks like somebody knows what the hell they're doing.
I was always skeptical of Weinke....I knew NOTHING of Rob Boras. I was a little shocked that Cignetti got the job. I was happy to hear Groh was coming aboard..I still say, Schotty & Cigs got a raw deal....& Coach Boo needs to retire.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
LOS ANGELES -- When the Los Angeles Rams began the 2016 season, their entire staff had combined to coach NFL quarterbacks for one year. That's right, one -- an unfathomable lack of experience when considering how much was riding on the development of rookie quarterback Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2016 draft.

I think that's another great illustration as to why the last staff failed so badly on offense and why this new one will present a striking contrast. You've just got to wonder what the hell Fisher was thinking to go into a season with such a dearth of QB coaching experience while rolling the dice on trading up to take a QB #1.

Thankfully, McVay gets it, and his staff hires emphatically reflect that. I think we will see Goff take some big strides forward this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher was such a disaster
I think calling Fisher a disaster is Inappropriate ! He was a Defensive minded coach. He couldn't get us where we wanted to be, But his 1st couple of years turned things around and showed us the possible future! and it was a lot better than what we where getting in previous years. I think he deserves some credit for that anyway.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I can't count how many times I pointed out that first paragraph and was told I was wrong or over reacting. I just hope this new staff is able to deliver what the Rams and us fans so badly need, a better offense led by a well coached young QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Finally....Looks like somebody knows what the hell they're doing.
I was always skeptical of Weinke....I knew NOTHING of Rob Boras. I was a little shocked that Cignetti got the job. I was happy to hear Groh was coming aboard..I still say, Schotty & Cigs got a raw deal....& Coach Boo needs to retire.

I keep remembering that scene from Hard Knocks where Wienke is busting the kid's balls and tells him he's not going to start just because he was the first pick of the draft or something along those lines. It told me a couple things about the staff, first that they felt a need to put that scene up in the show where their prized rookie is being put in his place, and second that they were setting a tone with the entire team in their entire approach with him.

The whole thing was just stupid. They were the ones who moved way up and sold the farm for the kid. So why not bite the bullet and build it all around him and what he can handle from day one? IMO that is where the inexperience of the offensive staff and Fisher's tenuous status in year five cost the Rams that opportunity to move Goff's development forward.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So why not bite the bullet and build it all around him and what he can handle from day one?

I think the reason is, he was such a disaster under center they couldn't do it.
Would have lost every game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep remembering that scene from Hard Knocks where Wienke is busting the kid's balls and tells him he's not going to start just because he was the first pick of the draft or something along those lines. It told me a couple things about the staff, first that they felt a need to put that scene up in the show where their prized rookie is being put in his place, and second that they were setting a tone with the entire team in their entire approach with him.

The whole thing was just stupid. They were the ones who moved way up and sold the farm for the kid. So why not bite the bullet and build it all around him and what he can handle from day one? IMO that is where the inexperience of the offensive staff and Fisher's tenuous status in year five cost the Rams that opportunity to move Goff's development forward.

Dumbest thing I've ever witnessed. I'm now convinced goff was stan's call and case was fisher's way of saying screw you. No competent hc would have handled the situation like Fisher did last season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View attachment 18709
Rams QB Jared Goff struggled as a rookie playing for a team led by coaches with defensive backgrounds. USA TODAY Sports

Rams' new staff has the right credentials for QB Jared Goff

By Alden Gonzalez

The Rams are taking a far different approach now.

Last season, Goff's coach was Chris Weinke, a former Heisman Trophy winner who entered with only one season of experience as an NFL quarterbacks coach. His previous five years were spent as director of football at IMG Academy. The head coach, Jeff Fisher, and the assistant head coach, Dave McGinnis, came up coaching defenses. The offensive coordinator, Rob Boras, previously coached tight ends.

Goff never stood a chance. He came in as the NFL's youngest quarterback, having never taken a snap from under center or called a play from the huddle in college, and finished with a horrific 22.2 Total QBR in seven starts, all losses. The Rams' focus has since turned to bringing in coaches who can improve the offense, a unit that has amassed the NFL's fewest yards each of the past two seasons. And in doing so, they have put together a staff stocked with quarterback expertise.

LaFleur worked with Robert Griffin III when he was Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2012 and with Matt Ryan when he was MVP in 2016. Olson, who also has extensive experience as an offensive coordinator, got the most out of established quarterbacks like Jeff Garcia and Joey Harrington. He oversaw a Pro Bowl season from Marc Bulger in 2006, helped Josh Freeman break out in 2010, guided Derek Carr through his rookie year in 2014 and helped Blake Bortles take strides as a second-year player in 2015. Taylor spent three years working with Ryan Tannehill, who compiled an 87.7 passer rating under his watch despite playing behind a bad offensive line.

The Rams desperately need Goff to take major strides in his second season, and they believe they have the coaching staff to guide him through it.

[www.espn.com]

That was a great read.

There is a LOT of experience with QB's on this staff!