Gonzalez: Rams' new O-line coach sees a young group he can work with

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' new O-line coach sees a young group he can work with

By Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Aaron Kromer, the Los Angeles Rams' new offensive line coach, said he is "excited" about the group he will now oversee, which, on the surface, sounds odd. Kromer is inheriting a collection of offensive linemen who were nothing short of dreadful throughout the 2016 season. They couldn't open holes for their star running back, Todd Gurley, and they couldn't keep their franchise quarterback, Jared Goff, upright.

Not much to be excited about, unless you ask Kromer.

"The reason is the youth," Kromer said. "When you look at it, there’s not many offensive lines in the league that have second- and third-year players across the board, other than the center with five. It’s got to be one of the youngest groups in the league, and the backups are just as young."

Kromer mistakenly omitted Rodger Saffold, a seven-year veteran who might have been the Rams' best offensive lineman this past season. But besides that, he's right. Outside of Saffold and center Tim Barnes, an undrafted free agent from 2011, the Rams' offensive line is awfully young, a product of the seven draft picks used on the position from 2014 to '15.

That includes left tackle Greg Robinson (the second overall pick in 2014), right tackle Rob Havenstein (second round in 2015) and the three linemen who started at right guard this past season: Jamon Brown (third round in 2015), Cody Wichmann (sixth round in 2015) and Andrew Donnal (fourth round in 2015). Besides David Arkin, a fourth-round pick in 2011, all of the incumbent backups have completed no more than three NFL seasons, including Demetrius Rhaney (seventh round in 2014), Darrell Williams (undrafted in 2015) and Pace Murphy (undrafted in 2016).

Kromer believes he can still mold them.

"We've got work to do; we get that," Kromer said. "But I feel good watching the tape of individually their skills that they have and trying to put five guys together that can work together to have success. ... It's going to be a lot of hard work for them; it's going to be a lot of hard work for us. But I think the best quality a coach can have is to be able to teach and be a good communicator. We have to teach these guys exactly what we want and become repetitive with what we're looking for."

Kromer, who replaces longtime coach Paul Boudreau, has spent the last 16 years in the NFL, serving as a senior assistant, a running backs coach, an offensive coordinator, an interim head coach and, mostly, an offensive-line coach. Kromer coached offensive lines for the Raiders (2002 to '04), Buccaneers (2006 to '07), Saints (2009 to '12) and Bills (2015 to '16). During his four-year stint with the Saints, Kromer coached five offensive linemen who went to a combined 10 Pro Bowls. And over his last two years in Buffalo, the Bills led the NFL with 5.06 rushing yards per carry.

Behind the Rams' offensive line in 2016, Gurley averaged 3.18 rushing yards per carry, the second-worst rate in the NFL, and Goff was sacked an NFL-leading 25 times over his last six games.

The first step in turning the offensive line around is deciding what to do with Robinson, but Kromer isn't taking this job with any preconceived notions. He generally doesn't want outside opinions. He'd rather make determinations on his own, and he sees this as "a new start" for every Rams offensive lineman, free to make of it what they want.

"We all know that the whole line has to improve," Kromer said. "We all see that, and you see that on tape. But individually, I see skills, we see skills, in these guys, that if we can pull them together, and get them working together, which we see is possible, that we can get the group much better. It's just going to be a process. I don't know how long that process is going to take. Is it going to take a month, is it going to take a year, is it going to take two years? I don’t know that, and I don't know if we need to add somebody yet. I can’t answer that yet. But I do see individual skills in each one of these guys that should allow them to have success."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMHO of all the Assistants, Aaron Kromer has the toughest job. I felt good about the likes of Wichmann & Brown until this season, where Andrew Donnal who I thought was a horrendous pick outplayed them both.

I'm anxious for the start of free agency and the draft to see truly what Kromer thinks, but this unit seems to have been a struggling unit for the last 10 freaking years.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I wish they could bring in Isaiah Battle, if possible, wasn't he pancaking DL in training camp.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wish they could bring in Isaiah Battle, if possible, wasn't he pancaking DL in training camp.

I do wish we had been able to keep him!!
Pretty sure we could get him back if necessary.

I'm wondering....okay, the guys have a clean slate. Who does Kromer wanna replace first? Sounds like he has a plan...and it doesn't sound like mine of drafting a LT and a Center...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Dude was a behemoth. This is what pissed me off about Fisher and his cronies. They never knew how to develop or use anyone to their full potential. We wasted time, now we are paying for it trying to scrap up pieces to fill in the gaps last minute on a tight budget.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Rams' new O-line coach sees a young group he can work with

By Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Aaron Kromer, the Los Angeles Rams' new offensive line coach, said he is "excited" about the group he will now oversee, which, on the surface, sounds odd. Kromer is inheriting a collection of offensive linemen who were nothing short of dreadful throughout the 2016 season. They couldn't open holes for their star running back, Todd Gurley, and they couldn't keep their franchise quarterback, Jared Goff, upright.

Not much to be excited about, unless you ask Kromer.

"The reason is the youth," Kromer said. "When you look at it, there’s not many offensive lines in the league that have second- and third-year players across the board, other than the center with five. It’s got to be one of the youngest groups in the league, and the backups are just as young."

Kromer mistakenly omitted Rodger Saffold, a seven-year veteran who might have been the Rams' best offensive lineman this past season. But besides that, he's right. Outside of Saffold and center Tim Barnes, an undrafted free agent from 2011, the Rams' offensive line is awfully young, a product of the seven draft picks used on the position from 2014 to '15.

That includes left tackle Greg Robinson (the second overall pick in 2014), right tackle Rob Havenstein (second round in 2015) and the three linemen who started at right guard this past season: Jamon Brown (third round in 2015), Cody Wichmann (sixth round in 2015) and Andrew Donnal (fourth round in 2015). Besides David Arkin, a fourth-round pick in 2011, all of the incumbent backups have completed no more than three NFL seasons, including Demetrius Rhaney (seventh round in 2014), Darrell Williams (undrafted in 2015) and Pace Murphy (undrafted in 2016).

Kromer believes he can still mold them.

"We've got work to do; we get that," Kromer said. "But I feel good watching the tape of individually their skills that they have and trying to put five guys together that can work together to have success. ... It's going to be a lot of hard work for them; it's going to be a lot of hard work for us. But I think the best quality a coach can have is to be able to teach and be a good communicator. We have to teach these guys exactly what we want and become repetitive with what we're looking for."

Kromer, who replaces longtime coach Paul Boudreau, has spent the last 16 years in the NFL, serving as a senior assistant, a running backs coach, an offensive coordinator, an interim head coach and, mostly, an offensive-line coach. Kromer coached offensive lines for the Raiders (2002 to '04), Buccaneers (2006 to '07), Saints (2009 to '12) and Bills (2015 to '16). During his four-year stint with the Saints, Kromer coached five offensive linemen who went to a combined 10 Pro Bowls. And over his last two years in Buffalo, the Bills led the NFL with 5.06 rushing yards per carry.

Behind the Rams' offensive line in 2016, Gurley averaged 3.18 rushing yards per carry, the second-worst rate in the NFL, and Goff was sacked an NFL-leading 25 times over his last six games.

The first step in turning the offensive line around is deciding what to do with Robinson, but Kromer isn't taking this job with any preconceived notions. He generally doesn't want outside opinions. He'd rather make determinations on his own, and he sees this as "a new start" for every Rams offensive lineman, free to make of it what they want.

"We all know that the whole line has to improve," Kromer said. "We all see that, and you see that on tape. But individually, I see skills, we see skills, in these guys, that if we can pull them together, and get them working together, which we see is possible, that we can get the group much better. It's just going to be a process. I don't know how long that process is going to take. Is it going to take a month, is it going to take a year, is it going to take two years? I don’t know that, and I don't know if we need to add somebody yet. I can’t answer that yet. But I do see individual skills in each one of these guys that should allow them to have success."

[www.espn.com]

I hope he is right.
My biggest concern is Grob.

Ram65

Legend
I going to keep an open mind at this point. Havenstein should make a comeback after playing injured. The rest is wait and see except Saffold. He has to stay. Barnes should go. Let's see what happens in free agency and the draft.