Gonzalez: Rams have their reasons for not drafting offensive linemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams have their reasons for not drafting offensive linemen

Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

[www.espn.com]

The Los Angeles Rams fielded what was widely considered one of the NFL's worst offensive lines this past season, but did not select a single offensive lineman in this year's draft.

What gives?

It makes a lot more sense once you dive deeper.

First, consider their free-agent signings. They splurged on a left tackle, as they should, signing Andrew Whitworth to a three-year contract that guaranteed him $15 million. They released center Tim Barnes, but replaced him with John Sullivan, a six-year fixture on the Vikings' offensive line until back issues crept up in 2015. Whitworth, however, is 35, his window closing. Sullivan, 31, came over on only a one-year contract. And the Rams still don't have a young, long-term solution at left tackle or center.

But this didn't seem like the draft to get one.

It was deep at several different positions, but offensive linemen certainly was not one of them. For the first time in the common draft era, which dates back to 1967, no offensive linemen were taken within the top 15. Only two were taken in the entire first round. And only one, Garett Bolles at 20th overall to the Broncos, went within the top 31. The draft was especially devoid of left tackles. It had some intriguing centers for the middle and late rounds, but the Rams instead signed a couple of undrafted free agents -- Jake Eldrenkamp out of Washington and Anthony McMeans out of New Mexico State -- who will work out at center for them.

Last year's Rams offensive line was rated 27th by Pro Football Focus. Behind it, Jared Goff absorbed 25 sacks over his last six games and Todd Gurley averaged the second-fewest yards before first contact. But there's a key reason the Rams didn't address it in the draft, outside the lack of talent available and the free agents they signed: new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer wants to mold the linemen he inherits.

"There are a lot of guys in our group that he wanted to work with and felt like they may be better than some of the rookies in this draft class," Rams general manager Les Snead told reporters from the team facility on Saturday night.

“We really wanted a close look. ‘Do we need offensive linemen or do we not?’ Because if you go back, we had the ‘16 season and we had the ‘15 season. The ‘15 season, we’re probably a top-five rush team, we’re a top-five sacks-per-play-allowed team. Then, you go to ‘16 and we’re basically bottom 30 in both of those categories with probably the same starting lineup. So at some point, between ‘15 and ‘16, you’re on opposite ends of the spectrum. But these guys were young, got experience, and we felt like there was some upside there."

One of the most appealing aspects of this job for Kromer was his ability to develop. He talked about it shortly after being hired, saying: "I’m excited about this group, and the reason is the youth. When you look at it, there’s not many offensive lines in the league that have second- and third-year players across the board."

It's a result of the Rams drafting seven offensive linemen from 2014 to '15, six of whom remain on the roster.

Greg Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in 2014 who will not have his fifth-year option exercised, will transition from left tackle to right tackle. Rob Havenstein, a second-round pick in 2015, is moving from right tackle to right guard. Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann, all headed into their third year, will get reps at different positions in hopes of finding their best fits. Aside from Whitworth and left guard Rodger Saffold, the Rams' best lineman last season, starting spots are up for grabs.

"We feel good," first-year Rams head coach Sean McVay said of his offensive linemen. "I think coming out of that minicamp really enabled us to have a better feel for our depth up front."

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I like the optimism and hope they can mold a cohesive unit with the parts we have. 2016 sure was an enigma hoping for the best

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think there were some fundamentals in the system that weren't right last year - I really don't think it was down to the players. We had no cohesive system to talk about and it's been noted on other sites and threads that the system was one of the most difficult to learn but the easiest to take apart.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Grob was miscast, hav was hurt, and Barnes was just bad. Those 3 changes, a new all pro tackle and Center, being coached by a better staff and better game plan, will make a world of difference

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer wants to mold the linemen he inherits.

"There are a lot of guys in our group that he wanted to work with and felt like they may be better than some of the rookies in this draft class," Rams general manager Les Snead told reporters from the team facility on Saturday night.

“We really wanted a close look. ‘Do we need offensive linemen or do we not?’ Because if you go back, we had the ‘16 season and we had the ‘15 season. The ‘15 season, we’re probably a top-five rush team, we’re a top-five sacks-per-play-allowed team. Then, you go to ‘16 and we’re basically bottom 30 in both of those categories with probably the same starting lineup. So at some point, between ‘15 and ‘16, you’re on opposite ends of the spectrum. But these guys were young, got experience, and we felt like there was some upside there."
This^^, IMHO, is what it all boils-down-to! This is why we didn't Draft O-Lineman! And Kromer got one UDFA O-Lineman Snead said Kromer specifically ask for! ( Although Snead refused to ID which one it was!!)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think this further delves into why they passed on Lamp when he supposedly fell to them. They had the minicamp to evaluate what the had and also had meetings with Lamp before the draft. We still don't know about the rumors of Lamp's potential medical issues so maybe that played in as well.

My main thought remains that I think we all saw improvement and what appeared to be some pretty good players on the O-line suddenly regress last year. Because of that, hearing them talk about wanting to work with those players and that they saw the very same thing, surprises me and disappoints me not at all. I remember many of us talking about it last year as it was unfolding. Many were asking what happened to our O-line and the players like Hav and JBrown.

I'm just going to hope for the best and that what many of us saw happening is correctable. IMO - it is very possible that the Rams actually DO have O-line players that are both young, and better than what was available via the draft THIS YEAR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Center remains the concern for myself. They must be really high on one of the guys they plan to move over.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think this further delves into why they passed on Lamp when he supposedly fell to them. They had the minicamp to evaluate what the had and also had meetings with Lamp before the draft. We still don't know about the rumors of Lamp's potential medical issues so maybe that played in as well.

My main thought remains that I think we all saw improvement and what appeared to be some pretty good players on the O-line suddenly regress last year. Because of that, hearing them talk about wanting to work with those players and that they saw the very same thing, surprises me and disappoints me not at all. I remember many of us talking about it last year as it was unfolding. Many were asking what happened to our O-line and the players like Hav and JBrown.

I'm just going to hope for the best and that what many of us saw happening is correctable. IMO - it is very possible that the Rams actually DO have O-line players that are both young, and better than what was available via the draft THIS YEAR.
Some of them where better in 2015 as Rookie's, then they where in 2016. Maybe it was a "Sophomore-Slump!" IDK. But they played better as Rookie's!(y):)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Center remains the concern for myself. They must be really high on one of the guys they plan to move over.
Could be and it would make sense. I highly doubt they have no plan at all to address back up and/or future center. It doesn't seem to fit the story of McV being highly detail oriented.

JRobinson

MiLB
At the end of the day I agree with RamFan503. It's obvious that the grades our staff had on the offensive lineman coming out of the draft was not very high. They clearly thought that what we had on the current roster could at least achieve the level of play or better than those potential draft picks. Now, there is no denying that there is still some weakness on the offensive line as a whole. However, if Kromer feels like he has enough to work with, and mold guys into something that is of starting caliber, then I believe in that first. The statistics are clearly there as to the amount of sacks given up, and the amount of rushing yards created in 2015. It has become very apparent that 2016 was a complete fluke. McVay will undoubtably find a way to create consistency upfront. The signing of Andrew Whitworth backs up this fact. Personally, I do not expect our offensive line to be a top five perennial unit. But I definitely expect them to be better than last year.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
I like it. Believe in the guys you draft. Train them up. Get rid of the ones you think are holding back the group effort, and roll with those you trust in. Love the one you're with.

Obviously the recievers didnt get that kinda love :hiding: