Gonzalez: Rams coach Sean McVay still waiting on full attendance at OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alden Gonzalez

upload_2017-6-6_7-12-19.png

New Rams coach Sean McVay said his hope and expectation is that his entire roster will be present at next week's mandatory minicamp. AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Trumaine Johnson, the Los Angeles Rams' franchise cornerback, returned to practice Monday after missing organized team activities last week. But defensive tackle Aaron Donald remained absent, while hoping for a restructured contract. Right tackle Greg Robinson and outside linebacker Connor Barwin also were not present, but Rams coach Sean McVay said they had excused absences and both are expected back shortly.

OTAs are voluntary, and only Donald's absence seems to have a real motivation behind it.

But with the Rams having an entirely new coaching staff that is implementing an entirely new system on both sides of the ball, it is notable that key players have been missing throughout OTAs. The three-day, mandatory minicamp takes place next week, running from Tuesday to Thursday, and McVay is hoping everybody is accounted for.

"You always hope for it," McVay said. "Each day, you're kind of ready to take on new challenges and things come up. That's our hope, that's our expectation, and I guess we'll find out next week."

Johnson will play the 2017 season under a $16.74 million franchise tag unless he and the Rams agree to an extension by July 15. The Rams, though, have stated that they want to first see if Johnson can be a fit under new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' system. Johnson doesn't believe that will be an issue.

"I can play man, I can play off, I can play zone, I can play waterboy," he said. "I can play anything y'all want to play, man."

His absence, however, was "not at all" contract related, he said.

"I had a personal situation I needed to handle," Johnson said. "That's about it."

Johnson missed the second week. Robinson was joined by outside linebacker Connor Barwin and outside corner E.J. Gaines in missing the start of the third week. Donald, by far the game's best interior pass-rusher, has missed OTAs in their entirety. And it is no certainty that he will show up next week, though Donald would face about a $75,000 fine for missing the three-day minicamp.

"Real tough," Johnson said of being without Donald. "There's a business side of football too, but we'd love to have him back."

McVay's hope during this voluntary period is simply that "there is clear and open communication." Johnson failed to communicate the first time he was absent on Tuesday, but said he reached out to McVay and his teammates the following day.

"As a coach, you're always going to want the guys here," McVay said. "But you also understand the framework of the way this stuff is set up in the offseason program."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, with Johnson & Gaines gone too more reps for Michael Jordan & Kevin Peterson to CB's I want to see more of, although I still felt Jordan seemed better suited for Safety, but let's see how this preseason goes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Outside corner is our biggest issue on the defense. Premium opportunity for one of these unknown or lesser known outside corners to prove themselves. If I were Tru or EJ I would not let a NRC, Countess, Jordan, Penton, Webster and others get a leg up in this new defense.....Wade might take a strong liken to a couple real early.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I really like how Tru is handling things.

Granted, he's being paid very well regardless... but he could be pouting over the tag or the suggestion the Rams want to see him in the new D.

Kudos to him.

fearsomefour

Legend

Granted, he's being paid very well regardless... but he could be pouting over the tag or the suggestion the Rams want to see him in the new D.

Kudos to him.
No reason to pout.
He wouldn't make that kind of money, even on a one year deal anywhere else.
What is the market for him realistically? 11-12 per year on a multi year deal?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Only 11-12 if he makes pro bowl and team goes to playoffs. Without those escalators I'd say 9-10M only.
If that's your offer than be ready to replace him next offseason. He's not signing for under 10M a year when he just made almost 17M.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His absence, however, was "not at all" contract related, he said.

"I had a personal situation I needed to handle," Johnson said. "That's about it."

Kudos to him.
There is NO reason for Tru to miss any camp with that contract he SIGNED....Wish we could rescind the tag....What the hell is he pouting about at $16 million for one season? Didn't he make $12 million last year too????

And G-Rob & EJ should be there to see the install of the new defense. Greg's agent shoulda MADE him come. EJ is crazy as well....

Pro's...professionals...sorta like the other major professions, medical & legal....so many fake ones out there...only out to steal our money.

The ONLY RAM player that has a beef and could possibly hold out without consequences is Donald...and he should be here too...He's a leader...show up...go EASY (don't get hurt....or try not to)...and wait for the money to rain in.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" Mandatory" means " Mandatory" If any player doesn't show up for any reason, other than a true emergency! McVay needs to show them who's Boss!! JMO!!

fearsomefour

Legend
If that's your offer than be ready to replace him next offseason. He's not signing for under 10M a year when he just made almost 17M.
Some room for variables there. Mostly money that is guarenteed if it's a multi year deal.
He is a good player but I'm not any DB is worth $16M.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First, I'm willing to take Tru and McVay at their word that this was a "personal matter" thing. For now.

Second, den makes a good point. Tru's absence gave others more snaps. Snaps that might make for better cutdown decisions later. Same holds true for others missing OTA's for whatever reasons.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Top CB contracts this year were Gilmore and Bouye, each of whom is getting roughly $13mm/year with $31mm and $26mm guaranteed, respectively. Compared to the Jenkins contract, that's a year over year increase of 6% in yearly average and roughly even WRT total guarantees. (I forgot to include Trufant, but his deal is similar to Gilmore/Bouye).

It stands to reason, then, that Johnson on the open market will be looking at a Darius Slay/Janoris Jenkins contract.

That said, he'll face a fairly stacked CB market, with Malcolm Butler, Morris Claiborne, Vontae Davis, Xavier Rhodes, Marcus Williams, LaMarcus Joyner all currently slated to be UFAs with top talent in their primes. So it's possible the asking price for CBs is lower next year than it was this.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No reason to pout.
He wouldn't make that kind of money, even on a one year deal anywhere else.
What is the market for him realistically? 11-12 per year on a multi year deal?

There is NO reason for Tru to miss any camp with that contract he SIGNED....Wish we could rescind the tag....What the hell is he pouting about at $16 million for one season? Didn't he make $12 million last year too????

And G-Rob & EJ should be there to see the install of the new defense. Greg's agent shoulda MADE him come. EJ is crazy as well....

Pro's...professionals...sorta like the other major professions, medical & legal....so many fake ones out there...only out to steal our money.

The ONLY RAM player that has a beef and could possibly hold out without consequences is Donald...and he should be here too...He's a leader...show up...go EASY (don't get hurt....or try not to)...and wait for the money to rain in.

Most tagged players do pout, however. The annual salary is outstanding, but for a football player the guarantees and long term security is usually why.

But, I see your points.