Gonzalez: Jared Goff 'wants to be great' and is putting in the work

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2017-5-13_10-8-18.png

"I love it that he's around," Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said of QB Jared Goff.

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams' weight room is located on the east end of their facility and opens up to their two practice fields on the Cal Lutheran University campus. Jared Goff stood there for most of Friday morning, stationed beneath a blue overhang while watching 51 rookies -- some drafted, some undrafted, some merely taking up space -- navigate through a practice of little importance to a franchise quarterback.

off, coming off a catastrophic rookie season, has been exceedingly present this spring. Every weekday since the start of the team's offseason program April 10, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick has been at Rams headquarters, studying film, learning verbiage, slinging footballs and familiarizing himself with teammates, even the rookies who won't make it past this weekend.

He wants to be great," new offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said Friday, the start of the Rams' two-day rookie minicamp. "He’s doing everything that we’ve asked him to do, and then some. He’s working hard every day. I think he’s getting better every day."

Goff struggled mightily in the seven games he played last season, all of them losses. He completed 54.6 percent of his passes, averaged 5.3 yards per attempt, threw five touchdowns to seven interceptions and finished it all with a 22.2 Total QBR, the NFL's second-worst mark from Weeks 11 to 17.

NFL rules didn't allow Goff to communicate with the new staff for the first three months of the ensuing offseason, so with the blessing of LaFleur and rookie head coach Sean McVay, he worked with noted quarterback guru Tom House in Los Angeles. And over the past five weeks, he has immersed himself into the Rams, more present and available than any other returning player.

"He’s coming in early and staying late," LaFleur said. "He’s really grasped the offense surprisingly fast, especially for a new guy. When you get a new guy in an offense, there is a transition period with that, but he’s doing a nice job of picking it up at a surprisingly quick pace."

LaFleur, 37, was the quarterbacks coach when Robert Griffin III was Offensive Rookie of the Year with the Redskins in 2012 and when Matt Ryan was the MVP with the Falcons in 2016. He traveled west and found Goff to be particularly eager. LaFleur called him "a sponge" and said it has been "a joy to work with him thus far."

Rookie slot receiver Cooper Kupp, a third-round pick out of Eastern Washington, said he's seen Goff everywhere.

"I worked out with him during this draft process, and it was very clear the tenacity he has and the desire he has to win," Kupp, who shares an agent with Goff, said Friday. "That’s going to show. It just so happens that there’s people here to see it, but that’s something that’s going to be going on when there’s no cameras here. These are off days, and he’s going to be at the facility."

Goff will be 22 for another five months. He's still one of the youngest players in the league, but he is being groomed to be the face of this franchise. And now, unlike last year, his starting job is solidified from the onset.

LaFleur sees Goff "really trying to take that step and be the leader we need him to be."

"I think that encourages those guys that are coming in," LaFleur said. "I love it that he’s around. I don’t think, if you go around the league, you’re going to find too many teams where the starting quarterback is sitting there watching these rookies in their rookie minicamp. I know he’s excited about some of the pieces we’ve added."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad the kid is working hard, now go out and win some damn football games!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Glad the kid is working hard, now go out and win some damn football games!
From the sounds of things, it won't be for lack of trying or working hard. Also good to see that no coaches are trying to "slow his roll" or limit his effort and exposure. Such a breath of fresh air!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also good to see that no coaches are trying to "slow his roll" or limit his effort and exposure. Such a breath of fresh air!

I agree and I don't know why when it comes to Goff I have trepidations. I realize the Kid was set up for failure and the offensive line was atrocious, but I guess I can't get over wanting Wentz. However, now with McVay, LaFleur and Olson and the fact that Goff is totally immersed in turning this around I should be, for lack of a better word, EXCITED!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I could read this all day.
Hopefully, McVay passed some info to Tom House ro teach Goff, since the coaches couldnt.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My advise to Goff, Don't pay any attention to all these Reporters who love looking back at the past! Concentrate on the future!

living-in-the-past.jpg

WestCoastRam

Legend
I have had my doubts about Goff but at least the as @ReddingRam said, "it won't be for his lack of trying." Nor will it be because the front office didn't try to give him every reasonable opportunity to succeed from installing a coaching staff to put him in the best possible position to getting FA pieces to support him on the field.

I just wish we had given more support to Bradford. I absolutely believe we are the reason he's not a top 10 QB in the league.

Last edited:

BeefJurky

Rookie
Man fuck this is the longest offseason ever for me.
I might even make the trip down to SoCal for week 1 for my first ever NFL game.

I can't wait for football.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
I’m impressed with the maturity and leadership he has shown at such a young age. I remember seeing how genuinely excited his Cal teammates were when he was drafted 1st overall. That spoke volumes to how well liked and respected he was. Obviously, he has a long way to go to develop into a top tier NFL quarterback, but I’m very encouraged he is going about it the right way.

thomonkey

UDFA
Name
thomonkey
no rookie would have succeeded as the rams qb last year. we'll truly see who the best qb from this class is in 2018/2019. my money is on goff. dak is overrated and has terrible mechanics. wentz is closer to goff on football iq and physical talent but imo goff is more talented physically.

the qb ratings at the end of the season will be dak>wentz>Goff in 2017/2018 but then goff>wentz>dak in 2019/2020. jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I really hope Goff succeeds, not just for the sake of having a true franchise quarterback, but because he deserves it with all of the work he's putting in.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’m impressed with the maturity and leadership he has shown at such a young age. I remember seeing how genuinely excited his Cal teammates were when he was drafted 1st overall. That spoke volumes to how well liked and respected he was. Obviously, he has a long way to go to develop into a top tier NFL quarterback, but I’m very encouraged he is going about it the right way.

I agree. From an effort standpoint; it sounds like he's doing everything we could possibly hope for.

In my experience; you combine talent with genuine effort and hardwork... usually it ends in a good result.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone noticed how different the new staff's handling of the QB position is from Fisher's staff?

Instead of tearing Goff down using the media, they're building him up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone noticed how different the new staff's handling of the QB position is from Fisher's staff?

Instead of tearing Goff down using the media, they're building him up.
And giving him freedom to do his thing. It's night and day from this time last year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/...f-has-vested-interest-rams-rookies/101654236/

Jared Goff stood in the shade, leaning up against the entrance to the weight room, eyes focused on the grass.

It was only a first glimpse, but the Rams franchise quarterback made sure he was there Friday morning to see his new teammates open rookie camp at Cal Lutheran University.

“This isn’t the first time I’ve seen Jared around,” rookie receiver Cooper Kupp said. “I worked out with him in during this draft process and it was very clear the tenacity he has, the desire he has to win.

“These are off days and he’s going to be at the facility. He’s going to be making sure that he’s putting this team in the best position to win.”

While 51 rookies and free agents were doing their best to make a memorable first impression with the new coaching staff, the most important player on the Rams roster was among the watchful eyes.

“He’s really trying to take that step and be the leader we need him to be,” offensive coordinator Matt Lafleur said. “I think that encourages those guys that are coming in. I love it, that he’s around.

“I don’t think, if you go around the league, you’re going to find too many teams where the starting quarterback is sitting there watching these rookies in their rookie mini-camp. I know he’s excited about some of the pieces we’ve added. I think it’s great for us, as an organization.”

The Rams and Goff remain very much in a committed relationship. The team followed its investment in its quarterback by hiring an offensive-oriented head coach and adding offensive weapons via free agency and the draft.

@CVRamsClubpic.twitter.com/QIqCyU0zXI

— Ventura County Star (@vcstar) May 13, 2017
Meanwhile, according to the coaching staff, Goff has been just as committed to the Rams as they have been to him.

“He wants to be great,” Lafleur said. “He’s doing everything that we’ve asked him to do, and then some.”

The Rams are at the tail end of the second of three offseason training phases. The coaching staff is still getting to know the roster it inherited.

636303057284567825-Rams-Reynolds.jpg

Wide receiver Josh Reynolds, grabbing a pass during rookie camp Friday, is one of several pass catchers the Rams have taken in the last two drafts. (Photo: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

The coaching staff seems pleasantly surprised with what it has at the most important position.

“I’ll be honest with you, I think he’s a little more accurate than I anticipated,” Lafleur said. “That got me excited. Obviously, he’s got a big arm. Until you work with a guy, you don’t really know.

“Obviously, I studied him coming out in the draft, and I knew he had some of the characteristics that you look for. He is a natural thrower. He’s tough and he’s throwing the ball with surprisingly, really good accuracy.”

But the second-year player seems to be matching effort with skill as he attempts to make progress after a difficult rookie season.

G0015824443--450415.JPG

Jared Goff has impressed the Rams' new coaching staff and the team continues to add more potential playmakers around the second-year quarterback. (Photo: STEPHEN DUNN/GETTY IMAGES)

“It means he’s doing the little things, day in and day out,” Lafleur said. “He’s coming in early and staying late. He’s really grasped the offensive surprisingly fast, especially for a new guy. When you get a new guy in an offense, there is a transition period with that, but he’s doing a nice job of picking it up at a surprisingly quick pace.”