Gonzalez: Greg Robinson will have to fight for a starting RT job-ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2017-5-31_11-56-8.png

reg Robinson committed an NFL-leading 31 total penalties over the last two years and was graded 71st among 78 qualified tackles by Pro Football Focus in 2016. Brad Mills/USA TODAY Sports
10:27 AM ET
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Greg Robinson will tell you he didn't see this coming, but he's happy to at least still be a tackle.

"Just the space," Robinson said. "It’s more natural for me."

Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in 2014, struggled mightily at left tackle during his first three NFL seasons, prompting a switch to the right side. The Los Angeles Rams opted against picking up his fifth-year option earlier this spring, and now they're not even sure if Robinson will start. Jamon Brown, a guard through his first two years, was the one taking first-team snaps at right tackle during organized team activities on Tuesday, leaving Robinson to get his work done alongside the backups.

It's still early, though, and Robinson will tell you he's "getting accustomed" to his new position.

"The first week or so was a tough one, but I’m getting it down," he said. "As a goal, all I’m planning on doing is proving with every opportunity I can that I can do well on the right side."

Robinson committed an NFL-leading 31 total penalties over the last two years and was graded 71st among 78 qualified tackles by Pro Football Focus in 2016, a year when the offensive line's struggles made life miserable on quarterback Jared Goff and running back Todd Gurley. The Rams have since guaranteed $15 million to a 35-year-old Andrew Whitworth, solidifying themselves at left tackle and prompting change throughout the right side.

Rob Havenstein is transitioning from right tackle to right guard, a move prompted by the Rams' belief that he can do a better job of picking up assignments in the interior.

Right tackle, said first-year coach Sean McVay, "is something that we’re evaluating."

Brown, a third-round pick in 2015, made all of his starts at tackle for Louisville, starting on the right side before moving to the left. But with Robinson on the roster and Havenstein selected a round earlier, the Rams, under Jeff Fisher, used Brown mostly at left and right guard, giving him a combined 14 starts there in 2015-16. Going back to right tackle "was just kind of a suggestion last week because they’re trying to plug in guys and evaluate guys at different spots," Brown said.

McVay said Robinson has "shown some good signs" at right tackle, but also stated that Brown's athleticism and strength show up there.

The majority of the stuff comes back pretty natural, just because that’s what I’ve been doing for the four years I was in college," Brown said. "It’s kind of easy to just kind of knock the rust off and just get back to doing what I do. "

Whitworth, a three-time Pro Bowler, has been helping Robinson any way he can. He's trying to act as "positive reinforcement," Whitworth said, talking through schemes, walking through technique and simply making himself available. He stands as a much-needed third veteran on this offensive line, along with left guard Rodger Saffold and center John Sullivan.

But Robinson, 24, must carve his own path.

"Honestly, just another day on the field is an opportunity," he said. "That’s all I’m looking forward to. I’m willing to just prove myself in any way I can, and every day that’s the only thing I’m focused on. Since the beginning I’ve been trying my best. In terms of my play, I wouldn’t say I’m satisfied. All I can do is keep stacking blocks and continue building."

[www.espn.com]

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kromer and his staff will finally give GRob the teaching and coaching Boudreau failed in doing. Saffold's statement proves Boo was ineffective.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmmmmm

I'd like to see what McVay & Kroomer think after watching a month of tape...IN PADS....but I always thought Jamon Brown had some talent. That moving him around the line before the season was his undoing....I also think G-Rob has the skills to play tackle...Left or Right....Pads baby...when do they start hitting????

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...eg-robinson-upbeat-despite-rams-otas-demotion

Greg Robinson upbeat despite Rams OTAs demotion

Greg Robinson has been the butt of many jokes lobbed at the Los Angeles Rams. It's not getting any better for the former No. 2 overall pick.

The offensive tackle was awful his first three seasons, necessitating L.A. to bring in a replacement in 35-year-old Andrew Whitworth. Then the team declined Robinson's fifth-year option and moved him to right tackle. Now, during organized team activities this week, he was demoted to second string, for at least a stint.

Through it all, Robinson is trying to stay positive.

"Whatever opportunities I have, I'm looking forward to my future," he said, via the Los Angeles Times. "Hopefully, it's with the Rams.

"I don't really know how that's going to go, but whatever opportunities come my way, I've just got to take advantage of it."

The "hopefully, it's with the Rams" comment sounds like ominous foreshadowing but jobs aren't won or lost during OTAs. The true indictment will come if Robinson can't beat out Jamon Brown (who took the first-team right tackle reps in his place this week) during training camp.

Robinson admitted he has some ways to go in learning the new position.

"I made a few mistakes that put me down," Robinson said. "But I just look at it as a little fire up under me. I try my best to come out every day and redeem myself."

There is an adjustment period for Robinson learning a new side of the line, and new coach Sean McVay noted the 24-year-old "has shown some good signs." It wasn't enough to keep him with the starting group through non-contact, non-padded OTAs.

With a coaching staff in place that isn't tied to Robinson, the Rams aren't beholden to starting the high draft pick. Robinson's battle to regain and keep a starting spot will be one thing to keep an eye on during training camp this summer. Elsewise, the draft bust could get jettisoned before his rookie contract is up.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...eg-robinson-upbeat-despite-rams-otas-demotion
Greg Robinson upbeat despite Rams OTAs demotion
By Kevin Patra
Greg Robinson has been the butt of many jokes lobbed at the Los Angeles Rams. It's not getting any better for the former No. 2 overall pick.

The offensive tackle was awful his first three seasons, necessitating L.A. to bring in a replacement in 35-year-old Andrew Whitworth. Then the team declined Robinson's fifth-year option and moved him to right tackle. Now, during organized team activities this week, he was demoted to second string, for at least a stint.

Through it all, Robinson is trying to stay positive.

"Whatever opportunities I have, I'm looking forward to my future," he said, via the Los Angeles Times. "Hopefully, it's with the Rams.

"I don't really know how that's going to go, but whatever opportunities come my way, I've just got to take advantage of it."

The "hopefully, it's with the Rams" comment sounds like ominous foreshadowing but jobs aren't won or lost during OTAs. The true indictment will come if Robinson can't beat out Jamon Brown (who took the first-team right tackle reps in his place this week) during training camp.

Robinson admitted he has some ways to go in learning the new position.

"I made a few mistakes that put me down," Robinson said. "But I just look at it as a little fire up under me. I try my best to come out every day and redeem myself."

There is an adjustment period for Robinson learning a new side of the line, and new coach Sean McVay noted the 24-year-old "has shown some good signs." It wasn't enough to keep him with the starting group through non-contact, non-padded OTAs.

With a coaching staff in place that isn't tied to Robinson, the Rams aren't beholden to starting the high draft pick. Robinson's battle to regain and keep a starting spot will be one thing to keep an eye on during training camp this summer. Elsewise, the draft bust could get jettisoned before his rookie contract is up.

Unlike Brown....I have NEVER SEEN Greg ran over and on his back from a pass rusher. This alone give me reason to pause, and hope this guy gets it together....I just heard a Gruden play from Chris Simms...if McVay's are like that, I can see the reason for his struggles....The object of a coach is to get his best players on the field ready to play...Goff is this...and so is Greg Robinson.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Fighting for the right tackle job?
HELL.

I would tell him that he is fighting for a roster spot.

That's where I to tell him.

A55VA6

Legend
My bet is Robinson is either cut or will be a backup. Maybe he'll prove me wrong though.