Gonzalez: ESPN:Rams can have new starters at 14 of 26 positions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With free agency and the draft in the rearview mirror, and organized team activities and minicamps in full swing, here’s a starting lineup projection for the Los Angeles Rams:

OFFENSE (THREE WRs)

QB: Jared Goff: The 2016 No. 1 overall pick is the unquestioned starter from the onset this season and will have a lot to prove under an entirely new coaching staff.

RB: Todd Gurley: He went from being the Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2015 to one of the least productive runners in 2016, so which one is the real Todd Gurley?

LT: Andrew Whitworth: The Rams signed Whitworth to a three-year, $33.75 million contract this offseason because he remains one of the game's best pass-blockers, even at 35.

LG: Rodger Saffold: The Rams' offensive line struggled mightily last season, but Saffold, heading into his eighth year with the organization, actually played pretty well.

C: John Sullivan: The 31-year-old started 93 of 96 games for the Vikings from 2009 to '14, but spent the 2015 season recovering from back issues and was a Redskins backup in 2016.

RG: Rob Havenstein: A second-round pick in 2015, Havenstein turned in a solid rookie season, but struggled a bit in 2016 and will now move from right tackle.

RT: Greg Robinson: He was the No. 2 overall pick in 2014, but struggled at left tackle in his first three seasons and is transitioning to the right side.

TE: Gerald Everett: The 44th overall pick in 2017 is athletic and promising but still a little bit raw, and will compete with the young Tyler Higbee for the primary role.

WR: Tavon Austin: The Rams want the 5-foot-8 Austin to develop into more of a deep threat, a la DeSean Jackson with Sean McVay's Redskins, and simply need more production out of him.

WR: Robert Woods: The former USC star and ex-Bills receiver was signed to a five-year, $34 million contract over the offseason and is looking to elevate his game in his hometown.

WR: Cooper Kupp: He is a precise runner who finished his stint at Eastern Washington with a collegiate-record 6,464 receiving yards and could develop into a reliable target out of the slot.

DEFENSE (3-4-4)

DE: Dominique Easley: The former first-round pick of the Patriots had a nice, under-the-radar, bounce-back season with the Rams in 2016 and looks like the favorite to lock down a starting spot now that William Hayes is gone.

NT: Michael Brockers: The Rams signed Brockers, the 14th overall pick in 2012, to a three-year, $33.25 million extension early last season.

DE: Aaron Donald: Wade Phillips' switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 won't change much of anything for Donald -- he will still be a 3-technique, and he will probably still be the game's greatest pass-rusher.

OLB: Connor Barwin: Barwin struggled with the Eagles last season while switching from outside linebacker to defensive end and operating from a different side of the field, but was a very steady producer in five prior seasons.

ILB: Alec Ogletree: A captain last season, Ogletree finished with 136 tackles and a career-best Approximate Value of 13.

ILB: Mark Barron: A hybrid linebacker/safety throughout his career, Barron will probably remain strictly an inside linebacker this season as he tries to carve out a role in Phillips' system.

OLB: Robert Quinn: He compiled 40 sacks from 2012 to '14, but has started only a combined 15 games the past two seasons and will now transition from defensive end to outside linebacker.

CB: Trumaine Johnson: Unless the two sides agree to an extension within the next two months, Johnson will play under the franchise tag for his second consecutive season.

FS: Lamarcus Joyner: Joyner has excelled as a slot corner these past two seasons, but will look to play free safety -- a position he played at Florida State -- when the Rams are in their 3-4 set.

SS: Maurice Alexander: The departure of T.J. McDonald prompted Alexander, a fourth-round pick in 2014, to move from free safety to strong safety, a spot the Rams believe best suits him.

CB: Kayvon Webster: The No. 2 spot at corner will probably be a competition between Webster and E.J. Gaines, but Webster might have the advantage because he spent the past two seasons as a backup on Phillips' Broncos defense.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: Greg Zuerlein: The 29-year-old has one of the strongest legs in the NFL and improved his field-goal percentage from 66.7 to 86.4 last season, earning a three-year extension.

P: Johnny Hekker: Last season, Hekker was named first-team All-Pro for the third time and placed a record 53 punts inside an opponents' 20-yard line, cementing his reputation as the game's best punter.

KR: Pharoh Cooper: A fourth-round pick in 2016, Cooper will compete for a more prominent role in the offense but seems primed to replace the departed Benny Cunningham as the Rams' kick returner.

PR: Austin: From 2013 to '16, Austin averaged 8.92 yards per punt return -- ranked 18th among 29 qualified returners -- and turned three into touchdowns.

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm very upset that Mr. Gonzalez did not include Long Snapper Jake McQuaide who is one of the finest long snappers in the NFL and a graduate from The Ohio State University.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Man, that front 7 is sexy. So hyped to see how they'll work out under Phillips. Huge potential

Indeed! It is nice to know that they are in Phillips' capable hands. Hopefully health abounds and they astound.

Had not really considered it until seeing it in print but there are 6 first round draft picks in those projected front 7 starters. Baron and Easley were great bargain basement pickups (Although Baron's new contract is not bargain basement).

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
For some reason I feel a lot better after looking at that roster breakdown than I did this time last year. We may not have the horses or experience to field a top 15 offense this year, but there certainly seems to be a vision and cohesiveness with this staff. I honestly never felt that way about the prior staff when it came to offense. Going into last season, I had no doubt they would trot out that horizontal passing scheme and run up the gut regardless of personnel and defensive looks. #stubborn

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Man, that front 7 is sexy. So hyped to see how they'll work out under Phillips. Huge potential
To me this is the most important thing to see! I don't want to see the Rams Defensive Rep take a step backward because they have switched to a 3-4 from a 4-3!! Being Older, I take change very carefully!!

Ram65

Legend
Looks like a big improvement already. There will be lots of sub packages too. I would think Tyler Higbee starts early on as he should be better at blocking with a year in the NFL. In the mix in the secondary would be Nickell Robey-Coleman
and John Johnson III. The defense could be great while the offense looks much improved on the line and in the skill positions. The Rams have managed to build some depth. It will be interesting to see the rotations on the DL, Secondary and WR/TE groups.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm super excited to see Philips defense implemented. While I loved Williams aggressive style the risk-reward factor was a bit much for me. I expect less blitzing and less mistakes. Philips doesn't blitz quite as much but he will send "dogs" a good amount. (5 vs 6 or more rushers).

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Getting a little tired of Kupp constantly being talked about as just a slot receiver. He's a lot more than just a slot guy and I hope he gets to showcase that this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm very upset that Mr. Gonzalez did not include Long Snapper Jake McQuaide who is one of the finest long snappers in the NFL and a graduate from The Ohio State University.
Don't you mean THE Ohio Sate University

jap

Legend

That's all a tribute to how good he is. Jake does his job so well he has become the Invisible Man.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cooper Kupp was a 3rd round pick for a reason. If he shows that he's an outside receiver and a starter or spot starter out there we'll have to consider ourselves very very lucky! More likely he will be a day one starter in the slot (which is pretty decent for a 3rd round receiver in his first year) and perhaps we'll see more out of him outside in 2018 and 2019 when he gets more acclimated to the NFL or shows that his football speed and ability to beat press is really far superior to what was anticipated.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Cooper Kupp was a 3rd round pick for a reason. If he shows that he's an outside receiver and a starter or spot starter out there we'll have to consider ourselves very very lucky! More likely he will be a day one starter in the slot (which is pretty decent for a 3rd round receiver in his first year) and perhaps we'll see more out of him outside in 2018 and 2019 when he gets more acclimated to the NFL or shows that his football speed and ability to beat press is really far superior to what was anticipated.

He's a third round pick because of how he runs in a straight line while wearing shorts. If he ran a 4.4 he'd be a late first or early second

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He's a third round pick because of how he runs in a straight line while wearing shorts. If he ran a 4.4 he'd be a late first or early second
And this was a pretty deep WR class. Probably a 2nd rounder in most other drafts of late.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's all a tribute to how good he is. Jake does his job so well he has become the Invisible Man.

That is right on point sir!

WestCoastRam

Legend
@HitStick and @Ramhusker... if we're gonna throw even more measurables out there, he probably would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick even if his speed remained the same if he just had 3 more inches in height and another 10-20 lbs in weight.

WestCoastRam

Legend
PS. Has anyone come up with a good answer why Kupp wasn't an outside receiver with his college tream?

PPS. I would like nothing more than Kupp to dominate and prove to be a number 2 receiver or even a number 1, I'm just tempering my enthusiasm with pretty apparent data points.