Golden era of NFL quarterbacks coming to an end?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/03/nfl-golden-era-tom-brady-peyton-manning

This is a golden era of NFL quarterbacks. Enjoy it – because the next generation is bad
By DJ Gallo

The Panthers-Colts matchup on Monday night was billed as a clash between two of the top young quarterbacks in football: Cam Newton and Andrew Luck. What we got was sloppy, disappointing … and ultimately won by Newton. It was the NFL’s entire younger generation of NFL quarterbacks captured in one dreary game.

Countless articles have been written this season about how we as football fans must make sure to appreciate Peyton Manning while he is still playing, even in his diminished 2015 form. The elder Manning has regressed so far that his 0 TD, 1 INT performance in Sunday’s win over the Packers was supposedly a statement game.

Just 12 months ago, any game in which Manning didn’t throw at least three touchdowns was an aberration, and now his Sunday game is being called a return to form? “Peyton Manning of old shows up, and the Broncos stay undefeated” read the headline in the New York Times. Ugh. Depressing.

But while we’re all trying to appreciate Manning (while wincing and peering through our fingers), we might want to also carve out time to enjoy the other quarterbacks of his generation who are still playing at a high level. Because the future of the NFL’s most important position is looking worse than a Manning Face after a postseason interception.

Manning is 39. His younger brother, Eli, isn’t all that young any more at 34. Tom Brady is 38, Drew Brees 36, Ben Roethlisberger 33. Even Aaron Rodgers turns 32 next month.

Only one living starting quarterback possesses a Super Bowl ring and is under the age of 30, Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson. We can – and likely will, unfortunately – continue to argue about whether Joe Flacco (31 in January) is elite, but we can probably all agree that the generation that will replace the older QBs most definitely is not.

While it’s easy to criticize Manning for his postseason failures – as I did just three paragraphs ago! – if you look at his entire career as a performance under pressure, he’s as clutch as it comes. When Manning was drafted No1 overall in 1998 by the Colts out of Tennessee, Archie’s prize son was dubbed the future of the quarterback position in the NFL. And he delivered. Yes, there’s “just” the one Super Bowl title over a Rex Grossman-quarterbacked team, but there’s also pretty much every passing record.

The NFL desperately needed Manning to deliver, too. John Elway was about to play his last season and Dan Marino, Troy Aikman and Steve Young were all on the way out. The future of the NFL quarterback position in 1998 was a 29 year-old Brett Favre and … I don’t know … Drew Bledsoe? Yikes.

Manning struggled in his rookie season, but in 1999 had a passer rating of 90.7, good for fourth in the NFL, three spots behind Kurt Warner in his out-of-nowhere breakout season. Here was the entire top 10 that season:

1. Kurt Warner

2. Steve Beuerlein

3. Jeff George

4. Peyton Manning

5. Brad Johnson

6. Rich Gannon

7. Ray Lucas

8. Charlie Batch

9. Gus Frerrote

10. Chris Chandler

That list isn’t much better than the Browns QB jersey. No wonder Vince McMahon thought then that the time might be approaching to launch a competitor league to the NFL.

Manning bridged the gap between two eras and let fans know there was at least someone alive outside of Favre who could throw a football. Then Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and Rodgers came along and all was right with the football world.

The league is in a similar place now as it was in the late ‘90s. The older generation of QBs is nearing the end of its run and the NFL would like to identify its future icons. The idea was that Andrew Luck would be one of them. Drafted No1 overall by the Colts and supposedly cerebral like his predecessor, it was hoped that Luck would be a more athletic Manning.

Instead, he’s playing more like a less hygienic Jay Cutler. After throwing four interceptions in the playoffs last year, giving him 12 interceptions in six career playoff games, Luck is on pace this season to go 6-10 with 26 touchdowns, 24 interceptions and a 71.6 quarterback rating – and a large chunk of those touchdown passes have come in garbage time.

Luck isn’t the next Peyton Manning. That’s OK. There will probably never be another Peyton Manning. But Luck might not even be, you know, to use a fancy scouting term: good.

So which young quarterbacks are?

Cam Newton, age 26, is undefeated and might be having his best season. Five years into his career, he looks to be a quarterback who can win games but isn’t necessarily going to drop any jaws. Perhaps, with some more talent around him, his career will take the path or Roethlisberger, with the eye-popping stats coming later in his career. But as of now, Newton’s career-high for touchdown passes in a season is 24. Manning beat that in his first seven games two years ago.

Russell Wilson, also age 26, has that ring. But even with his new, huge contract and the addition of Jimmy Graham, he’s looking more like a skilled manager – both at game managing and brand managing – than a generational talent. Wilson still hasn’t won a game in his career when the Seattle defense gives up more than 24 points.

Andy Dalton is having a career year at age 28. But he remains Andy Dalton until he stops being Andy Dalton. The NFL isn’t focusing marketing efforts around the guy anytime soon. He needs to win a playoff game, and probably more, before he’s no longer Andy Dalton.

Matt Stafford and Ryan Tannehill aren’t next-level talents. RG3 and Colin Kaepernick went bust. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota are still too green for anyone to know what they can do. That leaves … Blake Bortles? Derek Carr? Huh, maybe it’s Derek Carr? He’s exploded in his second NFL season at age 24. But is it bad if the future of the NFL quarterback position could be a Raiders quarterback? I feel like that’s bad.

What makes the struggles of the younger generation even more concerning is that, thanks to Manning and Brady, absolutely every rule in the NFL is written to help offenses – and quarterbacks specifically. And still we’re not seeing much. Imagine Andrew Luck playing under the rules that existed even 10 years ago. No turnover record would be safe. There’s not much help on the way either. I mean, teams are seriously considering drafting Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg in the first round. It might be time to re-launch the XFL, Vince.

This all isn’t just to lament the younger generation of quarterbacks or say they suck. Newton is good, a team can obviously win with Wilson, and Luck still has plenty of time to turn it all around. It’s to make the case that, with most of the 30-something QBs still producing, that we’re in the later days of a golden age of NFL quarterbacks. Six future Hall of Famers are in action every Sunday. Enjoy it while we have it. It might not be long before talents akin to Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are winning Super Bowls again.

Of course, maybe Tom Brady really will play 10 more years as he recently said he hopes to. If that happens, everything will be just fine. Just please don’t suspend him, Mr Goodell.

Stel

Starter
I think the lack of quality QBs is a combination of college spread offenses and rushing newly drafted QBs into the starting lineup.

Irish

Starter
Offenses are too difficult for a QB to play but for a couple of athletes on the entire freaking planet, offensive linemen suck because they don't play real football until the pros, and playing defense has never been easier because of the above.

If the NFL refuses to adapt to spread offenses to fit their personnel, then, yes, the golden age of not just quarterbacks, but offenses in general are coming to an end. The entire thing is collapsing on itself which is why you see QBs taken later (they just aren't worth the risk), WRs and defense taken extremely high, and save for Todd Gurley, RBs are taken later because the league spits them out too quickly.

Its fascinating to me to see all of the people who are surprised that the league is in the shape that it is in. Have they not been paying attention to all of these kids playing spread offenses since they were in 6th grade? All those kids are now graduating into the pros and have done nothing but pass block and throw the ball 60 times a game. And then we are shocked when they struggle to learn pro style offenses and actually run block, and i'm not talking about shotgun snap-draw play, but lining up hat on hat double team at the point of attack run blocking?

It's been coming for years. I played football at Eureka High School in St. Louis from my 6th grade year until 2006. We learned Power I formation, and we ran the ball damn near every play. We graduated offensive linemen every year who would go on to big time division 1 programs because they could run the ball and understood those blocking schemes. EHS had a proud history dating back to the 80s of ground and pound smashmouth football.

Imagine my horror when I went with my friends to homecoming two years ago and saw those same colors running a damn spread offense. Ran the ball maybe 10 times tops.

Either the NFL needs spread offenses or the NFL's developmental program that starts in middle school needs to scrap them, because it is a dire situation.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Not all young quarterbacks are Blake Bortles. Bortles already has 15 Touch Down passes.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
ultimately won by Newton.

No, it was won by the Panthers.

Also, Andrew Luck is going to be fine. 1 injured season doesn't mean much.

And why isn't Matt Ryan mentioned here? He's one of the best in this game. I think I'm going to root for teams like Atlanta and Cincy b/c they take so much unnecessary crap.

Russell Wilson, also age 26, has that ring. But even with his new, huge contract and the addition of Jimmy Graham, he’s looking more like a skilled manager – both at game managing and brand managing – than a generational talent. Wilson still hasn’t won a game in his career when the Seattle defense gives up more than 24 points.

Yeah, no shit. You need a team.

Blake Bortles? Derek Carr? Huh, maybe it’s Derek Carr? He’s exploded in his second NFL season at age 24. But is it bad if the future of the NFL quarterback position could be a Raiders quarterback? I feel like that’s bad.

What's wrong with that? Because it's a Raider and a Jaguar? So those teams aren't allowed to be well, only those that play for a cheating organization.

You know what's wrong with this article? It summarizes this stupid QB boner the media has.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If the NFL refuses to adapt to spread offenses to fit their personnel, then, yes, the golden age of not just quarterbacks, but offenses in general are coming to an end. The entire thing is collapsing on itself which is why you see QBs taken later (they just aren't worth the risk), WRs and defense taken extremely high, and save for Todd Gurley, RBs are taken later because the league spits them out too quickly.

Its fascinating to me to see all of the people who are surprised that the league is in the shape that it is in. Have they not been paying attention to all of these kids playing spread offenses since they were in 6th grade? All those kids are now graduating into the pros and have done nothing but pass block and throw the ball 60 times a game. And then we are shocked when they struggle to learn pro style offenses and actually run block, and i'm not talking about shotgun snap-draw play, but lining up hat on hat double team at the point of attack run blocking?

You are spot on. The problem with adapting to a spread offense is they do not work well at the NFL level. Too many great athletes on defense. It works in HS and college because the drop off at certain positions is signifcant. At the NFL level everyone can play. Defenses always adjust to gimmick type offense. From the run and shoot to the pistol, they all had there moments but eventually get exposed. There is a reason these types of offenses have not won a SB. You can get some results but I dont think its substainable

…..

Legend
Nice of the author to pick on the two QB's last night.......nobody could have thrown in the mess. I know his picture is a bigger one, but using last night as an example to open his article is pretty chicken shit.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Heck the article answered itself - they will come. Look at that 1999 listing. It doesn't even account for the QB's that will replace the aged/retiring one - and will likely not only get time to get up to speed behind them, but also will inherit solid teams to play for - and solid organizations.

Luck one injury filled season - really counting him out already???
Ryan - never mentioned
Carr - discounted because of the team he is on?
Flacco - may get ripped on, but has had magic in post season, and is only 30

(please note that I just use them as examples - there is plenty of reason to think many others mentioned will get better also)

There is no reason to believe that suddenly the QB position will dry up and cease to have talent....history has shown that void never lasts long....

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
There are plenty of good young QBs that will only get better with experience. Brees, Roethlisberger, Brady, Manning, and Rivers will eventually just be replaced by Luck, Bortles, Carr, Bridgewater, Newton, and Ryan. The QB position is not decreasing in talent like they want you to believe. This "Golden Age" was really just brought on by the rules being geared toward the offense. Plus, you never know which guys are going to step up in the future that aren't on anyone's radar right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the lack of quality QBs is a combination of college spread offenses and rushing newly drafted QBs into the starting lineup.

I think it's more cyclical than anything. There is less HB talent right now than there has been in a long time. That's about to change in a hurry. There's more QB talent than there has been in a long time. That's also about to change. These things go in cycles. But there are some talented guys at the college level and the pro level. I don't we'll see the lack of depth and talent at QB in the next 5-10 years that there has been at HB over the past 2-3 years.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
DJ Gallo is the founder, editor and writer of the sports humor site SportsPickle.com. He has also written for, contributed to, or appeared on ESPN.com, Saturday Night Live, The Onion, Comedy Central, Funny Or Die, SportsCenter, The Guardian, CBS Local, USA Today, AOL, ESPN The Magazine and The Cauldron.

I can't tell if he's serious or joking. :confused:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Stel makes a good point about spread offenses....guys come into the league having never even played under center let alone making audibles.
There are some young QBs I like quite a bit. Carr, Bortles, Bridgewater. There are some good young passers.