Goff's TD Throw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Im usually a silent lurker on here and only tend to post a bit but I'm seeing a lot of critique on Goffs TD Throw, IMO he made the perfect throw, he put it on the outside shoulder where there was a lot of green still...

Yes he could have fit it in between the defenders and Brown, but it seemed to me that Brown looked over the wrong shoulder, he should have been looking over his outside shoulder for the pass, Goff had perfect placement on the ball where only his player could get it...a lot of his throws weren't perfect but most were catchable balls except for the comeback route that was defended well, the kid will be good, just be patient and give him time, go rams!!

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
I agree. I'm just glad that Brown caught the ball. That TD throw was huge for Goff's confidence going forward.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't think it was perfect placement, but it certainly seemed like the correct throw.
If Goff throws to the inside shoulder and Brow misses it, it could go for a pick 6.
I'm not sure how the play was designed though and Goffs throws weren't dead on last night, so we could both be wrong.

jap

Legend
Jerad is in the process of establishing a game-day rapport with each of his receivers, getting used to how well they execute their route running and adjustments to defensive coverage. That is not a trivial thing. Of course, it will take a while before he meshes with each fly guy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great throw, but a great catch too, love everything about Malcolm Brown and glad he has gotten the opportunity to showcase his talent.

Ellard80

Legend
The Catch was awesome... though perhaps lucky... the throw was fine.

Not great but good enough.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Goff was off his game last night and that toss to Benny even though a likely back shoulder throw by design, still appeared to be off the mark unless Benny didn't run the pattern to perfection?

Same with his pass to the wide open Hemingway that pass was behind Tamarack and could've been much more accurate. I'm not down on JG though and I would play him more than Fisher plans to against Denver.

It seems Keenum will start at Frisco :( at least as of today 08/21/2016 :icare:

jjab360

Legend
I don't think it was perfect placement, but it certainly seemed like the correct throw.
If Goff throws to the inside shoulder and Brow misses it, it could go for a pick 6.
I'm not sure how the play was designed though and Goffs throws weren't dead on last night, so we could both be wrong.
Goff's passes looked pretty dead on to me. His only incompletions were 4 drops, three of them by Quick. He was hitting guys in stride leading them away from defenders.

Now I just want to see him attack down the field, work on navigating the pocket, and the QB-center exchange. The first two were strengths for him in college and the latter he never had a chance to do until now.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Last week, Gruden mentioned a very similar play the Rams ran as a RB wheel route option. I'm fairly positive it was the same play. On Brown's left was a LB and safety. Why he continued to run left instead of right where there was nobody, I don't know.

Goff saw the same thing. Instead of getting Brown blown up by throwing the ball in front of two defenders, he threw the ball to Brown's back shoulder where he expected him to break and where there was nothing, but green. Goff made the right read, decision, and touch. Credit Brown for making a great catch.

fearsomefour

Legend
In fairness to Quick one was defended, knocked away.
Goff was behind on some throws, not terrible throws by any measure, just a smidge late. That is to be expected. Three fumbles (including the dropped snap he picked up)....that's not great. On his rollout just not throwin it away, leading to a fumble, that's jut a bad rookie play. Again, to be expected.
Like I posted on another thread his drop is sort of clunky at this point....but for barely playing under center it is not bad.
Work in progress. I would think he is still a ways away from starting.
He has a clock in his head in the pocket (and rolling out) it just needs to speed up a little bit. This usually leads to the over correction of taking off and running at the first hint of pressure.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The Rams coaching is making it extremely difficult on Goff with the pass calls all being so short, the defenses are sitting on the routes. In a vacuum Goff was going to have to adjust to tight NFL windows, but now add the coaching factor letting defenses cheat, plus our WRs that aren't exactly known for separating yet, and the windows are almost non-existent. So I give Goff a hell of a lot of credit so far under these circumstances. He put a pass where it could be caught for a TD so hope he builds on it.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
Last week, Gruden mentioned a very similar play the Rams ran as a RB wheel route option. I'm fairly positive it was the same play. On Brown's left was a LB and safety. Why he continued to run left instead of right where there was nobody, I don't know.

Goff saw the same thing. Instead of getting Brown blown up by throwing the ball in front of two defenders, he threw the ball to Brown's back shoulder where he expected him to break and where there was nothing, but green. Goff made the right read, decision, and touch. Credit Brown for making a great catch.

I saw exactly the same thing. The replay from the camera behind the corner of the end zone shows it well. Brown really should have adjusted his route, although he made up for it with a great catch.

A55VA6

Legend
I thought the throw was beautiful. Put it where only Brown could catch it, trusted his teammate to make a great play and he did. I thought it was impressive by both guys!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Im usually a silent lurker on here and only tend to post a bit but I'm seeing a lot of critique on Goffs TD Throw, IMO he made the perfect throw, he put it on the outside shoulder where there was a lot of green still...

Yes he could have fit it in between the defenders and Brown, but it seemed to me that Brown looked over the wrong shoulder, he should have been looking over his outside shoulder for the pass, Goff had perfect placement on the ball where only his player could get it...a lot of his throws weren't perfect but most were catchable balls except for the comeback route that was defended well, the kid will be good, just be patient and give him time, go rams!!
He would have done a lot better had he never tried to throw to Quick!!(y);)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The Rams coaching is making it extremely difficult on Goff with the pass calls all being so short, the defenses are sitting on the routes. In a vacuum Goff was going to have to adjust to tight NFL windows, but now add the coaching factor letting defenses cheat, plus our WRs that aren't exactly known for separating yet, and the windows are almost non-existent. So I give Goff a hell of a lot of credit so far under these circumstances. He put a pass where it could be caught for a TD so hope he builds on it.
1000% agree; it becomes radical to run all these 7 yard routes....really, radical, because it is more dangerous to have every route be squat on. This hurts the run game too because everyone is bunched at the line of scrimmage....

TexasRam

Legend
People fail to realize that you don't have to throw a ball on a dime if you throw a catchable touch ball. And that is what Goff does well. Bradford threw darts but they were often too hard and uncatchable. No Bueno.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's what I saw as well. There were two defenders inside of him and wide open space outside of him. If Goff had thrown it to the inside, Brown would have been tackled and the defender might have been able to make a play on the ball. Goff threw to the outside shoulder to lead Brown to open space. Brown should have been expecting it there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the throw was beautiful. Put it where only Brown could catch it, trusted his teammate to make a great play and he did. I thought it was impressive by both guys!
I said that immediately after the TD to my wife..Was bewildered by reported comments from the NFLN announcing crew that it was a bad throw (I was watching the Kansas City feed, so I got to watch interviews with 4th string KC Chief players next to a small picture of game action...:wtf:)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said that immediately after the TD to my wife..Was bewildered by reported comments from the NFLN announcing crew that it was a bad throw (I was watching the Kansas City feed, so I got to watch interviews with 4th string KC Chief players next to a small picture of game action...:wtf:)

From the limited time i got to see the game, the 2nd qtr, they were too busy yucking it up to play close attention to the game. Man they were irritating. I love faulk but an announcer he isn't. Paired with ed they were insufferable.