Goff's college coach tells Rams fans why they got a truly 'special' QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Goff's college coach tells Rams fans why they got a truly 'special' QB

By Aaron Torres @Aaron_Torres

[www.foxsports.com]

The Los Angeles Rams are the new kids on the block on the LA sports scene, and it appears as though they've decided the best way to endear themselves to their new city is to bring along a new star with them as well. That player is of course Jared Goff, who was the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and then immediately became the face of the franchise (along with Todd Gurley).

That's a big role to fill for anyone, let alone a 21-year-old only three years removed from high school. At Pac-12 Media Days on Thursday, we asked Goff's former teammates and coach at Cal what Rams fans can expect from their new quarterback.

We started with offensive lineman Stephen Moore, who, umm, didn't necessarily give the most ringing endorsement.

"He's a great guy -- he's social," Moore said. "He can throw the ball really far."

Hmm, not exactly what Rams' fans were hoping to hear. Moore was just joking, though. Moore -- who roomed with Goff for two years -- knows the new Rams quarterback about as well as anyone and shared insight into how passionate Goff is and what kind of work ethic he'll bring to the Rams' locker room from Day 1.

"I'm confident that he's going to step in and do great," Moore said. "He's a hard worker.

"I lived with him for two years, and it'd be like middle of the night watching film. He'd be like, 'Hey, look at this play?' and I'm like 'Dude, come on, relax.'"

No one was more complimentary of Goff's work ethic than his former coach at Cal, Sonny Dykes. Dykes didn't recruit Goff to Cal but instead was lucky enough to inherit him from former head coach Jeff Tedford. Goff was everything he could have asked for.

"He's a consummate professional," Dykes said. "He's 21 years old, but he was a professional for us at 18. What I mean by that is his approach, just his maturity and his approach. And you know, he's going to give it everything he has every day."

Rams' fans certainly hope that professionalism translates quickly, as Goff will have the weight of an entire franchise on his shoulders. Unfortunately for him, it won't be enough to "just" be a quarterback in LA. Instead, he's got to be the face of the franchise. He's got to be a star. He's got to be a glamour player, at a glamour position, in a glamour city.

Fortunately, Dykes believes he's suited to do just that. When asked what makes Goff so special from an X's and O's perspective, the coach raved about his abilities.

"He can make the throws," Dykes said. "He's got a very unique skill set. He maneuvers in the pocket and creates throwing lanes better than any quarterback I've ever seen, really at any level. He's very unique in that regard. I think that's why he was the first pick in the draft is because of that skill set."

Jon Durr
But with Goff, it isn't just the raw football skills but also his intangibles that stood out to his former teammates and coaches. He's a leader, a catalyst and a guy who everyone will eventually rally around.

It will take time to adjust to a locker room in which some of Goff's new teammates are over a decade older than him, Dykes says, but he believes Goff will be embraced because of the kind of leader he is. Cal defensive end DeVante Wilson shared an example to support that point.

"Jared was very vocal. He was a great leader," Wilson said. "There would be times he would come to the defensive side and come pick us up as well if we were struggling. I think that will carry on to the NFL."

If Goff indeed carries that leadership to the NFL, along with the skillset Dykes mentioned, it should bring the Rams plenty of wins in years to come and deliver them the star they're hoping for.

"His ceiling is very, very high," Dykes said. "And the fact that he's 21 years old, he hasn't gotten close to reaching his ceiling yet. I think the Rams got them a special player and somebody they can build around for many years to come."

Everyone in LA certainly hopes Dykes is correct.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
goff%20can%20wait_small2.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A lot of the same things can be said of Sean Mannion. "Football smart", "Good arm", "Film room junkie". I'm almost as excited about watching Mannion in TC as I am Goff. How wonderful would it be for the Rams to actually have "depth" at QB for a change?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of the same things can be said of Sean Mannion. "Football smart", "Good arm", "Film room junkie". I'm almost as excited about watching Mannion in TC as I am Goff. How wonderful would it be for the Rams to actually have "depth" at QB for a change?

I am with you about Mannion..But I have heard (and seen via YouTube) how quick Goff's release is..moves in the pocket well, and goes through progressions fast....AND balls on accurate....I don't remember Mannion being described that way.....IT WOULD BE GREAT IF HE WAS, though.!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've gone back and looked at Mannion. He CAN get the ball out quick if he has to. He has said so himself recently, that getting the ball out and getting used to the speed of the game in the NFL is something he has really been working on. Like I said, Its really gong to be fun watching Rams QB's this pre-season.

And a bit of trivia-- Rams have both PAC-12 all time yds QB AND PAC-12 yds WR on their roster in Sean Mannion and Nelson Spruce.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can't get over how much Goff looks like Jim Everett! Now if he can pass like Jim, and get the protection Jim got, with the running game Jim had, we're on to Great Times!!(y):D:yess:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
[QUOTE="den-the-coach, post: 765270, member: 577"

Wish I knew how to photoshop...That looks like Dick Enberg...It's an OLD picture, if that's him.
[/QUOTE]

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
And a bit of trivia-- Rams have both PAC-12 all time yds QB AND PAC-12 yds WR on their roster in Sean Mannion and Nelson Spruce.

True. And interesting. To piggy back on that Goff went to the darling college of the Bay Area, Cal. Berkeley. He grew up just North, and Mannion just South of San Francisco.

If the Niner quarterback situation continues to be a dumpster fire, and both our guys progress nicely, it will be like we tear the skin off the entire Bay Area and roll them in salt. :mrburnsevil:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Snisher do seem to have a knack for turning a weakness into depth 1 off season at a time. And when they got here QB was not considered a weakness, but depth was not a strength.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
[QUOTE="den-the-coach, post: 765270, member: 577"

Wish I knew how to photoshop...That looks like Dick Enberg...It's an OLD picture, if that's him.
[/QUOTE]
That is Dick Enberg. It was great watching those videos posted here from the '70's with him doing the narration.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am with you about Mannion..But I have heard (and seen via YouTube) how quick Goff's release is..moves in the pocket well, and goes through progressions fast....AND balls on accurate....I don't remember Mannion being described that way.....IT WOULD BE GREAT IF HE WAS, though.!
Mannion's arm, footwork, and release have improved since college, I can tell you that. They nailed Goff's unique skill set, in my, and others here opinions of him before the draft. I think they just missed on one of his unique skills, which is his super quick, and buttery smooth release. It will be one of the fastest in the NFL, the first time he takes a snap. When he's ready, watch out Rams fans!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It will take time to adjust to a locker room in which some of Goff's new teammates are over a decade older than him, Dykes says, but he believes Goff will be embraced because of the kind of leader he is.
Um... How many players on this team are more than a decade older than him? Oh yeah.... none of them. :D Still a good trait to be able to lead athletes that are a few years older. Let's hope that comes to be because it will likely mean he has impressed them with his skills as a player.