Goff vs Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Philly getting to the bowl and taking a dump on Minnesota should be perspective for some that are quick to criticize Goff after every loss and critique the Rams for not selecting Wentz. I've seen some even point to Goff as a system QB. Well, the Philly system took Nick Foles to the SB, and a 350 yard game w 3 TDs in the NFC title.

Maybe it takes a whole team to make a young QB look elite. Philly is superior to the Rams across the lines and defensive front 7. Their coaching is elite, like ours. Looking at Snead and mcVay to fix those personnel deficiencies.

Also, Keenum nut huggers can calm down. Guy looked like a backup QB today after falling behind.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
I will still take Goff any day of the week. As I've said many times, the Rams will be in the SB in 2019 following the 2018 season. Just ask Sean McVay.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
BA88EEAC-AB85-449F-A941-4F804EB9E8A3.jpeg

AD794CEB-DF8E-4174-9D2D-3ECAC55DB156.jpeg

Last edited:

Rambo

UDFA
What happens if Foles wins the SB? How do you start Wentz next year? Or what happens if Wentz isnt playing as well? QB controversy.

Also the Keenum hype is over. They probably go back to Bridgewater.

Things couldn't have worked out better for Goff.

TexasRam

Legend
I know its just one game but...

If we extrapolate Foles day over 16 games and adjust for quality of defense (since Minnesota was the best) then we can clearly see that Nick Foles would have 80 TD's and 0 interceptions over a full season. With a Passer rating of 158.3. This would surpass Aaron Rodgers record of 122.5 and Peyton Manning's 121.1. It would also beat one Nick Foles who's 119.2 rating ranks third.

Of course this also beats the QB who is 4th on that list at 117.2 that Foles will now face in the Super Bowl in Mr. Tom Brady.

But because both QB's choose not to run the ball they are both probably getting cut next year since their QBR doesn't meet the league average. :thinking::neener::D

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Most of us were just patiently waiting for the other shoe to drop for Keenum.

I won’t be watching the superbowl this year. I can’t stomach either team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Harding looks the part, but Cox might be better in the long run.
0e8dba62be32da387c244c5ff4b84a99--warren-harding-the-republican.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Most of us were just patiently waiting for the other shoe to drop for Keenum.

I won’t be watching the superbowl this year. I can’t stomach either team.
I'm not watching either.
So, if a guy you like has a crap game there are excuses and if a guy you don't like ends an excellent season with a bad game it's proof that the whole season was a sham?
We all have preferences but if the Vikings won the Super Bowl there would have been people on her slagging Keenum about it.

fearsomefour

Legend
What happens if Foles wins the SB? How do you start Wentz next year? Or what happens if Wentz isnt playing as well? QB controversy.

Why?
Did the Rams ad a backup LT, LB help and another pass rusher?

fearsomefour

Legend
Philly getting to the bowl and taking a dump on Minnesota should be perspective for some that are quick to criticize Goff after every loss and critique the Rams for not selecting Wentz. I've seen some even point to Goff as a system QB. Well, the Philly system took Nick Foles to the SB, and a 350 yard game w 3 TDs in the NFC title.

Maybe it takes a whole team to make a young QB look elite. Philly is superior to the Rams across the lines and defensive front 7. Their coaching is elite, like ours. Looking at Snead and mcVay to fix those personnel deficiencies.

Also, Keenum nut huggers can calm down. Guy looked like a backup QB today after falling behind.
Everything you said applies to every team and every QB.
It's takes a team to make every QB look elite. Good experienced QB can also help OL look better than they are.
Every QB at some point of a 16 game season looks like a back QB when their team is getting beaten and their O has fallen way behind and become one dimensional.
Keenum will be a starter for a bit anyway in the NFL. For how long? Who knows.
He has to, like MOST QBs, has to go to the right teams.
Minnesota is now faced with an interesting problem. They have three choices all with upside and down side.

KDS73

Rookie
What happens if Foles wins the SB?

Then the Eagles will be open for business trying to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the offseason, because Wentz is an absolute stud and the unquestioned leader of that team. Foles has looked terrible for the most part while filling in for Wentz as the team leaned on a good defense. He finally has a Wentz-like game and suddenly people are hoping for a qb controversy in Philly? Nope. Not gonna happen. Even if Foles manages to play well enough to win the Super Bowl.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Then the Eagles will be open for business trying to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the offseason, because Wentz is an absolute stud and the unquestioned leader of that team. .

Everyone needs to stop discounting how good Carson Wentz is, he is going to be barring injury a top QB in the NFL for a long period of time. That's okay because the Rams have one too. Jim Schwartz is one heck of a DC and I am interested to see how he handles Tom Brady because one thing for sure, the Eagles with Blitz Brady early and often.

As to Foles, great job by Doug Pederson game planning and the one advantage Philly does have that I'm sure the pundits will start writing about soon is the fact that Blount & Long know the Patriots and that could aid in the game plan.....But back to Foles, if the Eagles get a 4th round offer they will be lucky and should take it, but good for Foles and I wish him the best in his next game against the Soviet Union.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There is no controversy whether the Eagles win or not.
Wentz is their qb period.
Definitely changes things for Keenum. Still think his best landing spot is minny but it won’t be starter money

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm not watching either.
So, if a guy you like has a crap game there are excuses and if a guy you don't like ends an excellent season with a bad game it's proof that the whole season was a sham?
We all have preferences but if the Vikings won the Super Bowl there would have been people on her slagging Keenum about it.
Not really. I just know which players I like and who look like they belong. Would you honestly build a team around Case Keenum? He just doesn’t have the ideal arm strength, accuracy or size.

You can say anything you want about heart or spirit. But without the mechanics and talent, you get one year wonders.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not really. I just know which players I like and who look like they belong. Would you honestly build a team around Case Keenum? He just doesn’t have the ideal arm strength, accuracy or size.

You can say anything you want about heart or spirit. But without the mechanics and talent, you get one year wonders.
Build a team around?
Probably not, no.
The same can be said for a lot of starting QBs in the NFL however. Guys that need help to win. There are a few, a handful that can "carry" teams, although "carry" is overstated.
Can Keenum prepare and execute a game plan? Clearly. Can he read enough to audible? Yes. How is his movement in the pocket? Good. Can he create on the fly? Sometimes, yes.
What you are describing is measurables. Important certainly but not the end all be all.
The road is littered with 6' 5" busts with cannon arms.
I think his continued success or failure depends a lot on where he goes.
I don't think he will ever be a Rogers because he doesn't have that skill set, doesn't have those measurables. Can he be a solid starting QB? Yep.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Build a team around?
Probably not, no.
The same can be said for a lot of starting QBs in the NFL however. Guys that need help to win. There are a few, a handful that can "carry" teams, although "carry" is overstated.
Can Keenum prepare and execute a game plan? Clearly. Can he read enough to audible? Yes. How is his movement in the pocket? Good. Can he create on the fly? Sometimes, yes.
What you are describing is measurables. Important certainly but not the end all be all.
The road is littered with 6' 5" busts with cannon arms.
I think his continued success or failure depends a lot on where he goes.
I don't think he will ever be a Rogers because he doesn't have that skill set, doesn't have those measurables. Can he be a solid starting QB? Yep.
All very good points. But I’ll follow them up with a question. Out of the, let’s say, top 10 QBs in the league right now, who would you compare to Keenum? My list as it stands:
1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. Roethlisberger
5. Wilson
6. Wentz
7. Rivers
8. Goff
9. Smith
10. Ryan

I mean, maybe Alex Smith? A much lesser Russell Wilson? At 30 years old, how much more does he have to offer? If he has any chance at continuing his level play, he should stay in Minnesota. Because any team in rebuilding mode won’t fit his skill set. To me, that’s not worth having him start. Especially if everything around him has to be perfect in order to succeed.