Goff vs Mannion perception

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wow. Why all the anger in this OP? Oh, and where is ANYONE heaping praise on Goff for his efforts thus far???? All I have heard is people crapping on him....unnecessarily.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
How is Goff getting preferential treatment over Mannion shocking to anyone?

Goff isn't constantly getting praise anyway.

People like to fall in love with guys like Case and Sean because it's a nice story and they can win a game every now and then so people like to over look what they lack. Goff is the most talented QB on the roster. People want him to succeed based on that alone. Factor in draft position and the trade and people are going to pull for him the most.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow. Why all the anger in this OP? Oh, and where is ANYONE heaping praise on Goff for his efforts thus far???? All I have heard is people crapping on him....unnecessarily.
There is no anger only curiosity. I want the best qb to win i dont care who it is as long as we win

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is Goff getting preferential treatment over Manning shocking to anyone?

Goff isn't constantly getting praise anyway.

People like to fall in love with guys like Case and Sean because it's a nice story and they can win a game every now and then so people like to over look what they lack. Goff is the most talented QB on the roster. People want him to succeed based on that alone. Factor in draft position and the trade and people are going to pull for him the most.

Its not about the treatment is the fact that he is basically doing the same thing Mannion is doing but Mannion doesn't get the credit

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only one getting preferential treatment that I can see is Keenum. He gets the majority of the reps and plays strictly with the 1's in game time
Mannion? Well, he just isn't a factor in the starter conversation. Fair or unfair, that's just the way it is

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
The problem I have is that, in my opinion, the Rams traded the farm away for a quarterback that MAY not be any better than one that was currently on the roster. There really is nothing that leads me to believe that Goff is any better than Mannion. Mannion maybe a step ahead because he played in a pro style offense in college and shined when he had a quality WR (Cooks). Since the quality of receivers are much better in the NFL, as opposed to college, I think he would have been fine and should have been given a chance to get the starting role this year. Also, in my opinion, they only did this trade because they moved to LA and wanted a face for the organization. I do not think they make this trade, if they remained in St. Louis. JMO

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
The problem I have is that, in my opinion, the Rams traded the farm away for a quarterback that MAY not be any better than one that was currently on the roster. There really is nothing that leads me to believe that Goff is any better than Mannion. Mannion maybe a step ahead because he played in a pro style offense in college and shined when he had a quality WR (Cooks). Since the quality of receivers are much better in the NFL, as opposed to college, I think he would have been fine and should have been given a chance to get the starting role this year. Also, in my opinion, they only did this trade because they moved to LA and wanted a face for the organization. I do not think they make this trade, if they remained in St. Louis. JMO

Any QB can look good in college when playing with legit talent. NFL receivers are better than college receivers, but the defensive backs are better too.

The team has Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald one of those guys can be the face of the franchise. I don't think an NFL team would make this big of a move just for a little publicity.

Mannion isn't anything special as a prospect. He can be a solid back-up, but that's what I would imagine him being for the majority of his pro career.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
its just killing me that people are giving Goff credit for a pass that was never caught and giving Mannion flak for almost throwing 2 interceptions

You don't see why this is relevant? The games don't count. People are judging performances. Mannion getting lucky and Goff getting unlucky doesn't change how they executed those plays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There really is nothing that leads me to believe that Goff is any better than Mannion.

Goff is better than Mannion at every single part of QBing. Even now, while he's trying to get down the mental aspects of the pro game, it is obvious that he is a much more talented thrower than Mannion.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Spruce made a great catch on a poorly thrown ball by Mannion, I saw that too. But I thought you were defending Mannion here?
6.8 YPA is better than 5.8 for sure and yes the drops do matter. Preseason isn't so much about results (because none of them count) but if you've watched Rams offense the last decade, that type of pass (Goff to Cooper) is what we have been sorely missing
I have no issue with Mannion, look forward to him being Goff back up, just don't think his game was all that. Dink and dunk against practice squad players

Im not defending Mannion at all i just want to win. I also want Goff to succeed because i dont want to turn on the nfl network and hear about a terrible trade. All im saying is if Mannion is dinking and dunking against practice squad players shouldnt we be saying the same thing about Goff. I want to see real progress when he is in there with the 1's thats when my praise will begin.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't see why this is relevant? The games don't count. People are judging performances. Mannion getting lucky and Goff getting unlucky doesn't change how they executed those plays.
But it changes them from being excuted and not excuted. We can debate schematics all day a completion is a completion a touchdown is a touchdown i never saw an asterik by a completion that says it should have been dropped. Or and incompletion thay said it should have been caught. Thats football shit happens. But 3 touchdowns is not luck

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is better than Mannion at every single part of QBing. Even now, while he's trying to get down the mental aspects of the pro game, it is obvious that he is a much more talented thrower than Mannion.

I respect your opinion

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it changes them from being excuted and not excuted. We can debate schematics all day a completion is a completion a touchdown is a touchdown i never saw an asterik by a completion that says it should have been dropped. Or and incompletion thay said it should have been caught. Thats football crap happens. But 3 touchdowns is not luck

These aren't real games. Goff's and Mannion's job are to execute their part. It's the WR's or DB's job to execute theirs. If Goff throws a gorgeous ball that's dropped, it's not a knock on him. If Mannion throws a bad ball that should have been picked and it's dropped, it is a knock on him. Because the results of these plays fall on someone other than the QB.

We're judging performance, not results. Because we don't want those ints to start being caught when the games matter.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What's the mystery?

Goff is the #1, first overall pick. Mannion is a 3rd rounder. Goff is a green rookie. Mannion is in his 2nd season. If he didn't have a better grasp of the playbook he'd be cut.

Here's how I see it. Keenum is a serviceable QB. Mannion could be a perfect backup. Goff could be a legit premier QB. There's no mystery. The Rams want Goff at #1. The fans want Goff at #1. But not before he's ready. And he's not ready. If he progresses significantly over the next 2 preseason games, he could be the opening day starter. But there's no rush. There's no huge need. The Rams can win with Keenum. They have Gurley and a very good D. Which probably means they can win with a slightly improved Goff.

I'm not losing any sleep over it. He will be under center at some point in the 2016 season. But he won't be a seasoned vet until 2017. That's just the facts.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Preseason is the worst part of the season.

I wish it would go away and they would expand the season to 18 real games.

Just fucking do this already please football gods!!!!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
the Rams traded the farm away for a quarterback

That is illogical.

5df84009e3bbae199bf3fab251b59c4d.jpg

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am hoping all the QB's succeed. I hope Goff starts to feel like the game is slowing down for him at some point, that will require some game time snaps to get there. He has a great arm. No doubt about that. Mannion probably has advantages due to the extra year to mature. He isn't perfect, but I know he can throw frozen ropes downfield. Ask Brandon Cooks, his old receiver at OSU. Brandon got noticed because he had a decent QB in Mannion. The important part is putting receivers in that can catch the ball, and having a good OC that will put the players in the best position to make that catch. These QB's will push each other. Case Keenum included. They all bring something different. As a group I expect them to get better pretty quickly. That's a good problem to have. But trust me, Mannion can throw downfield accurately and with zip.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I agree with you.

That said, I rewatched the game (had it on the dvr since the spot I watched the McGregor/Diaz fight didn't have the Rams game on at all...dammit. Glad I remembered to record the game!) and the Goff TD to RB Brown was... a bailout by Brown. As were several passes on that drive. The first pass to the TE, the TE bailed him out because the pass was late... on a pass where the TE had no one within 5 yards of him and Goff had no pressure on him. His ball placement is just...off, mostly as a function of being late. And that's consistent with the processing issues.

Goff shows "moments" that show inspiring potential, but there's nothing consistent about them. If Brown weren't a good receiving back, that's not a TD. And as Marshall Faulk noted, "the WRs have to bail out a rookie QB." We're not exactly stacked with that kind of crew atm. And the reality is that Goff has NEEDED bailing out because his accuracy has been awful in spots...and then fantastic in others. So, while we know he HAS the accuracy, he goes through streaks where he's just...not...accurate. Which means the receivers never know where to truly expect the ball (contrast that with someone exceptional at ball placement like Warner who even though his ball had a wobble, almost always put it right where his receivers expected it)

Now, my hope is that he settles in, the game slows down, the accuracy improves, and we really start to see the actualization of the immense potential that he was drafted for.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
...and the Goff TD to RB Brown was... a bailout by Brown.

But if Brown had turned his head to the outside, like the coverage suggested he should, then no "bailout" catch is necessary on a perfectly placed TD pass...