Goff vs Mannion perception

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im trying to figure out how Goff is getting praised on this board about the throws he made in last week game when Mannion made the same throws. But instead of Mannion made some good throws it was he did that against 3rd and fourth stringers, well Goff only got on track when he went against the 3rd and 4th stringers. So my question is why the difference in attitude towards these two QB's.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't mind Mannion starting but he will never get the chance. He made some good throws against Dallas and I think he should start the 4th game of the pre season and see what he's got. He has a better arm then Keenum.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Im trying to figure out how Goff is getting praised on this board about the throws he made in last week game when Mannion made the same throws. But instead of Mannion made some good throws it was he did that against 3rd and fourth stringers, well Goff only got on track when he went against the 3rd and 4th stringers. So my question is why the difference in attitude towards these two QB's.
It's just because Goff is a #1 Pick, that simple! JMHO

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Part of it is that Goff is the #1.

Part of it is that Goff showed the downfield potential already, whereas Mannion's attempts down the field looked super sketchy. This last game by Goff wasn't impressive. Looked to be swimming in it, a bit. There's a lot more promise in Goff's footwork and arm/accuracy combination, so people are watching him for that, and praising him when it shows.

Mannion just looks like a limited QB who can be competent in a short-pass system, but that's similar to what we've had the past few years, and Case does it better because he's mobile. If Mannion shows me he can hit mid to deep throws with accuracy and consistency, I'll be much more excited about him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Part of it is that Goff is the #1.

Part of it is that Goff showed the downfield potential already, whereas Mannion's attempts down the field looked super sketchy. This last game by Goff wasn't impressive. Looked to be swimming in it, a bit. There's a lot more promise in Goff's footwork and arm/accuracy combination, so people are watching him for that, and praising him when it shows.

Mannion just looks like a limited QB who can be competent in a short-pass system, but that's similar to what we've had the past few years, and Case does it better because he's mobile. If Mannion shows me he can hit mid to deep throws with accuracy and consistency, I'll be much more excited about him.

What downfield throw did he complete, i havent seen it, they are throwing the same passes the Wr are running the same exact way. That awesome footwork Goff has certainly hasnt translated yet and I would put accuracy and arm strength even, same in college their arm strength and accuracy was on par with each other. This league is about results not potential there are a lot of people who had a ton of potential that washed out. Not saying thats Goff but I dont get the praise for Goff when he did the same thing Mannion did, but Mannion looked a whole lot better doing it.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion also threw two pic sixes that were dropped.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Because the world's not fair? I bought a Goff jersey special order right out the gate but I didn't buy Mannion's. Did I wrong him?

In all seriousness and for me personally I go back and watch the plays and try to evaluate from my armchair in order to at least try to not overreact on my opinion. So usually in the live chat I'll react a bit differently than the posts, and with Mannion in particular I was very happy right after the game with what he did because that was a really fun game to watch. But then going back and watching his snaps he basically lucked out that the DB didn't pick six a very poor throw decision because that with the other INT would have changed everything and been enough to counter his good throws. Also, his accuracy is still hit and miss, with ball placement.

I did the same thing with Keenum vs KC. Go back and look and he plays very well, but that deep ball to Britt was underthrown to the point where depending on the quality of safety could have been a pick. Turns out it was a nice positive play, but is it repeatable to expect him to go downfield with success particularly across the middle? Not gonna say that.

Goff as I have observed is closer than he is given credit for. And I'm ok with that. When I go back and look at his actual decisions in his passes he's been very good, basically on point. His problem has been protections and the clock in his head that tells him he has time but he doesn't because he's in the NFL. That said he's been shifting things and reading pre-snap with some success. Add that to his talent and that is why I say he's further along than many think judging from the reactions I've seen on multiple boards.

Again, here's my NON-OVERREACTION (at least in my opinion) take:

Keenum - still has the job because he has the offense down cold. Concern is whether defenses will be able to roll up tight on him and contain our offense.

Goff - still needs work on protections and taking snaps under center but is closer than given credit for. Needed to settle down both games, more snaps should help that.

Mannion - has the raw arm talent you want but has made more questionable throws than the kid already in a very small sample size. Like Keenum I think he is a backup in this league.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
The tale of the tape:
Mannion threw solve decent passes, but he didn't throw over 10 yards. Two were close to and should have been picked. He has replaced Sam as Captain Checkdown.

Goff has much better accuracy, touch, velocity, and arm strength. He needs to work on getting rid of the ball faster and to stop staring down his hot route.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is how I look at the entire situation, Goff is going to play whether he should or not, Im not debating that fact, its just killing me that people are giving Goff credit for a pass that was never caught and giving Mannion flak for almost throwing 2 interceptions as it stands right now Mannion has 3 touchdowns 1 interception Goff 1 touchdown 1intereception 2 fumbles. I dont care about he almost throw 2 interceptions i care that he made the defense pay by not catching them. If we are giving credit to Goff for making pre snap reads then we have to do the same for Mannion it seems like Gruden is the only one that likes the kid. While i do want Mannion to take more shots down field because he can, i will definitely take the check downs if it leads to 3 touchdowns. Thats 21 points per game and when you combine that with Gurley 2 touchdowns a game thats serious offensive power. I know Goff is the Golden boy and everything he does is excellent even his incomplete passes are perfect and the way he fumbles the ball is the most perfectest, fumbles ever I need to see more from him instead of hypotheticals.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3 touchdowns though..
True, but cant say that the level of competition was anything to brag about. And no throws were tight windows or middle of the field. Best throw I've seen all pre-season was Goff pass to Gooper that was dropped

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but cant say that the level of competition was anything to brag about. And no throws were tight windows or middle of the field. Best throw I've seen all pre-season was Goff pass to Gooper that was dropped
Goff average is 6.8 a yard better O can hardly all him a gunslinger too.

So you missed that 4th down catch by spruce or that 3rd down catch he threw in traffic while he was being choke slammed. You salivating over a dropped pass.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff average is 6.8 a yard better O can hardly all him a gunslinger too.

So you missed that 4th down catch by spruce or that 3rd down catch he threw in traffic while he was being choke slammed. You salivating over a dropped pass.
Yeah Spruce made a great catch on a poorly thrown ball by Mannion, I saw that too. But I thought you were defending Mannion here?
6.8 YPA is better than 5.8 for sure and yes the drops do matter. Preseason isn't so much about results (because none of them count) but if you've watched Rams offense the last decade, that type of pass (Goff to Cooper) is what we have been sorely missing
I have no issue with Mannion, look forward to him being Goff back up, just don't think his game was all that. Dink and dunk against practice squad players

bluecoconuts

Legend
Because Mannion isn't the future.

I haven't seen any of our QB's do anything that made me go "Wow."... And that's okay, but people have a tendency to make these guys more than what they are.

Keenum is a game manager, he's not someone that is going to carry the offense week in and week out, but he'll minimize mistakes (for the most part) and generally speaking wont lose you games. People are trying to make him into some elite QB, and he's just not that. I'm comfortable with him until Goff gets going, but long term? No.

Goff is a rookie with good upside.. Just how high his ceiling is we don't yet know, but it's the highest of any of the other three. His footwork looks good and should get better, the accuracy and release is there, along with touch and arm strength. He needs to work on reading defenses and slowing the game down, but that's all going to come as he gets adjusted to the NFL, I don't expect anything else from a rookie at this point. Given we have Keenum we can be more patient with Goff, which is to our benefit. At this point Goff is not the best QB on our roster, but he is quickly closing the gap between him and Keenum.

Mannion is a backup, and that's about it. He's got good armstrength, but I'm not seeing it right now. He played well against the Cowboys, but his footwork isn't as good as Goff's, his accuracy isn't as good, he's got a lot more ground to makeup to give us a good chance of winning. His future is likely Goff's backup after Keenum leaves at the end of the year, but nothing more. He's not the future of this team, and we shouldn't pretend like he is. He's the 3rd best QB right now.

If Goff isn't the future QB of this team then we're in trouble because that means we don't have one on our roster.