Goff to offense or offense to Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know there are a lot of things that Goff did in college that will translate to our offense, but I was thinking...

The QB is the most important factor in the offense - wouldn't it make sense to change your offense to fit the QB?

Fisher comes off as a bit stubborn about his offensive philosophy to me, and I'm wondering if Fisher's plan is to have Goff do the same things Keenum was asked to do, but just do them better because he's a better player.

So, would you guys fit Goff to the offense or the offense to Goff? Or a mixture of both maybe?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'd probably start with Goff to offense while he gets up to speed, then start tailoring it to using his strengths as he gets more comfortable and then building it around both he and Gurley. That would make us the most dangerous to be able to attack however we please

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
If he is indeed the Jeebus he is made out to be he should be able to take Fisher's watered down offence and turn it into wine.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any intelligent OC/HC is going to do a mix of both. You have to have plays in your game plan that play to the strengths of your QB and main playmakers. One thing is certain you can be he's going to be spending a lot of time working on his play action game faking those hand offs to TG3.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd probably start with Goff to offense while he gets up to speed, then start tailoring it to using his strengths as he gets more comfortable and then building it around both he and Gurley. That would make us the most dangerous to be able to attack however we please
This ^ seems to be the Plan, and the most logical way to go!!:D But in the NFL every thing is subject to change do to injuries, and the nature of the game.;)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Id actually do they opposite lol. I'd focus on making him as conifers l's as possible, utilizing the routes that he likes to target and once he starts getting comfortable id start to let him branch out. Warm the farrrari up before we hit the track, if you will.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This ^ seems to be the Plan, and the most logical way to go!!:D But in the NFL every thing is subject to change do to injuries, and the nature of the game.;)
Well they do need to protect him early on .. both for mental and health reasons. But as he progresses I think they unleash him and it will only help TG as well

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Goff fits our offense, already.
Let him hand it off to Gurley and bring him along at a managable pace.

If we wanted to run the read option, we could have signed, RGMe.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a really good question and something I've been wondering about too now that Goff's the guy. His strength is scanning the field quickly and dishing it fast, and it would be extremely stupid to not utilize his strengths. Plus we have the added factor of Boras now running his show. Tons of unknowns there.

If I were the OC my plan would be to run a lot of WCO type concepts with a horizontally spread field and eliminate a defense's ability to load the box. I'd put Goff in the shotgun too for most of his snaps and hand off to Gurley from that formation as well; not all RBs like to take handoffs that way, but Todd reads the holes so quickly I don't think it would slow him. Lastly, I'd put Gurley into the TE and short patterns a lot, just like Martz did with Faulk, and utilize Goff's quick scan and release to distribute it fast.

So if I'm Boras, starting my run as OC with a WCO and shotgun heavy passing game would stack the deck in Goff's favor where he could play as quickly as possible. He'd still need to win the job, but I suspect it would be a laughably one-sided affair.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Any intelligent OC/HC is going to do a mix of both. You have to have plays in your game plan that play to the strengths of your QB and main playmakers. One thing is certain you can be he's going to be spending a lot of time working on his play action game faking those hand offs to TG3.

giphy.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Offense to Goff/Goff to offense... a nice blend...But like some say, hand the rock to Gurley...then let Goff be Goff.

13afz6.jpg

Athos

Legend
If you know what the fuck you're actually doing on offense, you incorporate your QB's strengths into system design. It was done for Mariota and barring that cheap shot injury, he'd have had a helluva year. Same for Wussell no matter how much I find him annoying.

Same for Big Ben early on, and then later in his career to maximize his offensive QB-ing output.

Pigeon-holding a QB into your system is stupid. There's room for compromise, but like with Sam, hold a guy back a majority of his career and you'll end up with a shit product.

Ram65

Legend
This is a really good question and something I've been wondering about too now that Goff's the guy. His strength is scanning the field quickly and dishing it fast, and it would be extremely stupid to not utilize his strengths. Plus we have the added factor of Boras now running his show. Tons of unknowns there.

If I were the OC my plan would be to run a lot of WCO type concepts with a horizontally spread field and eliminate a defense's ability to load the box. I'd put Goff in the shotgun too for most of his snaps and hand off to Gurley from that formation as well; not all RBs like to take handoffs that way, but Todd reads the holes so quickly I don't think it would slow him. Lastly, I'd put Gurley into the TE and short patterns a lot, just like Martz did with Faulk, and utilize Goff's quick scan and release to distribute it fast.

So if I'm Boras, starting my run as OC with a WCO and shotgun heavy passing game would stack the deck in Goff's favor where he could play as quickly as possible. He'd still need to win the job, but I suspect it would be a laughably one-sided affair.

Would they use the pistol formation more? Having Goff 4 yards back could be a happy medium for him and Gurely. Goff gets the ball out of his hands so quick it would be great for quick hits to Tavon and Gurely. I like your ideas. I'm sure they would go full horizontal with vertical deeper passes off the play fakes. Goff throws down the middle well, so look for those TE seem routes. The Rams tried deep passes last year but didn't have the QB to make the throws. I expect a little more of that with the WC short vertical passing game. Should be interesting to see what happens.

jap

Legend
I'll be looking for my play:

"Rams: 1st and goal to go at the five yard line! Goff hands off to Gurley heading around left tackle where GRob is clearing space like a lawnmower. Gurley stops---he is looking to throw the ball! . . . and he does! Wide open in the right end zone corner for an easy grab is Jerad Goff, who sneaked into pay dirt unmolested for an easy pitch and catch game with the Gurley Express! TOUCHDOWN, LA!!!!"

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Once Goff is up to speed, who are defenses going to key on? Stack the box and Goff makes you pay. Sit back in zone and Gurley goes the distance... This is the perfect situation for a young QB to walk into.

What young QB has walked into a better situation? ??

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They just gotta get ONE good addition to this WR group. At a minimum. Move up from round 4 to round 3 where some good pass catching options will be waiting, or sit back and pray one you like (that you think can help soon) falls to you.

This is why Foles is gonna get moved any minute, IMO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pigeon-holding a QB into your system is stupid. There's room for compromise, but like with Sam, hold a guy back a majority of his career and you'll end up with a crap product.

You forgot Foles...and Keenum...I won't list them all, but it's long.

Fisher...the pigeon-holing is strong with this one...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Move up from round 4 to round 3 where some good pass catching options will be waiting, or sit back and pray one you like (that you think can help soon) falls to you.
There are about 3 good receivers that will fall to the 4th round, and who will fit this offense.
Boehringer, Cayleb Jones, Marquez North, Mike Thomas.
@jrry32 and I both like Dan "Superback" Vitale in the 6th as a really good receiving TE option as well.

A55VA6

Legend
If you know what the freak you're actually doing on offense, you incorporate your QB's strengths into system design.
Yep.

I would keep everything the same for the most part, but add in things that Goff likes to do or is very comfortable with doing.

All I know, is our run / play-action game should be pretty awesome, especially in the redzone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really want Bryce Williams to give Goff that super sized possession option. But yeah Boehringer is very intriguing.

Rams will move a QB soon IMO. Definitely before the first team in round 3 is on the clock, and I think a move up is a strong possibility if they get a good return on the QB.