Goff showed me alot against Arizona

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Call me a homer, but I still believe this...A real QB can lift the play of those around them.
Homer.

I don't disagree with you, Champ. But also, there are too many instances or examples of that being false too. You have to be really, really special to be able to elevate an entire team by yourself. One could easily make the case that most QBs are just a product of their environment. Take Bulger for example. Quickest guy (IIRC) to 10,000 yards passing when he had the GSOT on his side. Quickest to the infirmary in 2009. The difference? The support. I think Goff is a very good QB - or can be - but he's not going to elevate the offense as is, IMO. Maybe 10 years from now when he's got it all figured out, he'll be able to do MUCH better with less, but I can't see him (or any QB) being able to single-handedly turn around an offense like the one we saw this year.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not saying you're wrong, but how do you know a certain player lacks leadership or has leadership without being in the building or huddle with them?
Have you heard Goffs interviews? He seems to be taking this bad season on his shoulders and is working hard for change. Don't remember Sam saying anything like that . You can also see him at the line moving guys around its night and day from preseason. Not sure about you but when I was 22 I was not ready to lead grown men but he seems to be doing all the right things so far.

FRO

Legend
Homer.

I don't disagree with you, Champ. But also, there are too many instances or examples of that being false too. You have to be really, really special to be able to elevate an entire team by yourself. One could easily make the case that most QBs are just a product of their environment. Take Bulger for example. Quickest guy (IIRC) to 10,000 yards passing when he had the GSOT on his side. Quickest to the infirmary in 2009. The difference? The support. I think Goff is a very good QB - or can be - but he's not going to elevate the offense as is, IMO. Maybe 10 years from now when he's got it all figured out, he'll be able to do MUCH better with less, but I can't see him (or any QB) being able to single-handedly turn around an offense like the one we saw this year.
I think QBs can elevate players, but not to the level some fans think. A good QB can make an average WR look good and a good one look great. A QB cannot make a fringe roster guy into a superstar like some seem to think.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LOLOL
but I can't see him (or any QB) being able to single-handedly turn around an offense like the one we saw this year.
Again, once this ball started rolling downhill, yeah, Dan Marino probably couldn't stop it...But...3-1....Playing hard...a couple key plays...we're 6-3, 7-2, something...and rolling the other way. Momentum...

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Homer.

No qb would of won in that system , we need someone to cater their system to his game and not force him to do something he's not good at .

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think QBs can elevate players, but not to the level some fans think. A good QB can make an average WR look good and a good one look great. A QB cannot make a fringe roster guy into a superstar like some seem to think.
Agreed. And the inverse is also true. You get a receiver like Bruce or Holt or Fitzgerald, and they're going to produce no matter who's throwing the ball.

FRO

Legend
Have you heard Goffs interviews? He seems to be taking this bad season on his shoulders and is working hard for change. Don't remember Sam saying anything like that . You can also see him at the line moving guys around its night and day from preseason. Not sure about you but when I was 22 I was not ready to lead grown men but he seems to be doing all the right things so far.
Being good in interviews doesn't make you a good leader. Putting in the work, being a good teammate is being a good leader. We have no clue how any player is behind closed doors. That's when leadership happens. Now your assessment may be 100% correct. I just don't know how I can judge it without being in the building with the guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LOLOL
Again, once this ball started rolling downhill, yeah, Dan Marino probably couldn't stop it...But...3-1....Playing hard...a couple key plays...we're 6-3, 7-2, something...and rolling the other way. Momentum...
Hmmm. I'll bet Marino would have gotten us 4 or 5 more wins. I don't like him personally, but I've never seen a QB with a better arm coupled with lightning fast release times. Now, would the receivers have been where Marino wanted them to be all the time? Again ... "Hmmmm."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want to see how Goff attacks the Off-Season! And then how he performs in TC and Preseason! He's Tough, but can he improve like he did at Cal!!?!

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I seen all of the Bulger years and he looked good because of the wr and offensive game plan. I don't blame Foles anymore because that offense destroyed his confidence .
Bulger got beat up behind that offensive line we had at the time too.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Whatever happened to the win as a team lose as a team thing.....

No none player is more important than the other And that stuff. Like how games have been won for decades.

This is like Fisher is running a Greyhound bus terminal.

BelgianRam

UDFA
Name
Timoty
Ok I'll give my take on the kid after his first seven games for what it's worth

He has abilities that we haven't seen a rams QB have for the last decade: good movement in the pocket (if there was something resembling that), good pocket awareness, anticipation throws, toughness, an arm good enough to make all the throws.

Other positives: leadership, seen him go through his progressions on occasion, always got the play off on time (don't remember using a time out in his seven games due to play clock issues), forgets a bad interception immediately

negatives: inaccuracy at times, missed a couple big plays

I'm pretty positive this guy can develop into a franchise QB, with the right talent, mentality and scheme he will be great

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I the last 2 games, Goff threw interceptions early...maybe 2nd or 3rd drives in the game. Poorly placed. B4 he even began to get hit much. Like he has terrible preparations...and hadn't worked with the receivers (Kenny Britt). Simple slants. B4 he began to get really hit. IDK...You go in games throwing picks that early on open plays...Just shows me a kid just throwing the ball without much plan/care. Kinda of a chuck & duck philosophy. Not my idea of standing tough in the pocket.

Goff didn't throw an interception against Arizona, Pharoh Cooper did. Goff threw an interception against San Francisco on a pass to Britt. I'm not sure what Britt was running on the play. It looks sort of like a post route that he leveraged outside off the LOS.

I'm going to submit an alternate theory. Jared Goff is a rookie. Rookies make mistakes. His Int against San Francisco had nothing to do with chucking and ducking. He threw the ball on time with no pressure. It just wasn't placed well. Maybe he underestimated Tramaine Brock. He had LBs dropping underneath. He had to choose his throwing lane. He chose the wrong lane.

I think you're looking for things that aren't there.

Call me a homer, but I still believe this...A real QB can lift the play of those around them.

I'm not going to call you a homer. I'm going to call you unrealistic. By your definition, many of the top QBs in the game today weren't "real" QBs as rookies. You are expecting a rookie to do something that only a handful of veteran QBs can do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Again not doubting that at all, but sometimes you can see ability instantaneously, however, with Jared Thomas Goff I am still waiting and again that is JMHO. The Saints game he showed some ability every other game he did not.

I don't throw in the towel, however, I am anxious to see if the Rams do hire an offensive coach what their take is on Goff. For example if the Rams hired Kyle Shanahan and Shanahan stated that Goff has all the intangibles and ability to be an upper echelon Quarterback then I will go to sleep with a smile on my face, but I am interested to get a different prospective.

If you expect the new coach to say anything other than that, then you will be disappointed. We won't know until next season sometime. Even then may be too soon. This offense is bad. There could be a lot of turnover.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you expect the new coach to say anything other than that, then you will be disappointed.

Oh, IDK, I could see a coach coming in and saying..."We are going to evaluate all the positions including Quarterback and then go from there." Or, "We have to put more talent around Jared giving him a better opportunity to be successful." See that's not a ringing endorsement, but if the new Head Coach comes out and says, "I'm really excited about possibilities with Jared Goff all we need to do is to sure up the offensive line and add some play makers and people will start to understand why he was drafted number one overall."

Three totally different statements....Now we will here more once training camp starts, but I am interested to here what the new coach does say and if they add a QB in free agency or draft one, that could say quite a bit too.