Goff says"Mike Thomas has found a role"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is to hoping that people will confuse our Mike Thomas with the Saints' Mike Thomas

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah that's exactly what I mean.

It will be interesting who will have the better career.

The thing I like the most about The Rams Mike Thomas is that he continued to work hard through the diversity. Playing well on special teams. He had a couple fumbles returning , but showed his competency in doing so. He showed he could be a gunner as well.
--In training camp his route running stood out. /-When game time came he missed some easy catches though. Think that he has learned a valuable lessons , & is hungry to succeed

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And contrary to popular belief, speed can be taught. Otherwise tens of thousands of track coaches across America would be useless and Olympic track athletes wouldn't need to work out.
Meh....You can get anyone to improve on their natural speed...but you'll never get a fast guy to olympic type speed from training...just can't happen. You are literally born to be fast.
Track coaches, batting coaches, shooting coaches are kinda living off of the belief you can improve anyone with work...hard work...but you can't turn joe schmoe into Mike Trout or Usain Bolt...

you work out because even amongst fast people, the ones that train the right way, longer...are going to get better.

You can improve hands and route running but size and speed is what it is.
pretty much this....

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Meh....You can get anyone to improve on their natural speed...but you'll never get a fast guy to olympic type speed from training...just can't happen. You are literally born to be fast.
Track coaches, batting coaches, shooting coaches are kinda living off of the belief you can improve anyone with work...hard work...but you can't turn joe schmoe into Mike Trout or Usain Bolt...

you work out because even amongst fast people, the ones that train the right way, longer...are going to get better.

pretty much this....

That's all mostly true. But even Usain Bolt lost when his training wasn't focused. Who's to say how much speed focused training Mike Thomas has ever done?

I also find it very... weird that you're suggesting that training at something doesn't help. Or at least won't help much. I don't even know how to cope with that. Especially coming from the guy who still believes that Quick and GRob can become good players.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I also find it very... weird that you're suggesting that training at something doesn't help. Or at least won't help much.
maybe I'm not clear...
Mike Thomas is a very fast man.....but wouldn't place in an Olympic trials....no matter how much training he did...Consequently, the guy that played for Buffalo...#88....wide receiver. Gil....something....I bet he could beat Thomas in a race with minimal training...just staying in shape...no matter with who or how much work Mike Thomas put in.

As someone up there /\ noted, skills like routes...hands...and overall techniques CAN be improved. So a player can always put in some work and get better. Hence, raw players with TALENT can be coached up and get significantly better at playing football. They can also get marginally better as overall athletes (stronger & faster). See the difference?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
maybe I'm not clear...
Mike Thomas is a very fast man.....but wouldn't place in an Olympic trials....no matter how much training he did...Consequently, the guy that played for Buffalo...#88....wide receiver. Gil....something....I bet he could beat Thomas in a race with minimal training...just staying in shape...no matter with who or how much work Mike Thomas put in.

As someone up there /\ noted, skills like routes...hands...and overall techniques CAN be improved. So a player can always put in some work and get better. Hence, raw players with TALENT can be coached up and get significantly better at playing football. They can also get marginally better as overall athletes (stronger & faster). See the difference?
You mean it's easy to teach a guy to run good routes and catch the ball well and shake off a defender? I wonder why Renaldo Nehemiah or Tony Horne or Marcus Goodwin (the guy I think you were referencing for Buffalo is now in SF) didn't become All Pro WR's then.

You can make somebody better at things including speed but you can't make them great at something if they don't already have some talent. I can't think of a single guy that was a track star that converted to a good NFL player. Deion Sanders, Darrell Green and Todd Gurley were all both track and football (and more) from High School to College and to the Pro level that's a whole different level of athlete than what you and I are both talking about.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You mean it's easy to teach a guy to run good routes and catch the ball well and shake off a defender?
No, nothing is "easy" at the professional level...Hard work and dedication is definitely required. Especially route running. Catching takes supreme concentration...and various drills.

I can't think of a single guy that was a track star that converted to a good NFL player.
You might be too young....lol to remember the guy Bob Hayes....bullet...or the guy for Miami....he was pretty good too. Darrel Green was a great player, that had world class speed, but decided to forego his athletic career in track for football. Primetime as well...but the only real Olympic type speed guys that did ...relatively well were Willie Gault and our own Ron Brown...both needed more work on precision routes...both appeared to fail in putting in the required/necessary work.

PS....didn't mean to copy your Avi....probably change to something else when camp ends...thinking of a longshot.

I thought the speed guy was Mike Gil...ip...see or something like that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
No, nothing is "easy" at the professional level...Hard work and dedication is definitely required. Especially route running. Catching takes supreme concentration...and various drills.

You might be too young....lol to remember the guy Bob Hayes....bullet...or the guy for Miami....he was pretty good too. Darrel Green was a great player, that had world class speed, but decided to forego his athletic career in track for football. Primetime as well...but the only real Olympic type speed guys that did ...relatively well were Willie Gault and our own Ron Brown...both needed more work on precision routes...both appeared to fail in putting in the required/necessary work.

PS....didn't mean to copy your Avi....probably change to something else when camp ends...thinking of a longshot.

I thought the speed guy was Mike Gil...ip...see or something like that.

Quote my whole thing next time :p I mention Darrell Green he isn't a guy you're talking about he was a football guy that also was a track guy. Gualt was a football guy that also was a track guy. Bob Hayes the same thing you bring up a bunch of guys that were two sport phenom's. Every guy you bring up was two sport stars even the guy you keep thinking is Mike but is either Marquis Goodwin or Stephon Gilmore. You bring up a bunch of 1st round picks and claim they're track stars converted to football studs and that's just not the case these are all rare cases of two sport (track and football) standouts a totally different case. Ron Brown is an example of what you're talking about as he didn't play college football. And if that's the kind of guy you want coached up he had 98 catches and 13 touchdowns in an 8 year career. Hardly a shining example. I get what you're trying to say but this fascination with taking a speedster and making him a good NFL player is a large failure historically.

As for the AVI all the love Jack gets is a good thing :) He's due for an appearance on the Rich Eisen show.

nanotech

Rookie
You can make somebody better at things including speed but you can't make them great at something if they don't already have some talent. I can't think of a single guy that was a track star that converted to a good NFL player.

Bob Hayes

nanotech

Rookie
You can make somebody better at things including speed but you can't make them great at something if they don't already have some talent. I can't think of a single guy that was a track star that converted to a good NFL player.

Bob Hayes
never mind

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
And contrary to popular belief, speed can be taught. Otherwise tens of thousands of track coaches across America would be useless and Olympic track athletes wouldn't need to work out.

Yeah, it's called PED's.

Otherwise the only way to increase speed is to replace slow muscle tissue with quick twitch muscle tissue.

DNA modification.

Stem cell research...

Hmmm... maybe our training staff is better than I thought.

Ram65

Legend
Gotta love the 40 yard times.

Pro day was 4.53. Kenny Britt did a 4.5. In 2015, he finished with 71 catches for 1,391 yards and 14 touchdowns. That is 19.6 YPC. So he has been a deep threat. No reason he could not get his time below or at 4.5 which is great as Britt has always been able to have a high YPC and get deep. Some guys run faster in game with pads on. Thomas seems to ball out when he is in competition. Could be a good thing that he wasn't invited to the combine but you don't see get to see him run in shorts.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/mike-thomas?id=2555562
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-thomas-6.html
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...other-michael-thomas-turns-into-a-draft-steal

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Quote my whole thing next time :p I mention Darrell Green he isn't a guy you're talking about he was a football guy that also was a track guy. Gualt was a football guy that also was a track guy. Bob Hayes the same thing you bring up a bunch of guys that were two sport phenom's. Every guy you bring up was two sport stars even the guy you keep thinking is Mike but is either Marquis Goodwin or Stephon Gilmore. You bring up a bunch of 1st round picks and claim they're track stars converted to football studs and that's just not the case these are all rare cases of two sport (track and football) standouts a totally different case. Ron Brown is an example of what you're talking about as he didn't play college football. And if that's the kind of guy you want coached up he had 98 catches and 13 touchdowns in an 8 year career. Hardly a shining example. I get what you're trying to say but this fascination with taking a speedster and making him a good NFL player is a large failure historically.

As for the AVI all the love Jack gets is a good thing :) He's due for an appearance on the Rich Eisen show.

Remember, I think it was Renoldo Niamia of the 9ers. Took a route that was supposed to stop when the defense was Zone but didn't know the difference and ran his route right into one of the biggest hits ever. He never quite got over that. A different point but your post made me think of that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
He's been getting Tavon's snaps.

That said, Thomas being one of the fastest WR sounds nice.

On the other hand, while he perhaps plays faster than his 4.53/40 pro day time on the field, such a statement may also speak to a potential lack of speed at WR from the other main players constantly mentioned.

And the current secondary.
:hiding:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Found this from espn fantasy.

Rams fans probably remember Thomas as the guy who fumbled the opening kickoff against the Falcons and dropped an easy catch on a deep ball against the Seahawks. He was a sixth-round pick who made key mistakes in the few opportunities he received. But Thomas said he has made "tremendous growth" since his rookie season and received a lot of first-team reps throughout OTAs. "He's kind of found a role for himself," Rams quarterback Jared Goff said. "He's one of our faster receivers and can stretch the defense. I think he enjoys that role and understands that he's going to be an over-the-top guy. It's just a perfect role for him." -- Alden Gonzalez

-- my thoughts were from watching him at UCI last year. He really did a good job running routes. The Rams DB's couldn't stop him when he made his cuts on the outs. Being a 6th RD pick. I think Snisher pulled off a good player there.

---Snead works hard on trusting his scout team. I think maybe the GM is put in a tough spot at times.

I hate when The Rams trade up for a player. -- They seem to do much better trading back.

RG111. --- Brockers --plus ext.....
-The trade back & still got Ogletree --
-This trade back to get Everett & still add a 3rd Rd pick
Last year to trade back & still get Copper & Mike Thomas is WAY Underlooked !!!
113 - for 117 (Cooper & Thomas) 206 !!!

Where all The Ram fans talking crap ???

I'm all about the Kool-aide . Jared Goff ?? Having McVay as Fhe Rams coach makes this thing really work. The Rams core & youth is solid.
--Woods,Whitworth,Barwin,Sullivan,,Webster, & even Nick Robey(USC) .
Those are solid pick ups , especially compared to Dumb & Dumber. Then maybe dumbest for 6th rd pick & cap space to help front load a little more of Donald's contract. --Matt Barnes ?? Good luck 8ers. Lance 5 thumbs Kendricks ?
Dunbar over Bennie out of the back field.
---Enter Mike Thomas as the KR guy or P.Cooper ?? I liked Bennie , but injury bug & Dunbar has serious speed.

-- Hayes & Simms ??? -- how many offsides did has have thinking about Mermaids?? -- McDonald & his suspension??

I think The Dams are on the right path.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And the current secondary.
:hiding:

Will see ?? I like The Rams going with Joyner playing center field. This John Johnson is an interesting prospect to me . The fact Wade wanted him is good enough for me right now.
What about the ex- Ram DB who just played in the Pro Bowl Wade help put in a spot to succeed?? Stewart ??
-- we can doubt players all day long, even if trusting them can be a bit scary .

--The Rams pass rush will be key. If you want to question the secondary that's fine. --My believe is The Rams will have more INTS as a team than any of the last 5 years under Jeff Fisher !!!
---I thought Fisher was good with Cortland & Jones with Tenn. Never was a big thing under Fisher, maybe his first year ??

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I already posted who I think makes it as WRs.

We'll see how it all plays out, but yeah, I think Thomas fights his way onto the squad over Cooper (whom I like a lot) and guys like Marquez and North.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Will see ?? I like The Rams going with Joyner playing center field. This John Johnson is an interesting prospect to me . The fact Wade wanted him is good enough for me right now.
What about the ex- Ram DB who just played in the Pro Bowl Wade help put in a spot to succeed?? Stewart ??
-- we can doubt players all day long, even if trusting them can be a bit scary .

--The Rams pass rush will be key. If you want to question the secondary that's fine. --My believe is The Rams will have more INTS as a team than any of the last 5 years under Jeff Fisher !!!
---I thought Fisher was good with Cortland & Jones with Tenn. Never was a big thing under Fisher, maybe his first year ??

I was just commenting on group speed.

That said, I'm not a fan of having someone with such poor ball skills (Joyner) at FS. I look forward to seeing Johnson play, but I heard it was "Bones" Fassell who was the guy who really pushed for him.

IMO, Ex-Ram Darian Stewart was a pretty good player who struggled to stay healthy with the Rams. He was pretty good with Baltimore, too. But, I'd say his Pro Bowl berth wasn't only on Wade. That pass rush and having 3 stud man coverage CBs, each of which, are good enough to be the best man coverage CB on this team helped his cause.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I already posted who I think makes it as WRs.

We'll see how it all plays out, but yeah, I think Thomas fights his way onto the squad over Cooper (whom I like a lot) and guys like Marquez and North.

Special teams is where a WR on the bubble can stick with the team. Marquez isn't as good a receiver as most the others but he's a special teams demon.

With that said I think Thomas will make the roster with his ability to take the top off a defense. But dang, those hands are so inconsistent.