Goff Refining His Hard Count?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Re-watchted the London game and counted at least 4 times the Cards jumped off sides. Looking back further, Seahags jumped off sides couple times too.

Is it Goff's hard count getting them to jump?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Re-watchted the London game and counted at least 4 times the Cards jumped off sides. Looking back further, Seahags jumped off sides couple times too.

I think it's that, plus as soon as a defensive player goes off sides, I've noticed our offensive lineman immediately stand up or put an arm out and check the defensive player. Great awareness by Goff and our offensive lineman imo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not only is he doing great at that he's making most of the play calls at the line of scrimmage. He's also audibling at the line like a vet. His skills at the line are light years ahead of a normal 22 year old who's only started 14 games.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He's doing an excellent job in that facet. Hope to see the "Turbo" verbiage as iconic as Manning's "Omaha"

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Not only is he doing great at that he's making most of the play calls at the line of scrimmage. He's also audibling at the line like a vet. His skills at the line are light years ahead of a normal 22 year old who's only started 14 games.

I said exactly that to my friend on Sunday. Haven’t gone back yet to check whether it was more pronounced vs the cards than in the other games this season or if it was just more obvious to me because I was physically there. Either way, it’s impressive as hell.

…..

Legend
The audibles are great. Not sure about the hard counts because I didn't hear his cadence very well and I thought the Cards were flagged for lining up in the natural zone rather than being drawn offside. But perhaps he was drawing them into nuetural zone infractions.

Aside from the two things above that Goff is doing well, I noticed one thing that he was doing awful at, and that his play action fakes. They are extremely lazy and not very effective. I believe there was even one time he faked to no one because it was an empty backfield. That just tells me he's going through the motions and not concerned about what they are trying to sell. I'd like to see him work on that and to be honest, it's a coaching thing too because I would expect that to be amongst the "little things" that a QB coach would address immediately.

Pretty sure though that there's very little time for these details with the short practice weeks. Just a bit surprised to see it lacking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish we'd do the Aaron Rodgers and start snapping the ball when they jump. Rodgers murders teams with free plays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's doing an excellent job in that facet. Hope to see the "Turbo" verbiage as iconic as Manning's "Omaha"

I'm pretty sure I heard Goff say "Omaha" against Arizona.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm pretty sure I heard Goff say "Omaha" against Arizona.

For me giving Goff so much Guff not being able to audible at the LOS, this year, he is looking and sounding like Manning with his movements, but Manning could never had pulled off the nine yard keeper.

Ram65

Legend

I sure hope so. It's a great weapon. On third and 5 or less it's a free 1st down. I think it's more the offensive line has to be disciplined. Wonder how they signal the hard count when they are going out of the no huddle. Something to watch for.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
This only works if the entire offense is working as a unit. Setting and holding that stance while Goff does the hard count, then resetting however they are told.

We've seen the hard count try to be used in the past, but the offense was not functioning as a unit. Too many times people false started - and that was across the board not just lineman.

Now these guys are functioning as a unit. I love that in a game like this past one we are not only putting together a long scoring drive - 10 minutes. We are also seeing Mcvay use these moments as opportunities to help our players progress together as a team.

KayJay

Starter
If you recall I remember Saffold saying Goffs cadence was impressive. And that was Goff as a rookie. So it should be no surprise its starting to surface. God can you imagine next year? I mean we aren't finished this year, but I'm amped to see Goff's second year in this offense and how much he continues to improve.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
This is great and all, however, it's useless when they have to use a silent count...

...at HOME! :mad:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This only works if the entire offense is working as a unit. Setting and holding that stance while Goff does the hard count, then resetting however they are told.

We've seen the hard count try to be used in the past, but the offense was not functioning as a unit. Too many times people false started - and that was across the board not just lineman.

Now these guys are functioning as a unit. I love that in a game like this past one we are not only putting together a long scoring drive - 10 minutes. We are also seeing Mcvay use these moments as opportunities to help our players progress together as a team.
Everybody should read this....then lock the thread.....no more needs to be said.:yess:
:cheers: A.J.

JackStraw

Rookie
I like that there's a reason to speculate considering last season it seemed like he snapped the ball as the play clock expired for most of his time. I hope Goff is specifically driven to be the best Cal alum QB in the league. I don't think that's possible but I do expect Jared to start more than 200 games in his career and retire on his own terms ala Brees, Manning, and Brady.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He has been impressive running this offense, which I believe is the result of natural talent, good coaching, hard work, and great players around him.