Goff Rabid Niner Fan. Does It Matter?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Does It Matter To You In The Rams Quarterback Selection That Jared Goff Is An Avowed Whiner Fan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
As the draft approaches, and the debate about the Rams first overall pick rages on, one detail stands out for me regarding one of the quarterback candidates. A little backdrop...

I don't know about the majority of you, but when I was a boy the horns hooked me for life. I became a Rams fan because my dad was a Rams fan in the early 1970s. And Jack Snow and Harold Jackson became quick early favorites. I think my dad even hung a John Hadl poster above my bed. ( *Historical note: I may have used the same tacks a few years later to hang my Farrah Faucet poster.) :shades:

I loved Youngblood and Olson. My dad told me about Roman Gabriel.- missed him by a few years. Loved Dave Elmendorf, then later Nolan Cromwell became a favorite DB.

The point is: I was a Ram. No turning back. Flash forward. We move to Northern California. A few years prior to Montana/Walsh. I wasn't about to switch alegience to the "Whiners". :mad:

"Three tickets, please," became my dad's yearly refrain, as he walked up to the Candlestick ticket booth, donning his Rams cap. From 1974-1984 this was our ritual. In the early years, we would glance at the passing Niner attendees, in their usual funeral attire. "Don't laugh at them son. It's not polite." Dad would invariably chide me. "Ten dollars apiece, the ticket booth lady would respond." Dollar for parking. {sigh}

(I couldn't help myself. I was probably snickering. Knowing those Niner empty souled fans were about to be served a healthy portion of Lawrence McCutcheon ground chuck. At least they could wash it down with their energy drink-Nolan Cromwell Pick-6. :snicker: I digress.)

My dad, younger brother and I would then walk through the Niner stench to our seats. (Little did I know, my little brother, we'll call him, "bandwagon boy" would become a Whiner fan. He still wets the bed, and has my mom cut the crust off his sandwiches)

Back to our story: It would another decade before a young Jared Goff was born, about 20 miles north of Candlestick, while I grew up 20 miles south. He would miss the Niner dynasty of the '80s and mid '90s but catch tales of Joe Montana from his dad, just as I did of Roman Gabriel from mine.

Jared Goff would play catcher at a rival Catholic school to mine. I played catcher years earlier against his school. A young Tom Brady played catcher 11 years after me for my school. :puke:(One of the 3 of us lacked the skills to move up to the next level):unsure:

Goff played quarterback as well. And wore #16 for his hero, Joe Montana. He would wear that number at Cal Berkeley as well. He may ask the equipment manager on his new NFL team for the same number....

No doubt all football players grow up idolizing favotite teams and players. Aaron Donald grew up a huge Steelers fan. He's a Ram now. You just strap it on.

But is this a little different? Does this affect who any of you guys want to see in horns? I'm curious.

After all, there would be something ironic about seeing a #16 on our quarterbacks back. And knowing...

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The very fact that I have heard Niner fans aver to me over the months that Goff would be theirs, makes taking him (like a bully takes someones lunch at grade school) very satisfying...:yess::rockon::cheers:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let me ask you this @Roman Snow;

I'm signing you for 4yr $24MM with $17MM guaranteed to play for the 49'ers.

My hunch is; you just became the biggest 49'er fan... (y)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

:rant:Neveeeeeeeer!!:shooting:

...or at least that would be my holdout strategy, until the guaranteed money hit $20 million.
:snicker:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

I'm betting he still wouldn't give up his Rams underoos!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Doesn't matter at all. If the guy is really Aaron Rodgers come again (he's apparently better than he was at this stage - but of course Rodgers had that prolonged apprenticeship behind Favre) then he's going to be a good one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams draft Wentz there's a strong possibility Goff ends up a 49er. For those of us that are huge fans of Goff, that would suck

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the Rams draft Wentz there's a strong possibility Goff ends up a 49er. For those of us that are huge fans of Goff, that would suck

I don't think so especially if Wentz ends up being the better Quarterback you will forget you ever loved Goff or you will remember the day you switched from loving blondes to red heads!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree @dieterbrock I like both these guys and think they will be successful. It's funny, you don't get a ton of love for Goff over on Niner Nation, unless I missed something. I hate to say it, for the kids sake, but if we go Wentz, I hope the House of Pain swallows Goff. Then we don't face him twice a year when he develops.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think so especially if Wentz ends up being the better Quarterback you will forget you ever loved Goff or you will remember the day you switched from loving blondes to red heads!
Not comparing the 2 players, their impact on the game nor my appreciation for the player while they played in college but remember who you're talking to here. I bleed blue and gold for Notre Dame and Joe Montana was my hero as a boy. But make no mistake about it, the minute he donned red and gold I wanted nothing but the worst for him. Just saying it would suck that they draft him. Of course after that he's the enemy