Goff played "Horrible" even when the Line was good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This is what I take issue with when talking about Goff. People give him all the leeway in the world from the oline to scheme to hell even Gurley. But when it comes to Gurley it's all on him @Soul Surfer not saying it's you but I don't like Goff at all but I'm not going to lay the blame solely on him like some people do to Gurley.

Does DOVA or whatever metric they use adjust for dropped passes?? They certainly weren't the reason that Goff was terrible last year but they were a definite contributing factor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All you have to do is look at the pressure percentage and compare it to others. Goff was pressured on an inordinate number of snaps. When you get pressured consistently, it affects how you play without pressure.

I'm not concerned about Goff. He's the future of this franchise. I'm just glad that the internet will archive all the haters.

Tano

Legend
I re-watched a few of Goff's games and there was no way anyone could succeed with an offensive game plan I have called the worst ever since 2000. Over half of the pass plays in the first half of each of his games had all 5 receivers within 5-8 yards of the line of scrimmage. The opposing defense usually had each player covered on these plays. It was so ridiculous to think that Goff would be successful with such a crappy offensive game plan.

However, on the times that Goff had a receiver go between 10 and 25 yards in the first half, he usually threw a much better pass. But it was rare that the Rams drew up a play like that. They either had them go deep or within 8 yards, hardly ever anything in between.

You can throw away the second half of each game because other than the Dolphin and 49er games, he was playing catch-up. And in the Dolphin and 49er games, Boras went with the Fisher patented "prevent a win" offense.

Last edited:

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's that time of year for the journalists. You are going to have to pick your side of the fence as to Goff's success or failure. I really can't see judging Goff last year since the entire offense was in disarray, but I am not ready to dismiss this years performance because of a new system. I hope he guy works out. I'm pulling for him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This is what I take issue with when talking about Goff. People give him all the leeway in the world from the oline to scheme to hell even Gurley. But when it comes to Gurley it's all on him @Soul Surfer not saying it's you but I don't like Goff at all but I'm not going to lay the blame solely on him like some people do to Gurley.
I didn't say it was all Gurley either. I see it as a total offensive collapse in every area.
O Line
Receivers
Ball carriers
Play calling
Scheme
Coaching
Coordinators
Blocking

Gurley could actually be the easiest fix on the Offense.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Damn, I love this time of year!

IMO, articles like this are complete garbage because pundits, like this guy, spew a very simplistic viewpoint, and really don't provide an in-depth perspective because of their overall lack of knowledge. Most times, they regurgitate another writer's article, which essentially "piles on."

We can agree last season was a complete cluster f*ck from Kroenke down to the water hydration technician. The only thing that matters is who is going to take the next step and make this team competitive each week. At this point, I don't give a flying crap about last season. All I care about is what is going to happen starting in July. Hindsight is 20-20 and we can continue to discuss the many failures by players, coaches, etc. from last season. 2016 is over, it's done. Nothing is accomplished from re-hashing everything from another losing season. Not everyone is going to agree with how this team is comprised over the next couple months, and that's okay. My hope is the coaches put together a roster of players who will truly compete every game. Anything less is unacceptable.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nobody on that offense played with any belief or confidence from very early on in the season. It was apparent that the players did not buy in, the offense was not going to be successful in fact it was only designed to be efficient at best. Like going to a craft beer festival and saying give me a Bud just not a winning design.

The other is that QB Case Keenum played in the same offense behind the same line with the same receivers and the same coaching staff...and the outcome was completely different
I wouldn't call that outcome completely different.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, when i saw the heading i thought i bet this is a tst article. Sure enough they didn't fail me.

If anyone from that garbage site is here i want to give you a message - go fuck yourself.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Haha, when i saw the heading i thought i bet this is a tst article. Sure enough they didn't fail me.

If anyone from that garbage site is here i want to give you a message - go freak yourself.

Trust me they lurk. Here is my msg to them.
1311598944677.jpg

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Maybe they might learn that even if the rams have been in a 13 year rut it's still possible to have positive thoughts about them.

Can't help stupid, even if reality hit them in the face.

Think of TST as CNN which smears...
1k89uq.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And the thread goes full cancerous. Not that it's a topic that hasn't been hashed a million effin times anyway though, so no big loss.

Jesus it's going to be a pain in the @$$ to wait for camp this year. Someone got a time machine?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
It didn’t matter what his circumstances was, because as this data supports, even when things where all right and set up for him to actually succeed, he failed to take advantage.

This is where I stopped reading. Yes, you do have to take into account the circumstances where they came from, what type of philosophy the head coach has down to the guy calling the plays. Another writer using only statistics to form an opinion. :blah:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so let me ask you this you enter a completion to win 5 million bucks you get to the place and a guy takes you into a room with 10 huge brick walls in front of you and hands you a piece of paper with 10 quadratic equations and tells you to stand in front of the first wall and solve the first equation
BUT WAIT

you have a 20 second limit and the wall may or mat NOT collapse on you at any time

if those walls fall on you 5 times out of 10 ..come wall number ten you aint gonna care what the value of Y is

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
What reporters have to remember is that the Rams, from top to bottom (with a few exceptions) imploded last year, the coaching staff were terrible, the OCs were unqualified and inexperienced and it showed. So, no, I'm not worrying about last season any more - and numbers and stats don't bother me about last season either. It was a shit year, whether it was due to the move, poor man management, poor preparation whatever - it was last season under a different regime. And I've said on many other threads that Fisher (and I liked the guy) was not good at developing offensive talent - and it didn't seem that he pulled a good team around Goff to help him succeed. That was a failing.

This regime seems different to me, McVay and Phillips seem to be pulling together and seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet - and what I like is there's a lot of smiling and laughing, the players seem to be enjoying themselves AND working damn hard.

I will discuss Goff at the end of this season, the only way he can silence critics is to play well and win games, so I'm rooting for the guy.

Note: I didn't like the Goff draft pick, didn't like any of the QBs that year, but I trust @jrry32 opinion on him, and also hope that he's right ;)