Goff played "Horrible" even when the Line was good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
LA Rams QB Jared Goff Was Absolutely Horrible in 2016

by misone Jun 21, 2017

Much of what was spun out of 2016 was that Rams QB Jared Goff struggled because of poor play. Perhaps the bigger problem was how badly he played even when the line was good.

usa_today_9850599.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams Quarterback Jared Goff has yet to escape his terrible rookie season of 2016.

In his debut campaign, Goff delivered plenty of turnovers, errant throws, and took a lot of sacks.

To be blunt, Goff’s first season was a nightmare. But one of the more recent stats revealed might be the most terrifying for Rams fans.

Football Outsiders recently released their Quarterbacks and Pressure 2016 article, and things did not look good for Goff.

There are two related things I continuously point out. One is that is not all of the pressure Goff saw was the offensive line’s fault.

He simply struggled mightily against the blitz with just identifying it and knowing what to do.

Teams knew this, and they exploited this weakness unlike ever before.

The other is that QB Case Keenum played in the same offense behind the same line with the same receivers and the same coaching staff...and the outcome was completely different.

FO had this to say;

It is time that we talked about Goff, a true Hollywood horror film. With or without pressure, his DVOA was the pits of 2016.

Now the fact that he had the highest pressure rate of any quarterback since 2010 (40.4 percent) might draw him some sympathy, but let's consider the fact that teammate Case Keenum's rate was only 21.2 percent, ranked sixth in the league.

The Rams had four offensive linemen play at least 893 snaps last year, so there was not a massive decline in talent and continuity when Goff took over.

Defenses blitzed Goff more than Keenum, but there was not a huge difference.

It is more likely that the rookie just got a bit confused at times, mixing up where the next pass-rusher was coming from with where the sun was going to set.

Those numbers represent a massive difference in performance. It’s actually quite scary to think that the future of your franchise struggled that much.

Things got more interesting once they dove into what Goff did when he faced zero pressure. This is actually where the nightmare starts and seemingly never ends.

However, one of the absolute best stats in judging whether or not a quarterback can cut it in this league is DVOA without pressure.

Some crazy results can happen under pressure, but you expect the quarterback to do well when given a clean pocket from which to operate.

This is where Goff's season -- and granted, it was seven starts on an offense that has been barren for years -- gets really scary.

Since 2010, no quarterback had a worse DVOA without pressure than Goff's -45.2%. In fact, it was not even close.

Goff_pressure_1.jpg

In all sincerity I never knew it was possible for someone to play that bad without reason. Goff’s -45.2% makes Brady Quinn’s 2012 season look like any of Tom Brady’s seasons.

But, where there’s darkness, there’s an opportunity for a glimmer of light to be a hero. Enter new Head Coach Sean McVay:

If we dropped the requirement to 100 passes, that would bring up a holy trio of awfulness in Ryan Lindley (2012 Cardinals),

Tyler Palko (2011 Chiefs), and Caleb Hanie (2011 Bears). It also includes Kirk Cousins in his 2013 season, and he has at least made something of himself in these last two years for Washington.

It is worth mentioning that new Rams coach Sean McVay took over as Cousins' offensive coordinator in 2014. However, one name out of two dozen is a major problem.

If a quarterback can't reach at least 10.0% DVOA without pressure, he just might not be capable of starting in the NFL. Ambiguous Hollywood ending: Goff has a long way to go.

Washington QB Kirk Cousins was pretty bad once upon a time, but then McVay got his hands on him.

Not to give all the credit to McVay as Washington HC Jay Gruden probably has more to do with his turn around than McVay, but it would be naive to think McVay had no role.

Now, he gets the opportunity to show just how good he is at developing a QB with the Rams in Goff.

Technically speaking, Jared Goff was one of the worst quarterbacks to take the field in at least the last 15 years.

It didn’t matter what his circumstances was, because as this data supports, even when things where all right and set up for him to actually succeed, he failed to take advantage.

My benchmark for his progression has remained the same all offseason — Goff will improve, but it’s basically because he can’t really get any worse.

However, in no way am I expecting some miraculous turnaround and he suddenly becomes a Pro Bowl QB.

As I have said before, at best we should expect to see something similar to what Case Keenum gave as the starter.

The odd thing about all this, is Goff playing on the same level as Keenum did between 2015 and 2016, would qualify as a massive upgrade, and it’s an upgrade that any person should be happy to see.
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/6/21/15831168/la-rams-qb-jared-goff-2016

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I don't care what they say, I am giving the kid a mulligan. We all know the coaches and scheme he had were abysmal, no QB would have excelled.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care what they say, I am giving the kid a mulligan. We all know the coaches and scheme he had were abysmal, no QB would have excelled.
Yeah, I call BS..That Oline play was horrific. Goff will have a real chance this year while not running for his life.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I'm no fan of Goff and the guy did play terrible. It's not too much of a surprise to me because I knew that this is what we were gonna get when we drafted him. Now I'm anxious to see if he improved. I don't think our win loss record improves but I wanna see Goff making line calls and protections see him audible and recognize blitzes I want him to not fumble so much and to stop running into sacks. If he can do that then I think we win more games then we lose. So this preseason is big for Goff and I think that's why they are going with only 2 QBs they want to give them as many reps as possible to see what they have in Goff and Mannion

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
BS article. How many snaps di the OL play "good"? I can count them on one hand.

I hate the last month before TC. Garbage article after garbage article. Anything to get clicks.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Well I'm no fan of Goff and the guy did play terrible. It's not too much of a surprise to me because I knew that this is what we were gonna get when we drafted him. Now I'm anxious to see if he improved. I don't think our win loss record improves but I wanna see Goff making line calls and protections see him audible and recognize blitzes I want him to not fumble so much and to stop running into sacks. If he can do that then I think we win more games then we lose. So this preseason is big for Goff and I think that's why they are going with only 2 QBs they want to give them as many reps as possible to see what they have in Goff and Mannion
If he is sufficient (McVay system), then Goff has the translatable skills(top 10 QB) necessary to succeed at the next level. He has excellent pocket presence and excels throwing to all levels.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, I call BS..That Oline play was horrific. Goff will have a real chance this year while not running for his life.
Everything looked horrific from the tapes I've made and rewatched.

O Line stunk overall.

Gurley having issues.

The play-calling stunk.

Nobody ever got on the same page with the new Offense.

Goff was not even ready.

Goff could have sued the Rams for non-support.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The ball catchers were either inexperienced or half-assed.

Too many drops at critical times.

Come to think of it golf could have sued for defamation of character.

How he gets all the heat he got I have no idea.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The other is that QB Case Keenum played in the same offense behind the same line with the same receivers and the same coaching staff...and the outcome was completely different.
Uhm...no.....and CK had the benefit of the 1st team reps.
I like CK, but this is just off.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
As of lately I been seeing a lot of articles that have been erroneous, especially towards the Rams in general. I think these articles aimed toward Goff is more of lighting a fire beneath the rear end, either do exceptional under this new regime or be gone. Regardless at this point whether or not CK QB'd and was the reason for the 4 wins the Rams got last season under the same coaches, OL whatever was probably do to luck. The wins were mostly due to the fact that we got a stellar Special Teams that kept us on the board. Other than that CK didn't "oooooooooo" or "ahhhhhhhh" much. This should be taken as a wake up call for Goff nevertheless. These negative articles should be motivation to whom it may concern. We will see though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet another fan who expects nothing from Goff.

tina-fey-eye-roll.jpg

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Misone is the worst writer at TST. I'd take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Not sure he considers that Fisher closed most of the playbook for him.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
How can you properly read a blitz package properly when you come to the line thinking....."Did I call the play right??" I mean seriously, this Kid had to learn 2 basic functions that most others don't as a rookie in the NFL. One... calling plays in the huddle. This one of course being the bigger of the 2. The lesser is being under center. We saw it in the preseason, and when he came in to take over for Keenum. That slowness and confusion. The guy had a LOT to process.

Honestly, I don't know how the kids career will pan out. I do think he will make a helluva better showing this year than last though.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I don't even go to TST anymore. I never get anything useful out of the sight that I can't get here or on Twitter. The messages on that site rival YouTube comments on videos.

I don't know how anyone expected Goff to look good when the offense was so simple and predictable to defend. Made SF's D look like the 85 Bears, with Keenum at the helm. This year people will be able to evaluate Goff much better with a full off season and camp with proper reps.

Zero

Pro Bowler
BS article. How many snaps di the OL play "good"? I can count them on one hand.

I hate the last month before TC. Garbage article after garbage article. Anything to get clicks.

Josh Webb who is Misone's partner on the Turf Show Times radio show, said during the Vinny Bonsignore Special that
" Running in Fishers offense is the fabric of Gurley's being."
That Fisher's offense after two years was so ingrained in Gurleys mind that he would not be able to adjust or succeed in McVay's offense.

So with that and other articles by misone,I am going to have to disagree with your "Anything to get clicks"
statement and lean more toward my "Aint got a clue about football" theory.:)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
read the FO article....
"It is time that we talked about Goff, a true Hollywood horror film. With or without pressure, his DVOA was the pits of 2016. Now the fact that he had the highest pressure rate of any quarterback since 2010 (40.4 percent) might draw him some sympathy, but let's consider the fact that teammate Case Keenum's rate was only 21.2 percent, ranked sixth in the league. The Rams had four offensive linemen play at least 893 snaps last year, so there was not a massive decline in talent and continuity when Goff took over. Defenses blitzed Goff more than Keenum, but there was not a huge difference. It is more likely that the rookie just got a bit confused at times, mixing up where the next pass-rusher was coming from with where the sun was going to set.

Before we bring the sun down on Goff, we do have to reiterate that the No. 1 overall pick was just a rookie, and even Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman once recovered from horrific rookie seasons to make the Hall of Fame. The Rams are likely not building a dynasty beneath our noses, but it is worth mentioning again: you can't fully dismiss a player after one struggling season.

However, one of the absolute best stats in judging whether or not a quarterback can cut it in this league is DVOA without pressure. Some crazy results can happen under pressure, but you expect the quarterback to do well when given a clean pocket from which to operate. This is where Goff's season -- and granted, it was seven starts on an offense that has been barren for years -- gets really scary. Since 2010, no quarterback had a worse DVOA without pressure than Goff's -45.2%. In fact, it was not even close.

HOW'D YOU PUT THAT CHART IN HERE @Florida_Ram ?????:thinking:

This is really discouraging. Peyton Manning knew it was time to retire after 2015. Curtis Painter (2011 Colts) and Jimmy Clausen (2010 Panthers) were so bad that their teams were able to draft Andrew Luck and Cam Newton with No. 1 overall picks. Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez will only get work this fall if Mike Glennon or Marcus Mariota are injured. Terrelle Pryor ended up converting to a wide receiver, and the Cardinals had a hell of a time bridging from Kurt Warner's retirement to the acquisition of Carson Palmer.

Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert may have started more than a dozen games each after their 2011 rookie seasons, but the Vikings and Jaguars moved on to draft Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles in 2014. Bortles might be on his last legs in Jacksonville too.

If we dropped the requirement to 100 passes, that would bring up a holy trio of awfulness in Ryan Lindley (2012 Cardinals), Tyler Palko (2011 Chiefs), and Caleb Hanie (2011 Bears). It also includes Kirk Cousins in his 2013 season, and he has at least made something of himself in these last two years for Washington. It is worth mentioning that new Rams coach Sean McVay took over as Cousins' offensive coordinator in 2014. However, one name out of two dozen is a major problem. If a quarterback can't reach at least 10.0% DVOA without pressure, he just might not be capable of starting in the NFL. Ambiguous Hollywood ending: Goff has a long way to go....."

The writer states, Goff, with NO PRESSURE scored lower than....Brady Quinn....he wasn't talking about his with pressure numbers...he was talking about when he had time.....they also note, more passes were dropped with Keenum. Calling writers names, or anything won't change their opinions. The only ones that can do that are McVay & GOFF. Under NO PRESSURE.....A few years ago, Ram fans basically killed Jim Everett for this...

I'm still waiting for all the "Goff is more pro ready" crowd to explain this...debate this...rationally....

I don't say he's a bust...but to be historically worse than any QB....much less be the #1 overall...and all the pressers with the he's getting better every day...I'd rather hear the cold honest truth...what did he look like yesterday? What did he do to fix it? We're fans...The one positive, at least Kirk Cousins was ONCE lowly rated in DVOA in 2013...so maybe McVay can work some magic....maybe.....hopefully.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It may be a BS article but until Goff shows competent QB play consistently on an NFL field, he'll be guilty until proven innocent in my eyes.

The kid was atrocious by many metrics last year.

I do hope he works out though. Kinda like how I hope my kid brings his grades up from a D to an B. I mean we got him a great tutor (Goff, not my kid, I don't have a kid, it's just an example guys... sheesh!)

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
As far as I'm concerned there wasn't much good on offense period. But it's over with and this is a new year and way different offense and improved OL and coaching. All we can do is wait and see.
I can't wait for these f' ers to eat crow.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley having issues

This is what I take issue with when talking about Goff. People give him all the leeway in the world from the oline to scheme to hell even Gurley. But when it comes to Gurley it's all on him @Soul Surfer not saying it's you but I don't like Goff at all but I'm not going to lay the blame solely on him like some people do to Gurley.