Goff looked really good today.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess not when you use the term "not really", that way you can insult someone and at the same time say, I didn't mean it....
I never insulted you or anybody else. I made a sarcastic comment. Now if that is deemed as an insult then I understand the issue.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Goff better then when this thread was first made?...I assume he is getting better each day more than yesterday.
Haven't really seen anything new over the last couple of days but I'd imagine the recent comments are likely what we'll here for a while during the voluntary workout phase.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never insulted you or anybody else. I made a sarcastic comment. Now if that is deemed as an insult then I understand the issue.
But it wasn't sarcastic, you said that "everybody" says that
Make up your mind bro.
If you want to be a jerk, own it
Making comments like you did then trying to back out of it is a bad look

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Who's that?
https://the-big-bang-theory.com/characters.Sheldon/
Sheldon Cooper is a theoretical physicist at Caltech who lives with his best friend, Leonard Hofstadter. Sheldon is known for his brilliant mind but also his quirky behavior and idiosyncrasies. Sheldon has a hard time understanding sarcasm and is, with the exception of his close friends and girlfriend Amy, uncomfortable with most social situations. Sheldon is extremely logical, but this comes at a cost of often being rude of condescending to others. Although Sheldon's friends are often the subject of his put downs and narcissistic behavior, they have generally learned to live with Sheldon's quirks. Bernadette says that Sheldon doesn't know when he's being mean as "the part of his brain that should know is getting a wedgie from the rest of his brain".

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://the-big-bang-theory.com/characters.Sheldon/
Sheldon Cooper is a theoretical physicist at Caltech who lives with his best friend, Leonard Hofstadter. Sheldon is known for his brilliant mind but also his quirky behavior and idiosyncrasies. Sheldon has a hard time understanding sarcasm and is, with the exception of his close friends and girlfriend Amy, uncomfortable with most social situations. Sheldon is extremely logical, but this comes at a cost of often being rude of condescending to others. Although Sheldon's friends are often the subject of his put downs and narcissistic behavior, they have generally learned to live with Sheldon's quirks. Bernadette says that Sheldon doesn't know when he's being mean as "the part of his brain that should know is getting a wedgie from the rest of his brain".
Interesting, never seen the show though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it wasn't sarcastic, you said that "everybody" says that
Make up your mind bro.
If you want to be a jerk, own it
Making comments like you did then trying to back out of it is a bad look
I'm fine with what I said, it was sarcastic but in every joke and every sarcastic comment there is an element of truth. I know now over two forums and multiple comments you take offense when none was offered. I left the other site and I'll refrain from quoting you here it's no big deal to me. Life goes on and it will drag by in the football off season.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This is what makes the Goff argument ineffective. Because how can you blame Gurley a guy that actually produced results in this league and be more concerned about him then a rookie who looked more then lost. But Say that the receivers and scheme and the oline failed Goff. I could have sworn that Gurley played on the same team with the same scheme with the same oline. So how do Goff get a pass and not Gurley. Someone make it make sense to me because right now I rather give the pass to the guy that actually has done something other than you know the other guy
I will give it a shot. Playing RB in the NFL is one thing. We see low or undrafted JAGs come out of nowhere every year and reel off good seasons. Gurley had FIVE decent games his rookie year and everyone wanted to anoint him the second coming of AP. Last season, behind pretty much the same OL, he looked lethargic, missed wide open lanes and was not able to break arm tackles or push the pile with any consistency. THAT is concerning. THAT reminds some people of Trent Richardson.

Playing the QB position as a 21 year old kid with limited reps in a terrible, horizontal system and WRs with the dropsies is another thing entirely. A QB has infinitely more to learn and process in a game and less time to do it. THAT is why QBs are valued much higher than RBs. THAT is why it is so hard to find a franchise QB. To compare a RBs sophomore slump season to a younger QBs rookie season is to compare apples to oranges.

Scheme and coaching is paramount to a young QBs development. Goff was set up to fail last year. Everyone should know that by now. It is what Fisher does. Ignores the vertical game and slams RBs into the line over and over hoping to spring one. Gurley was not able to spring enough. 4-12 here we come.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will give it a shot. Playing RB in the NFL is one thing. We see low or undrafted JAGs come out of nowhere every year and reel off good seasons. Gurley had FIVE decent games his rookie year and everyone wanted to anoint him the second coming of AP. Last season, behind pretty much the same OL, he looked lethargic, missed wide open lanes and was not able to break arm tackles or push the pile with any consistency. THAT is concerning. THAT reminds some people of Trent Richardson.

That same OL was as crappy to Gurley as it was to Goff. Both guys suffered because of it. As for Gurley missing wide open lanes, I think a lot of people have overstated that, but I've already made my opinion known on that. I think the rest of the bold is also very much overstated.

Regardless, I think there's as much basis for believing in Gurley as there is for Goff.(arguably more) Gurley, like everyone else on offense last year, suffered due to the myriad of issues.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Playing the QB position as a 21 year old kid with limited reps in a terrible, horizontal system and WRs with the dropsies is another thing entirely. A QB has infinitely more to learn and process in a game and less time to do it. THAT is why QBs are valued much higher than RBs. THAT is why it is so hard to find a franchise QB. To compare a RBs sophomore slump season to a younger QBs rookie season is to compare apples to oranges.

Scheme and coaching is paramount to a young QBs development. Goff was set up to fail last year. Everyone should know that by now. It is what Fisher does. Ignores the vertical game and slams RBs into the line over and over hoping to spring one. Gurley was not able to spring enough. 4-12 here we come.

Goff ZERO decent games how many times have we seen a rookie QB come and at least put a decent fight in their first few starts. Austin Davis looked better than Goff. I'm tired of the excuses if we are going to be concerned about Gurley then don't be a hypocrite and act like what Goff did is just a learning curve, because I can say the same thing about Gurley, it was a learning curve for him too having to deal with all the issues on the offensive side of the ball.

Wide open lanes that's funny you don't average 1. Something yards BEFORE first contact with wide open lanes. The problem is you are magnifying his misses like they were present every game when we all know in reality they weren't.

Idk maybe you didn't see Gurley first 4 games of last year when he was running hard when he was being patient but then came week five and later when the offensive lineman was always on their ass getting pushed back into him. I don't blame Gurley for getting the yards that he could even if that meant him missing a hole cause he wasn't patient enough that offensive line did not inspire confidence

What did inspire confidence was Gurley ability to not turn the football over that has nothing to do with anyone but the ball carrier and that's something Goff was very disappointing in.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That's fine, I guess I just don't see the point of hand wringing over stuff like this. Personally, I want both of those G's to play better this year and get the Rams some wins for a change. I have stated it over and over...play the guys who give you the best chance to execute the game plan. Simple as that. If McVay decides those guys are Mannion and Malcolm Brown, then I am all in for them as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's fine, I guess I just don't see the point of hand wringing over stuff like this. Personally, I want both of those G's to play better this year and get the Rams some wins for a change. I have stated it over and over...play the guys who give you the best chance to execute the game plan. Simple as that. If McVay decides those guys are Mannion and Malcolm Brown, then I am all in for them as well.
And I think both Gs will. I really do think we have some nice pieces on offense but had a very poor plan and/or continuity. I also have to wonder how well our line coach and OCs fit together. I defended Fisher a lot over the years but that offense was just far worse than the players in it. The line and skill players never really seemed to be on the same page. It seemed that Fisher couldn't make up his mind what kind of offense he wanted to run and really needed a good OC that never materialized. And I also think that the offense made the defense look worse because offenses never had to become one dimensional as they were always in the game.

I think what we are going to see is a real offensive game plan and a defense run by a smarter man. Williams was a very good DC but more of a conniver. I'm thinking Son of a Bum will have more of a simple defense that relies on game planning for individual offenses.

I'm optimistic that getting the O-line and skill players on the same page as well as a little less predictability will pay off. IF we can get some signs of continuity out of the offense, I think it will only grow from there.

And I have faith in both Gs to get it done if they have anything more than a JV offensive game plan.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fine with what I said, it was sarcastic but in every joke and every sarcastic comment there is an element of truth. I know now over two forums and multiple comments you take offense when none was offered. I left the other site and I'll refrain from quoting you here it's no big deal to me. Life goes on and it will drag by in the football off season.
Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll-Thumb.gif