Goff looked really good today.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When a RB averages less then 2 yards before first contact that's the offensive line not the running back especially when he already starts out a yard or two behind the line of scrimmage so think about that. He averaged like 3.2 yards per rush but really it was more like 5 yards per rush because he had to fight just to get back to the line of scrimmage. So with better blocking his average would have been more then his rookie season. So no I'm definitely not concerned about Gurley

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So last season doesn't lend itself to any doubts? It was all Fisher's fault?

Until he plays a whole season at a high level, there will always be doubts. I suppose we'll have wait and see. But I have a feeling its going to take more than a season to quell those doubts. They're still trying to build the components around him. Right now there are just as many doubts there too.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Until he plays a whole season at a high level, there will always be doubts. I suppose we'll have wait and see. But I have a feeling its going to take more than a season to quell those doubts. They're still trying to build the components around him. Right now there are just as many doubts there too.

One thing for sure is that McVay will do a much better job masking Goff's current deficiencies while he develops as a viable starting QB. Also helps that he'll have a full offseason working with first team reps; Fisher did him no favors letting him play with the 2nd unit

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
This is what makes the Goff argument ineffective. Because how can you blame Gurley a guy that actually produced results in this league and be more concerned about him then a rookie who looked more then lost. But Say that the receivers and scheme and the oline failed Goff. I could have sworn that Gurley played on the same team with the same scheme with the same oline. So how do Goff get a pass and not Gurley. Someone make it make sense to me because right now I rather give the pass to the guy that actually has done something other than you know the other guy

First off I did not blame Gurley for anything. I like him and want him to succeed. What I said was that I am actually more concerned by what I saw from Gurley than what I saw from Goff as far as having long term success.

I do no think this makes the Goff argument ineffective if anything is strengthens the Goff argument.

Point 1: If a talented RB cannot find success in a bad system how can a rookie QB playing the hardest position on the field expect to succeed in a bad system.
Point 2: Great young running backs almost always finds success early in their careers where as young QB's almost always struggle to some degree because of the complexity of the position. There are many more examples of great young RB's having success on bad teams than Rookie QB's. Many great QB's in NFL history have struggled as rookies and early in their careers where as almost all of the great RB's find some of their greatest success in their first few years.

Last years Gurley was not good and I do attribute much of that to the system. However it makes me question if Gurley is an elite back because quite honestly I expect that an elite RB should be able to rise above the situation of being on a bad offense much more so than a rookie QB with no experience in a pro style system with a struggling ground game.

This is a multi layered concept though because if Goff were a veteran QB my expectations would be different.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First off I did not blame Gurley for anything. I like him and want him to succeed. What I said was that I am actually more concerned by what I saw from Gurley than what I saw from Goff as far as having long term success.

I do no think this makes the Goff argument ineffective if anything is strengthens the Goff argument.

Point 1: If a talented RB cannot find success in a bad system how can a rookie QB playing the hardest position on the field expect to succeed in a bad system.
Point 2: Great young running backs almost always finds success early in their careers where as young QB's almost always struggle to some degree because of the complexity of the position. There are many more examples of great young RB's having success on bad teams than Rookie QB's. Many great QB's in NFL history have struggled as rookies and early in their careers where as almost all of the great RB's find some of their greatest success in their first few years.

Last years Gurley was not good and I do attribute much of that to the system. However it makes me question if Gurley is an elite back because quite honestly I expect that an elite RB should be able to rise above the situation of being on a bad offense much more so than a rookie QB with no experience in a pro style system with a struggling ground game.

This is a multi layered concept though because if Goff were a veteran QB my expectations would be different.

It's not just you a lot of people put blame on Gurley for last year. But no that doesn't strengthen the arugument when you say Goff Didn't have this and Goff didn't have that. When the running back have to play with all those same pieces too.

I can use the Argument that Goff made Gurley ineffective because defenses wasn't afraid of him. I can say Goff let down the oline because he didn't know where to go with the ball. I can say Goff let down his receiv ra because he was either too afraid to throw the ball or waited to long to throw the ball.

In my opinion Gurley right now is an elite back. He got hit at the line or behind the line more then any other running back last year and how many fumbles did he loose. How many times was he actually tackled for a lost. In 1 game he had more yards after contact then he had rushing lol. That is an elite back on a terrible team.

Let's talk about all these Great QBs that we seem to wanna think Goff is going to be just because he is starting off bad. These great QBs had a very good to great offensive line had hall of fame receivers and hall of fame running backs.

If Goff had played even a little bit better if he showed opposing defensive coordinators that he could recognize a blitz or throw a deep pass that don't land out of bounds or don't fumble every time he got hit then Gurley would have performed better the team would have been better. So you saying you see more to worry about from Gurley then Goff makes me wonder

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am confident that we have our guy in Goff. The talent has never been in doubt for me. It's clear that the work ethic and leadership skills are there. I don't care about the media narrative. I firmly believe we have our franchise QB.
And I think we all hope that is the case.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I
It's not just you a lot of people put blame on Gurley for last year. But no that doesn't strengthen the arugument when you say Goff Didn't have this and Goff didn't have that. When the running back have to play with all those same pieces too.

I can use the Argument that Goff made Gurley ineffective because defenses wasn't afraid of him. I can say Goff let down the oline because he didn't know where to go with the ball. I can say Goff let down his receiv ra because he was either too afraid to throw the ball or waited to long to throw the ball.

In my opinion Gurley right now is an elite back. He got hit at the line or behind the line more then any other running back last year and how many fumbles did he loose. How many times was he actually tackled for a lost. In 1 game he had more yards after contact then he had rushing lol. That is an elite back on a terrible team.

Let's talk about all these Great QBs that we seem to wanna think Goff is going to be just because he is starting off bad. These great QBs had a very good to great offensive line had hall of fame receivers and hall of fame running backs.

If Goff had played even a little bit better if he showed opposing defensive coordinators that he could recognize a blitz or throw a deep pass that don't land out of bounds or don't fumble every time he got hit then Gurley would have performed better the team would have been better. So you saying you see more to worry about from Gurley then Goff makes me wonder

I blame Fisher and his system for last season's offensive mess. I do not Blame Gurley for last year anymore than I blame Goff. But it does sound like you do blame Goff while actually giving Gurley the pass. What I am simply trying to say is that of the two young talents, I would have actually expected more/better production from Gurley than Goff given their circumstances (By a Mile).

Gurley was struggling long before Goff entered the lineup so saying Goff was the reason for Gurley's struggles holds no water. I agree that Goff did not help Gurley but Gurley did not help out Goff either. Last season did not diminish my expiations of Goff but they did actually dim my expectations of Gurley. RB's have historically proven that they can be successful in such environs much more so than Rookie QB's. I still think Gurley has the ability to be a great back for the Rams but he looked bad at times even when he had opportunities/holes so that gives me pause.

Sure Goff missed opportunities too but a 2nd year RB exploiting a hole for big gain is much more instinctual and easer than a rookie QB reading a defense and then making he right throw in less time than it takes for someone to pick up their phone and speed dial a number.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I

I blame Fisher and his system for last season's offensive mess. I do not Blame Gurley for last year anymore than I blame Goff. But is does sound like you do blame Goff but actually give Gurley the pass. What I am simply trying to say is that of the two young talents, I would have actually expected more/better production from Gurley than Goff given their circumstances (By a Mile).

Gurley was struggling long before Goff entered the lineup so saying Goff was the reason for Gurley's struggles holds no water. I agree that Goff did no help Gurley but Gurley did not help out Goff either. Last season did not diminish my expiations of Goff but they did actually dim my expectations of Gurley. RB's have historically proven that they can be successful in such environs much more so than Rookie QB's. I still think Gurley has the ability to be a great back for the Rams but he looked bad at times even when he had opportunities/holes so that gives me pause.

Sure Goff missed opportunities too but a 2nd year RB exploiting a hole for big gain is much more instinctual and easer than a rookie QB reading a defense and then making he right throw in less time than it takes for someone to pick up their phone and speed dial a number.

I don't blame Goff because I never expected much out of him.

My views regarding Gurley is because he had so much success last year teams was keying on him. They wasn't worried about anyone else but Gurley and that all changed last year when teams wanted to Stop Gurley. When he is facing 9-10 guys in the box on every play yeah he is going to struggle but that's due more to the offense not capalizing on what the defense was doing and some of that is on Goff not audibling out of those run plays and going to a pass. You mention him missing a hole it was about 3-4 legitimate holes he missed all year no running back is perfect and is going to hit every hole every time especially when that running back is worried if he is even going to get the handoff before he is tackled.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
One thing for sure is that McVay will do a much better job masking Goff's current deficiencies while he develops as a viable starting QB. Also helps that he'll have a full offseason working with first team reps; Fisher did him no favors letting him play with the 2nd unit

That is what I've been saying all along. If you give up future assets to move all the way up to number one, that guy shoulda been your starter on that day. Saying he had to earn it was BS. This is the NFL. This being fair to Keenum was BS. If you didn't think he could start day one you don't give up a bevy of picks and draft him number one overall. Goff shoulda been running with the 1's from the start.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most people in this thread and the many others that pop up daily. It's fun people criticize his play and he looked worse or this or that. Of course nobody points out that he looked like most rookies and was given less and lesser coaching. It's ok though we only have 3 more months of people quoting half comments and taking things out of context. Gotta love this time of year.
Most people?
Find one who said anything remotely close to this:
"Truly shocking a #1 overall pick struggled in his first season. It's a shame he wasted all that excellent coaching and didn't put to better use getting all those first team reps. With an OLine chock full of hall of fame talent and a game plan designed to surpass the GSOT how could have not looked like an All Pro. With every body else on offense playing so well his game play truly was the low point of our playoff team. So disappointing to have the first rookie Aqaba to struggle especially surrounded by so much talent and such good coaching."
Talk about taking straw manning to the extreme

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most people?
Find one who said anything remotely close to this:
"Truly shocking a #1 overall pick struggled in his first season. It's a shame he wasted all that excellent coaching and didn't put to better use getting all those first team reps. With an OLine chock full of hall of fame talent and a game plan designed to surpass the GSOT how could have not looked like an All Pro. With every body else on offense playing so well his game play truly was the low point of our playoff team. So disappointing to have the first rookie Aqaba to struggle especially surrounded by so much talent and such good coaching."
Talk about taking straw manning to the extreme
It's all good just ignore my comment about it being kind of sarcastic but not really. Again sarcasm is hard to convey, of course I was taking complaints and negative comments to the extreme and being sarcastic about it. That probably why I included it as sarcastic. The but not really indicating that there is some truth to the sarcasm.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all good just ignore my comment about it being kind of sarcastic but not really. Again sarcasm is hard to convey, of course I was taking complaints and negative comments to the extreme and being sarcastic about it. That probably why I included it as sarcastic. The but not really indicating that there is some truth to the sarcasm.
Yeah it means you aren't being sarcastic....

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Is Goff better then when this thread was first made?...I assume he is getting better each day more than yesterday.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah it means you aren't being sarcastic....
Excellent glad you're able to tell me when I'm sarcastic and not. I should check in with you for my opinion and feelings more often.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Isn't sarcasm supposed to be blue font?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't sarcasm supposed to be blue font?
I guess not when you use the term "not really", that way you can insult someone and at the same time say, I didn't mean it....