Goff, Higbee Display Chemistry vs. Chargers (therams.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Goff, Higbee Display Chemistry vs. Chargers
By Myles Simmons

Quarterback Jared Goff and tight end Tyler Higbee are linked.

They're part of the same 2016 Rams' draft class. They've worked out plenty together, not just at Los Angeles' facility but also on their own. And they've roomed together in each of their two training camps.

Not to mention a tight end is always thought of as a young quarterback's security blanket.

So when Goff hit Higbee down the seam over a much smaller linbacker during 7-on-7 drills in Wednesday's practice with the Chargers, it seemed natural. Higbee's size and speed create matchup issues for defenses. Goff recognized the coverage and the matchup, and hit the tight end in stride for what was ostensibly a touchdown.

It's an example of the chemistry and timing both players have worked hard to develop. Goff called their partnership "great," noting how much time they'e spent together both on and off the field.

"It's good," Higbee said Wednesday. "The more reps, the more stuff you can get together, the better chance you have growing that chemistry."

"Anytime you can get out there and get those reps with the quarterback and get that timing down -- you look at guys like Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson, it's almost like automatic every time they hook up on the field," Higbee added. "So the better chemistry that I can have, that the other receivers can have in this offense, the more it'll help our offense."

Wednesday was the second time the Rams' offense had seen the Chargers' defense in the last five days, and as such the playbook seemed to open up a bit more. Both Goff and Higbee acknowledged there were more downfield passing attempts, with the seam-route connection between the two of them one of the successful plays.

"You've got a good idea of what they're doing now seeing them one time a few days ago, so yeah, we made some good plays on them," Goff said.

There was one downfield pass, however, that didn't quite work as planned. During a two-minute drill, Higbee was open down the left seam and Goff fired a strong pass to him. But it hit off the tight end's hands and fell incomplete.

Higbee was visibly frustrated with himself after the play, and said as much after practice.

"That's the offense -- whenever they call my number, whenever I'm getting open, he puts it there, I'm expecting myself and they expect me to make a play," Higbee said. "It's something I expect to have, and I'll fix it and get it better."

By and large, Higbee has been a reliable target for Goff from the offseason program into training camp. And with the way head coach Sean McVay tends to feature tight ends in his offense, he's primed for a significant production increase in his second season.

And that's something Goff will facilitate through the partnership between the two players.

"I'm excited to see what he can do this year," Goff said. "He's our starter this year, and expect him to do some big things."

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Goff-Higbee-Display-Chemistry-vs-Chargers/eee7b029-9211-4e36-a083-5bb4ff5fb887

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee was such a sure-handed guy in college. He's gotta get that figured out in the pros.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Tonight end is going to be a huge improvement this season . Fishers crew did not know how to develope offensive players and therefore goff and higbee struggled last season

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tonight end is going to be a huge improvement this season . Fishers crew did not know how to develope offensive players and therefore goff and higbee struggled last season

Right after a nice lob to Higbee for a TD.
The Rams went to him again during the armed zone. He looked like Lance Kendrick on that missed TD pass last year in the end zone.
Higbee then later missed another pass that was thrown on him that he should have caught for a 10 yard gain.

He has been inconsistent. Like he says they will get it right.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Higbee was such a sure-handed guy in college. He's gotta get that figured out in the pros.
He will.
He knows how important his position is on this team and he's pressing. The same with Goff .

A little success will go a long way towards confidence and those drops will turn into catches.

I have seen this before.

McVay's confidence will trickle down to the offensive staff and that will trickle down to the players.
This will work.

Like I have said, we will start to see glimpses of a working offense.
Those glimpses will become more common as the season progresses.

We will surprise some teams at the end of the season.
Success breeds success.
Probably next year before we see it click on a regular basis, however.

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
The Rams went to him again during the armed zone. He looked like Lance Kendrick on that missed TD pass last year in the end zone.
Higbee then later missed another pass that was thrown on him that he should have caught for a 10 yard gain.

How has he looked compared to Everett?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
"It's good," Higbee said Wednesday. "The more reps, the more stuff you can get together, the better chance you have growing that chemistry."

"Anytime you can get out there and get those reps with the quarterback and get that timing down -- you look at guys like Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson, it's almost like automatic every time they hook up on the field," Higbee added. "So the better chemistry that I can have, that the other receivers can have in this offense, the more it'll help our offense."

I think these guys are buying into the We not Me mentality.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How has he looked compared to Everett?

Everett has real good hands. Higbee is such a big target. Sometimes the drops are not totally Higbee's fault. I think Jared Goff stairs down the receiver, instead of looking him off. Sort of hangs them out to dry. Like P. Copper last season against Dallas when he caught hurt.
I think Gerald Everett is going to be a really good TE. He runs real good routes & catches almost everything.
Hemingway is really starting to flash as well. Waldron is doing a real good job with this group. I still think Corey Harkey makes the 53. He did a rep with the First team unit.
I think he is the first lead blocker to start the wall , or for the KR man Copper.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Drops happen but...this seems to be a theme with Higbee... I kinda think Hemingway and Everett have better hands anyway...

Ram65

Legend

He will.
He knows how important his position is on this team and he's pressing. The same with Goff .

A little success will go a long way towards confidence and those drops will turn into catches.

I have seen this before.

McVay's confidence will trickle down to the offensive staff and that will trickle down to the players.
This will work.

Like I have said, we will start to see glimpses of a working offense.
Those glimpses will become more common as the season progresses.

We will surprise some teams at the end of the season.
Success breeds success.
Probably next year before we see it click on a regular basis, however.

I'm concerned about the drops. I can't see the plays yet, the inconsistencies are worrisome. Sometimes players lose the confidence and don't get it back.

Everett has real good hands.

From college Youtube highlights they look soft and very natural. Can't wait to see him in action.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I was of that opinion too, but seeing him dropping the ones in practice whenever he had a guy on him shook my confidence a bit. The guys who seemed to do well even with guys on them have been Everett and Wilson.

Still have high expectations for him but yeah I am a bit concerned. He needs to make contested catches.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
seeing him dropping the ones in practice whenever he had a guy on him
Hmmmm, I still think the preseason game against Dallas, when some safety came up and blasted Higbee in the back after a catch has affected him....he just hasn't looked the same to me...not as aggressive.

jap

Legend
It would be sweet to see our TE position become one of reliability and effectiveness again. We haven't often had good to great production from that position on the Horns.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Everett has real good hands. Higbee is such a big target. Sometimes the drops are not totally Higbee's fault. I think Jared Goff stairs down the receiver, instead of looking him off. Sort of hangs them out to dry. Like P. Copper last season against Dallas when he caught hurt.
I think Gerald Everett is going to be a really good TE. He runs real good routes & catches almost everything.
Hemingway is really starting to flash as well. Waldron is doing a real good job with this group. I still think Corey Harkey makes the 53. He did a rep with the First team unit.
I think he is the first lead blocker to start the wall , or for the KR man Copper.

Nice! Man 3 big targets would definitely help Goff..i can't wait to see how Mcvay uses these guys .

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
images
img307189_meianoite.jpg
clock_fast_times_text_10762_medium.gif

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice! Man 3 big targets would definitely help Goff..i can't wait to see how Mcvay uses these guys .

Matt LaFluer I think really helps bring some nice designs to the table.

They have plays that can really pop when needed. I think they will find some good mismatches during games.

Should be fun just to watch what they do during the preseason. It will give Rams fans a better idea of what is to come.

--I was talking to a Rams fan while watching practice. He was a cool guy , but that said, he talked about McVay's weakness in Washington was Red zone TD's.
The Rams yesterday had a real hard time getting into the end zone. I'm sure pounding Gurley could of helped if in real game situation.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
--I was talking to a Rams fan while watching practice. He was a cool guy , but that said, he talked about McVay's weakness in Washington was Red zone TD's.
The Rams yesterday had a real hard time getting into the end zone. I'm sure pounding Gurley could of helped if in real game situation.
I watched most Redskin games last year and it was definitely a problem. He calls a LOT of corner fades down there...sometimes with the wrong personnel (DJax). It was a constant point of frustration with my (many) Redskin fan buddies.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Matt LaFluer I think really helps bring some nice designs to the table.

They have plays that can really pop when needed. I think they will find some good mismatches during games.

Should be fun just to watch what they do during the preseason. It will give Rams fans a better idea of what is to come.

Skins had small wrs and so do we .