Goff Has To Get Better Feeling Pocket Pressure!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for making my point in part of your post.

There's that "clock in the head" he seems to not have at times as well as peripheral vision...and that's what leads to sacks. If he really sees and feels those sacks, he would secure the ball!!! This is a fact some don't want to accept as an area to improve...and I conclude that it's because he doesn't feel the pressure.

Perhaps he will with time...and that's the good part...he has that time.

I think your conclusion is wrong. In this offense, we run a lot of longer-developing passing plays. Goff trusts his protection and will wait on plays. At times, it burns us. But usually, it results in chunk plays. I've watched Goff more than enough to know that his instincts in the pocket are phenomenal. Every QB will have plays where pressure gets there that they don't feel. That's simply the nature of the position.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think your conclusion is wrong. In this offense, we run a lot of longer-developing passing plays. Goff trusts his protection and will wait on plays. At times, it burns us. But usually, it results in chunk plays. I've watched Goff more than enough to know that his instincts in the pocket are phenomenal. Every QB will have plays where pressure gets there that they don't feel. That's simply the nature of the position.
Exactly, the alternative would be running when guys break open and not making all the great midrange passes he could be making.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We're just going to disagree here jrry32. Just as I expected, this topic has those who agree and those who disagree. I respect you perspective on this matter.

I think my conclusion is point on...and I've watched Goff consistently myself. I've concluded him to be an excellent QB... but that doesn't mean he is without some flaws. I never said he has no pocket presence...he couldn't do as well as he's doing without that.

Sure, there are times when QBs aren't going to feel the pressure, which leads to "blindside sacks".The fact that Goff trust his OLine is not without merit because the Rams have the top rated offensive line. That in itself could be the reason for my point...too much trust in the OLine, despite pressure coming. Goff is not in the top 5 QBs performing under pressure (which also can lead to different conclusions)...and I'll point to this PFF ranking:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-best-quarterbacks-under-pressure

RamWoodie

Legend
Goff wearing gloves worries me.
The glove issue is the last of my worries given the gloves of today. Better grip feel and able to protect from cold. I'm more concerned that Goff be sharp...because he wasn't last week.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The glove issue is the last of my worries given the gloves of today. Better grip feel and able to protect from cold. I'm more concerned that Goff be sharp...because he wasn't last week.
I think the glove thing is worrisome because he wasn't sharp when he wore gloves in Denver.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think the glove thing is worrisome because he wasn't sharp when he wore gloves in Denver.
Is it the gloves or Denver's D and the elements? Denver has a good pass rush and solid coverage, add in cold and wind you get a situation where most QBs are going to struggle. Goff is wearing the gloves because he believes it will help him, either he's wrong and observers like us are right or he'd be worse without them in the cold.

RamWoodie

Legend
Understood...but the team wasn't sharp against Denver either. Against Detroit Goff was missing guys that were open and throwing errant passes...something I think everyone was befuddled about.

He has to be sharp tonight because the opportunities will be there!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Is it the gloves or Denver's D and the elements? Denver has a good pass rush and solid coverage, add in cold and wind you get a situation where most QBs are going to struggle. Goff is wearing the gloves because he believes it will help him, either he's wrong and observers like us are right or he'd be terrible without them in the cold.
I think the missing open receivers with a clean pocket, led the belief that gloves might have had a little something to do with it. You know, we don't really know, it is all supposition, but with out a definitive answer as to whether or not the gloves might have contributed to the lack of sharpness, it seems reasonable to worry about it. At least until Goff throws for 350 yards 3 TDs and no interception.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Understood...but the team wasn't sharp against Denver either. Against Detroit Goff was missing guys that were open and throwing errant passes...something I think everyone was befuddled about.

He has to be sharp tonight because the opportunities will be there!
In the case of last week, I want to chock it up to a really hectic few weeks and a huge win before the bye and a huge relief. Don't forget he had to evacuate his house. Then just some sluggishness trying to get it back to where it was before the break. If the gloves don't cause a problem, we should get our old Goff back for tonight. This year he has showed up when the spotlight is on.

Ants

Starter
The guy is a superb passer, reads defenses nicely, and knows where to go with the ball.

He has been really good at everything except using his legs to escape the pressure. In many cases I think its because his focus downfield blinds him to where the pressure is.

I see it too often...3 times in the Lions game, where he clearly was too focused downfield and simply didn't feel the pressure.

I hope McVay is going over this with him...AND...that Goff himself sees this on tape.

We know he has very good mobility... but as I see it, he doesn't use it enough...and I think he's gonna need it against the Bears!

Totally agree. (y)

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Is it the gloves or Denver's D and the elements? Denver has a good pass rush and solid coverage, add in cold and wind you get a situation where most QBs are going to struggle. Goff is wearing the gloves because he believes it will help him, either he's wrong and observers like us are right or he'd be worse without them in the cold.

I thought it was the Denver scheme and elements.

Remember, Denver gave up Gurley’s career high on the ground.

I don’t follow the logic that a sluggish game against Detroit illustrates that Goff is in a permanently constant state of inability to escape pressure.

He can wear gloves whenever he wants as far as I’m concerned.

Go Rams!