Goff Final PFF Grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL....complete huh?
Great...offense didn't have it....Tampa had a lot to do with it.....But defense picked us up....complete team there.
We struggled against the best defenses in the NFL, which often happens, which was my point.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We struggled against the best defenses in the NFL, which often happens, which was my point.
Top offenses struggle....but don't get shut down....to me, we were shut down...at home. Inexcusable vs that Falcons team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Top offenses struggle....but don't get shut down....to me, we were shut down...at home. Inexcusable vs that Falcons team.
Very young team where the moment was too big. And we are a complete team, but need to better on defense and it appears that experience mattered.

So are you proposing that we fire everyone on the offense? Fire Pharoh Cooper?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you see those QB's drive their teams to victories yesterday Merl?

QB's won those games....defenses played a part...but new rules negate great defenses now....time to adjust.

Yeah the QBs certainly matter. But the way the Eagles' defense played yesterday if you had put Foles in there for Keenum he would've looked eerily similar. Vikes' secondary did not handle the injuries to their best CB and safety very well and had blown coverages all over the joint.

As to Brady, well, yeah, he's Brady. Dude is a great player.

I don't mean to take away from the QBs. But my point is the media makes it all about the QB and always have. While defenses playing lights out not only matters but tends to decide things. No QB looks good when he's being hit and hurried, and receivers are covered. I can show you some film of Brady lookin decidedly trailer-ish in fact.

When it comes to a top defense, you never know of course if they might let you down, it happens. It's just that the better the defense in points allowed the less that chance is.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
More so than the stats - and I know this is a tangential conversation - but I'm thoroughly impressed with Goff's improvement from the beginning of the season to the end. Throws like the interception at the end of the Washington game were eliminated, back-peddling in the pocket stopped (remember that!).

Whatever these stats are, I'm confident that the kid will take a step forward next season due to the work on improvement he showed this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yep.

As posted above, the Vikes' defense is a different unit without their top CB and safety. I give Foles credit for hitting wide open receivers and also making some really nice throws, but I'll bet you he goes from Joe Montana to Nick Foles vs a healthy Patriots secondary.

Even Brady isn't Brady if you pressure, hit him and cover his wideouts. He is a great player, no doubt about it. But the Jags' inability to continue answering, leading to that lull where the Pats made up the difference and eventually took the lead, is also a testament to the Patriots' defense tightening up.

Again, I just get tired of everything being all about the QBs. They're the biggest single factor as a player, but the other guys matter too, and in the playoffs defenses are absolutely crucial in shutting those QBs down and getting you through the playoff gauntlet.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yep.

As posted above, the Vikes' defense is a different unit without their top CB and safety. I give Foles credit for hitting wide open receivers and also making some really nice throws, but I'll bet you he goes from Joe Montana to Nick Foles vs a healthy Patriots secondary.

Even Brady isn't Brady if you pressure, hit him and cover his wideouts. He is a great player, no doubt about it. But the Jags' inability to continue answering, leading to that lull where the Pats made up the difference and eventually took the lead, is also a testament to the Patriots' defense tightening up.

Again, I just get tired of everything being all about the QBs. They're the biggest single factor as a player, but the other guys matter too, and in the playoffs defenses are absolutely crucial in shutting those QBs down and getting you through the playoff gauntlet.

I had read that Jacksonville had moved to playing more zone in the 2nd half and Brady just started picking them apart. You really have to pick your poison with him, play man all game and hope you don't give up the big play at some point. Mix man and zone but if he recognizes zone he'll eat you up underneath and on digs. The only thing I think teams definitely can't do is play straight zone against him. He'll absolutely destroy them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had read that Jacksonville had moved to playing more zone in the 2nd half and Brady just started picking them apart. You really have to pick your poison with him, play man all game and hope you don't give up the big play at some point. Mix man and zone but if he recognizes zone he'll eat you up underneath and on digs. The only thing I think teams definitely can't do is play straight zone against him. He'll absolutely destroy them.

What has consistently beaten Tom Brady in the past is pressure, hits, and sacks. You gotta get to him. The Jags didn't do that nearly well enough to upset them in their house. Tom's losses to the Broncos the other year, and to the Giants, all had that in common.

On the other side of the ball, the way the Jags' offense has been rolling, it was a masterful job by Belichick to turn the tides and tighten up that defense enough to allow Tom to be a hero. Just a week ago vs the Steelers every time they got something good done the Jags rolled down the field and scored again.

The Super Bowl is going to be interesting. For the Eagles they have a defense playing so well that they might be able to hit and hurry Brady enough to limit him. Question for me is whether the Eagles can run the ball behind that great OL of theirs. If they do, we might have a good game on our hands.

Ram65

Legend
The Super Bowl is going to be interesting. For the Eagles they have a defense playing so well that they might be able to hit and hurry Brady enough to limit him. Question for me is whether the Eagles can run the ball behind that great OL of theirs. If they do, we might have a good game on our hands.

It will be interesting to see how the Patsies defense the Eagles. The Vikings could not stop the slant pass on the RPO. The Eagles seem to be able to run on everybody. NE has to stop the passing game even if Eagles run is successful.

One thing that stands out for the Eagles is they have a deep defensive line. Unlike the Jags they aren't going to be tired in the fourth quarter. Can Brady avoid the pass rush to make the plays?

bluecoconuts

Legend
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712100ram.htm
307 yards total offense....garbage in my opinion. Compared to the league leading juggernaut we'd come to expect.

The Eagles ran 83 plays for 455 yards. That's about 5.48 yards per play on average. Pretty good.

The Rams ran 42 plays for 307 yards. That's about 7.30 yards per play on average. Quite a bit better.

The Eagles rushed 32 times for 139 yards, that's an average of 4.32 yards per rush.

The Rams rushed 16 times for 109 yards, that's an average of 6.81 yards per rush.

Wentz threw the ball 41 times and had 23 completions for 291 yards. That's a 56% completion percentage and a average of 12.65 yards per completion.

Goff threw the ball 26 times and had 16 completions for 199 yards. That's a 61% completion percentage and an average of 12.43 yards per completion.

The Rams had the better offense that day, the Eagles just ran more plays. Significantly more plays. And given that a fair number of those plays came off of some questionable calls from the refs, that's probably more the difference than anything else.

nighttrain

Legend
The Eagles ran 83 plays for 455 yards. That's about 5.48 yards per play on average. Pretty good.

The Rams ran 42 plays for 307 yards. That's about 7.30 yards per play on average. Quite a bit better.

The Eagles rushed 32 times for 139 yards, that's an average of 4.32 yards per rush.

The Rams rushed 16 times for 109 yards, that's an average of 6.81 yards per rush.

Wentz threw the ball 41 times and had 23 completions for 291 yards. That's a 56% completion percentage and a average of 12.65 yards per completion.

Goff threw the ball 26 times and had 16 completions for 199 yards. That's a 61% completion percentage and an average of 12.43 yards per completion.

The Rams had the better offense that day, the Eagles just ran more plays. Significantly more plays. And given that a fair number of those plays came off of some questionable calls from the refs, that's probably more the difference than anything else.
add the fumbles by Cooper

bluecoconuts

Legend
add the fumbles by Cooper

Cooper didn't fumble in the Eagles game, you had Goff on the blindside sack, and then Austin when he basically just lateraled to an Eagles player for whatever reason at the end. Which they should have had an entire minute to march down the field if not for those bullshit ass refs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was/is a mistake....in the respect that Watkins should be the #1....and if he's (Woods) the number 1....gotta get in the endzone with all those targets.....and Watkins should be the 1a or 2....with the 2nd most targets....

You earn #1 status; you don't get gifted it. Woods earned it. He posted 9 catches for 142 yards. They went to Watkins twice at the end of the game with the game on the line, and Watkins didn't make the play. At some point, you need to stop valuing athletic ability over football ability. Watkins is a great talent, but he wasn't our top WR in 2017. I hope he becomes that in 2018, but Robert Woods won't give it up without a fight.

him.....made other QB's....others step up?? I leave that alone....don't agree. Marty did win....a little...never the BIG one.....Bruce is Bruce....great with Great QB's....Good with Good ones....garbage with garbage. Whisenhunt's done well??? Where?

Arizona with Kurt Warner and San Diego with Philip Rivers (Whisenhunt). Arians has done well with just about anything he's been given. Arizona won often enough even when Palmer was hurt. Marty won everywhere, and he didn't win "a little." He didn't win a SB, but he won with every team.

As for Belichick, I'm not sure what's debatable here. He went 11-5 with Matt Cassel and 3-1 with Garoppolo and Brissett. Once he got that system running in NE, he's been able to plug QBs in and do well. Obviously, Brady is in a league of his own, but they've done well enough without him.

I still remember a young Tom...vs a good Rams defense...hell, almost great....going down for the game winning fg....painful at the time....4th quarter heroics....he had IT then...pinpoint passes...downfield throws...in the clutch...tom had IT.

I remember Tom dinking and dunking his way to a FG and getting bailed out on what should have been an intentional grounding call. As I recall, he had less than 150 yards passing in that Super Bowl.

Marriota....and...wait for it...won there FIRST ever playoff game....hell, Blake almost won his first 3.....

The Jaguars won Bortles's first playoff game 10-3. Try again. Mariota is a year older than Goff. We'll see what Goff does next year. Guess who else won his first playoff game? Mark Sanchez. Guess who didn't? Peyton Manning. This is a bad argument.

Wait until Deshaun Watson plays in his first....

oh yeah, Dan Marino won his first playoff game too....so did....wait for it...

Pat Haden....LOLOLOL

We'll see what Watson does when he gets there. Dan Marino LOST his first playoff game, dude. He lost to the Seahawks and Dave Krieg.

I thought the plays...passing plays....were scouted out...and well defensed....it was stupid to run a screen in the first drive....almost got Gurley blown up......he was dropping passes....but his head was always looking up...like he was expecting to get hit....silly play calls....every single screen...

Dude, that screen play-call was brilliant. What are you talking about? The problem was that Saffold and Gurley ended up in the same spot. Goff tried to put it out in front, but Gurley couldn't get to it due to traffic. The Falcons had only one guy who could make the tackle there, Deion Jones, and the Rams had two guys to block him (Saffold and Sullivan). Sullivan actually got his hands on Jones. If that pass had been completed, Gurley might have housed it depending on the blocking from our receivers. If Watkins held his block, it would have been Gurley in the open-field versus only Atlanta's safety. At minimum, it would have been a 15-20 yard gain. Atlanta's only chance on that play was Jones beating Saffold and Sullivan or Dontari Poe running Gurley down.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
@MrRiceGuyRJ

This was/is a mistake....in the respect that Watkins should be the #1....and if he's (Woods) the number 1....gotta get in the endzone with all those targets...

I guess that makes Julio Jones a bad WR, 149 targets and a grand total of 3 touchdowns. What a failure as a # wr. Yeah he caught one in the playoffs, on 26 targets.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams had the better offense that day, the Eagles just ran more plays. Significantly more plays.

Agreed. Rams had the better offense but their defense came up a bit short and looked gassed at the end, when Foles came in and got some payback. Keep saying it: Rams need to improve on defense this offseason. Better edge rush and contain is required, better tackling from the interior LB positions required, better run play on the interior of the DL is required, and better ability to play the ball at the CB position is required for us to be an elite defense.

Oh and re: the playin the ball at CB thing... More and more with the game-changing PI calls, not to mention the way Wade calls this defense, we gotta get guys in here who have that natural ball awareness. I like Web, but he lacks that. Hill, on the other hand, has a chance in this defense because he has it. But they need to draft a good young CB this year who can break on the ball and make plays, someone who knows how to play the MFing ball in flight but also be in the right position.

Dude, that screen play-call was brilliant. What are you talking about? The problem was that Saffold and Gurley ended up in the same spot. Goff tried to put it out in front, but Gurley couldn't get to it due to traffic. The Falcons had only one guy who could make the tackle there, Deion Jones, and the Rams had two guys to block him (Saffold and Sullivan). Sullivan actually got his hands on Jones. If that pass had been completed, Gurley might have housed it depending on the blocking from our receivers. If Watkins held his block, it would have been Gurley in the open-field versus only Atlanta's safety. At minimum, it would have been a 15-20 yard gain. Atlanta's only chance on that play was Jones beating Saffold and Sullivan or Dontari Poe running Gurley down.

Agreed Jrry. It's funny how easily fans disregard the fact that players need to execute. McVay always takes the blame at the press conferences, but more often than not his calls are good and some of the "bad calls" that fans list--to include that one--relate back to players not executing correctly or just being beat. Sometimes the other team wins snaps too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
New You earn #1 status; you don't get gifted it. Woods earned it. He posted 9 catches for 142 yards. They went to Watkins twice at the end of the game with the game on the line, and Watkins didn't make the play. At some point, you need to stop valuing athletic ability over football ability. Watkins is a great talent, but he wasn't our top WR in 2017. I hope he becomes that in 2018, but Robert Woods won't give it up without a fight.
I wouldn't count Cooper Kupp out of this Horse Race in 2018!!:D

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It will be interesting to see how the Patsies defense the Eagles.
Pretty sure they will make Foles beat them. They'll commit to stopping the run first. And, any time Foles drops back, they'll put the heat on him.

Interestingly, that's exactly what PHI needs to do... pressure Brady early and often. If I'm the pHI head coach, I do not care... I bring it on every down. It is the only proven way to beat Brady and NE. Give him time and he'll kill you... opponents really have no choice.

At some point, you need to stop valuing athletic ability over football ability.
Totally agree... it's kinda funny sometimes... like some players (especially WRs) get this "rep" that they are a "#1 Receiver"... even if they don't produce in line with that lofty title.

Watkins was not a #1 WR in 2017... compared to all his peers in the NFL? He was average at best.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Very young team where the moment was too big. And we are a complete team, but need to better on defense and it appears that experience mattered.

So are you proposing that we fire everyone on the offense? Fire Pharoh Cooper?
Upgrade....different than actual replacing...
Very young team...so was Jacksonville....I guess they needed the week off because of youth.

Yeah the QBs certainly matter. But the way the Eagles' defense played yesterday if you had put Foles in there for Keenum he would've looked eerily similar. Vikes' secondary did not handle the injuries to their best CB and safety very well and had blown coverages all over the joint.

As to Brady, well, yeah, he's Brady. Dude is a great player.
I'm sure there are a few other QB's that could have passed on the Eagles...
I was looking at his first INT in that one....the one were Long brushed his body....reminded me of Brady's throw...on 3rd and 18....same kinda contact, but the ball travels....
The Rams had the better offense that day, the Eagles just ran more plays.
You say tomatoes....I say to-MA-toes....
450+ yards to 300+ yards...average yards a play does matter...not in this instance...
300 yards of offense is a poor performance.
You earn #1 status; you don't get gifted it. Woods earned it. He posted 9 catches for 142 yards. They went to Watkins twice at the end of the game with the game on the line, and Watkins didn't make the play. At some point, you need to stop valuing athletic ability over football ability. Watkins is a great talent, but he wasn't our top WR in 2017. I hope he becomes that in 2018, but Robert Woods won't give it up without a fight.
Watkins has earned it....Woods is borrowing it....
#1 wr help win games...get in the endzone....not just stat stuff during a meaningless point of the game. Watkins is the better football player with better athletic attributes....That's just how the game is....you can have the smart, slow, non athletic types as your faves counselor...you won't be getting into the endzone much vs. faster defenses.
The Jaguars won Bortles's first playoff game 10-3. Try again. Mariota is a year older than Goff. We'll see what Goff does next year. Guess who else won his first playoff game? Mark Sanchez. Guess who didn't? Peyton Manning. This is a bad argument.
Blake almost won his first 3 games...he did win his first 2. You still think age has something to do with performance at this level, ehh? Mark Sanchez....Mark Sanchez could play a lil....

Curious....does all this change his final PFF grade?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor