Goff exceeding McVay's expectations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Jared Goff 'exceeding expectations' in McVay's offense
0ap1000000236552.jpg

Kevin Patra
Around the NFL

Wyche: Les Snead says Goff now understanding NFL defenses much better
At this time a year ago Jared Goff was a lost puppy.

During his rookie minicamp, the Los Angeles Rams' No. 1 overall pick struggled to understand verbiage of the play, move the offense in and out of the huddle, and get the play off on schedule
Battling the leap from college to the NFL, Goff struggled mightily in preseason action and began the year behind Case Keenum. When he was finally put on the field in regular season, Goff was a one-read quarterback fighting to control his own offense, let alone read the defense.

Flash forward to this offseason and Goff has apparently made big strides.

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reported on Tuesday's Up To The Minute Live that Rams GM Les Snead told him Goff returned this spring with a better grasp of what's expected of him as an NFL starter.

"The one thing (Snead) likes about Goff is Goff understood he had to understand the language and the alignments of the scheme," Wyche said. "So when they came up for their minicamp right before the draft, he said Goff was right on point. He said after the minicamp, coaches said (Goff) exceeded expectations. And to quote Snead, 'Last year he was a blank slate, now that is no longer the case. He understands what NFL offenses want, and more importantly, he understands what NFL defenses want to do.'"

The Rams' paint-by-numbers offense was the butt of league-wide jokes in 2016. Some of that had to do with the former coaching staff, some with an atrocious offensive line, some with a lack of playmakers, some with Todd Gurley's struggles, and some with Goff's difficulties making the transition.

With Sean McVay taking over, upgrades on the offensive line through free agency, and adding pass-catching targets in the draft, some of those problems should be in the past. Goff's leap in Year 2 could be the biggest boon of all.

According to Snead's assessment, Goff is on his way to putting the rookie struggles to bed and becoming the player L.A. believed it was mortgaging the future to obtain

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-11_5-12-59.gif
    upload_2017-5-11_5-12-59.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 128

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Saw this article. Lots of doubters on NFL.com comments, but I can see why. We'll see how preseason and the first few games go, and see if perceptions change.

The Colts game is huge as their secondary is young and could be succeptable to giving up a lot of points.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone counting on the Rams to have a winning season is deluding themselves. Way too many changes and unknowns. I like the way its going, but I don't expect a winning season til 2019. Its going to take time for this team to settle itself down and operate smoothly.

Not saying it can't happen, but I just don't expect it yet.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is not only on Sean McVay it's on @jrry32 I cannot wait to see the real Jared Goff this season, I expect Goff to showcase growth and for many of us to not worry about that position for the next several years.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect our defense to be good this year, even with all of the changes to a 3-4...and my God, how couldn't the offense be better over a Fisher offense? I don't think it's delusional to believe in significant improvement

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I feel pretty good about us going 8-8 or even 9-7 with a very good defense and an offense that has a proper functioning scheme and the Coaches to teach it.
Even if we have marginal talent on offense, simply knowing the plays and HOW to execute them will be more impactful than many might presume.

To be blunt, the 2016 Rams went 4-12 with great STs, a "top 10-ish" Defense and probably the most uninspired, undisciplined and ineffective offense I have ever seen. it

Shit, it's been 3 years since the Rams had a BAD NFL OC. Cignetti and Boras
we're not half the coach Brian Schottenheimer was... and he wasn't good enough.

A55VA6

Legend
Good to hear that Goff has progressed and now has a better understanding of NFL offenses and defenses. I expect him to improve greatly from last year, but I think it's going to take another year or so for him to really get going.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Yeah..... I think we will get Gurley and Goff going strong this year.... if Gurley does get going and Goff plays only as well as Wentz played last year... and if History holds ....Phillips defense will be no 1 in the first year....no reason to think we will not be MUCH MUCH better than last year...... big turn arounds happen every year.. why not us????.. we have a lot of pieces and a real good coaching staff.... with Arguably the best Defensive and Special Teams Courdinators in the NFL.... so I could easily see us finishing 11-5.... this season...it sure will exciting. ....;) I'd bet 1600 yds Rushing plus 14 tds for Gurley. ;) we will see.......

Go Rams........ ;)

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
A lot of Rams fans are forgetting a rather simple fact. We don't have to have an explosion of offense to win this year.
Heck, if we can just score about 7 points a game more than last year we could win at least 5 to 6 more games and might be understating my case.

iirc we average around 16 points per game last year. Look at what just 1 TD or even 2 more FGs could do. Guys we have the best DC in the game and one of the best ST coordinators. Coach Mac's offense just needs to score one more TD per game and we are there.....

Let's do it!

~ArkyRamsFan~

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
A lot of Rams fans are forgetting a rather simple fact. We don't have to have an explosion of offense to win this year.
Heck, if we can just score about 7 points a game more than last year we could win at least 5 to 6 more games and might be understating my case.

iirc we average around 16 points per game last year. Look at what just 1 TD or even 2 more FGs could do. Guys we have the best DC in the game and one of the best ST coordinators. Coach Mac's offense just needs to score one more TD per game and we are there.....

Let's do it!

~ArkyRamsFan~

Well we need to constantly have good field position so whether its Greg the leg or even Hekker that wins us games we need to put up some scores up on the board but I do prefer TD's when in red zone which will be our TE's or RB's making that happen...I am nervous and excited.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Goff better have progressed from last year. He is the biggest and most expensive piece in this puzzle so I expect a half way decent season from him this time around. A 22.9 QBR is a joke even for a rookie.

Ram65

Legend
Saw this article. Lots of doubters on NFL.com comments, but I can see why. We'll see how preseason and the first few games go, and see if perceptions change.

The Colts game is huge as their secondary is young and could be succeptable to giving up a lot of points.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...goff-exceeding-expectations-in-mcvays-offense

Wow lots doubters is right.

A good report is better than a bad report. Jared needs everyone to step up. The additions on the offensive line and new coach will be a big plus for Goff and Gurley. Gurley will have a nice bounce back year taking some pressure off of Goff. I expect the defense to be much improve. A healthy Quinn could make it one of the best.

Well we need to constantly have good field position so whether its Greg the leg or even Hekker that wins us games we need to put up some scores up on the board but I do prefer TD's when in red zone which will be our TE's or RB's making that happen...I am nervous and excited.

Special teams will also play a big part in helping Goff. Hekker can change field advantage every time he punts. Tavon can get the Rams good field position on punt returns. Jared is going to get much better support from the team. He gets lots of early reps he didn't get last year. Jared has to play smart and limit his mistakes while taking advantage the improvement of McVay's offense over last year's so called offense. Goff is in better place team wise to start winning games.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I take comments like this from coaches with 24 grains of salt...They ALL say stuff like this at this time of year...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is only thing that is deserving of less credibility than a new coach's perspective and opinion of his greatest asset.
It is the opinion of the public and critic's that haven't been in the meeting rooms or on the field.;)
Lets be honest last year was not great on offense...across the board BUT it is a little early to hang the "BUST" sign on the youngster I liked some of what I saw and had problems with some of what I saw but I believe there is something to work with

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I feel pretty good about us going 8-8 or even 9-7 with a very good defense and an offense that has a proper functioning scheme and the Coaches to teach it.
Even if we have marginal talent on offense, simply knowing the plays and HOW to execute them will be more impactful than many might presume.

To be blunt, the 2016 Rams went 4-12 with great STs, a "top 10-ish" Defense and probably the most uninspired, undisciplined and ineffective offense I have ever seen. it

crap, it's been 3 years since the Rams had a BAD NFL OC. Cignetti and Boras
we're not half the coach Brian Schottenheimer was... and he wasn't good enough.

Spags was pretty bad dude. Oops a little throw up in my mouth.

Just glad some solid pieces in place.

Deliisional ?? Shot like you say about the talent. Gurley & Goff back. Add to new O'lineman. Then GRob at RT & another year under his belt.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
To me this is mostly coach/GM speak.
From the time he was drafted, it was always clear that Goff would have a steep learning curve transitioning to the NFL.

That said if what it is true that after one mini-camp that Goff has exceeded expectations in McVay's offense, then the expectations could not be very high.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I always take off season comments like this with a pinch of salt even if I desperately hope they turn out to be true like in this case.

If Goff can't figure it out with all the coaches that have been hired specifically with him in mind, then he never will.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is going to be a stud. Screw the grain of salt comments. I'm happy to hear that he's worked hard to get the verbiage down, so he's ready to go immediately. The kid has all the ability in the world. I'm looking forward to the new staff putting it together and building a scheme around him.