Goff and Aaron Rogers and size-does it matter?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Freshman Goff: 6'x" 185, then by Junior year 6'4" and 205...and now around 215-220.
Sophmore: Rogers 6'2" 195.
Joe Montana was tiny---6'2" 205, but if you look at him next to Leroy Irvin, you realize he was 195 max....tiny legs....somehow Joe could play the game

Rogers was small as a sophomore, and so was Elway, if you saw him below the torso when he was coming up. Rogers was 5'10", 175 as a senior in high school....

This whole body size and arm strength thing is ridiculous
when it is given too much favor over other factores such as brains/processing, release and accuracy. What goes in to making someone a great QB is not how much they weigh---though it helps McNair and Cam et al, this I understand. I am so happy Wentz is big and has a strong arm. But, Romo barely had an NFL arm when he entered the league. Bernie Kosar is the WORST physical specimen I have ever watched play NFL QB (other than Cade McKnown), and Bernie went to 3 AFC champ games.

Goff has everything I want...and more than Jameis W and many, many others in the league.
Goff in 2017 will clean up!

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all about that extra .38 inches

b167143c66849729f592540e709a54c4.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i remember arod always used to get injured when he had to do some spot duty for the packers while backing up favre. not major injuries but 1 or 2 week types.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Why is this even an argument for some people? I'm 5'8 and can still chuck a football 50 yards. I mean, I don't get what hand size has to do with throwing a ball. Yeah it makes it easier to grip but by the time you're 21 you normally have a decent hand size to hold anything.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I think most people's concern (at least for me) was how body frame/weight relates to durability--little, small framed players are at an increased risk of getting hurt.

I feel markedly better after I read that post about how Goff has been able to add weight since his nutritionist figured out his protein absorption problem.

Imagine if Goff came into the combine at 235#. Analysts would have been freaking out.

Psycho_X

Legend
For some of us we're a little skittish about hand size after watching Tony "small hands" Banks fumble the football away every game it seemed like. It happened so much that the coaches tried different things to curb it and the media blamed it on his tiny hands and ran away with the story. So it scares those of us who watched the Tony Banks era.

But in reality it's all a person to person basis and really has no factor in anything. Hand size or person size. Obviously height is beneficial but size won't matter when a 300 pound lineman hits your knee or gets pushed into your knee. Really a lot of it just comes to how well a person can take a hit and more so how lucky they are. Some people just break easier. Some people have small hands but strong grips. In other words, measurable stats are mostly bullshit to me until it's a problem seen on the field during play. And nothing in Goff's career shows his measurables are a liability.

Ram Pat

Rookie
It is a factor , or NFL scouts ,GM's, media etc wouldn't talk about it. Goff is big enough, where my concern is that he get in weight room and build his QB functional strength. He is only 21. Hope to see the strength to make NFL window throws under duress when his feet aren't perfect. He isn't there yet, but has every chance to be. Being good with small hands is better than being bad with big hands.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not going to matter much. How many games if Goff realisticly going to play in a rainstorm during the course of a season? one, maybe two?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Freshman Goff: 6'x" 185, then by Junior year 6'4" and 205...and now around 215-220.
Joe Montana was tiny---6'2" 205, but if you look at him next to Leroy Irvin, you realize he was 195 max....tiny legs....somehow Joe could play the game

Rogers was small as a sophomore, and so was Elway, if you saw him below the torso when he was coming up. Rogers was 5'10", 175 as a senior in high school....

when it is given too much favor over other factores such as brains/processing, release and accuracy. What goes in to making someone a great QB is not how much they weigh---though it helps McNair and Cam et al, this I understand. I am so happy Wentz is big and has a strong arm. But, Romo barely had an NFL arm when he entered the league. Bernie Kosar is the WORST physical specimen I have ever watched play NFL QB (other than Cade McKnown), and Bernie went to 3 AFC champ games.

Goff has everything I want...and more than Jameis W and many, many others in the league.

Russell Wilson dropped due to size. I shouldn't even say dropped. He wasn't even considered a top QB despite having the mental acuity for the job........plus some other good traits.

Drew Brees is short but deals with it. Brady is unathletic but makes up for it with his ability to make quick decisions. Yes the size is nice, but not as necessary as NFL types seem to think.

Bottom line is that Fisher was onto Goff back in 2014. He loved him then and kept his eye on him. I love that he has been following him all this time and then was able to move up and get the guy he has wanted for the last two years.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not worried about the hand size, either...I forgot to mention that.....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think most people's concern (at least for me) was how body frame/weight relates to durability--little, small framed players are at an increased risk of getting hurt.

I feel markedly better after I read that post about how Goff has been able to add weight since his nutritionist figured out his protein absorption problem.

Imagine if Goff came into the combine at 235#. Analysts would have been freaking out.
I'm not worried about his Frame and size at all! Montana lasted a long time, and Brady has stood the test of time too. Goff will be fine!!(y);)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't understand the Joe Montana example. He was drafted in 1979. O lineman played at 250# back then

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Why is this even an argument for some people? I'm 5'8 and can still chuck a football 50 yards. I mean, I don't get what hand size has to do with throwing a ball. Yeah it makes it easier to grip but by the time you're 21 you normally have a decent hand size to hold anything.

Dude, those little nerf footballs don't count.

LOL, just kidding bro ;0

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Rodgers was NOT 5'10 as a sR. in H.S. That is false. His brother, Jordan was. Trust me ... I coached against and know from experience.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Um... Isn't that a back handed compliment? Kinda like - "you're good with that little thing"?
Probably more like a knock on the Gents who THINK they have something, and don't know how to use it! :LOL:
But you could be right too!!(y);)