Go get Martellus Bennett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
If the Rams are serious about winning this year, with this team, and if the Rams are serious about drops being unacceptable and intolerable, and if the Rams are serious about having a tight end who can actually contribute on offense, go trade for Martellus Bennett.

The Bears are in fire sale mode if media reports can be believed, and Bennett would step in here day one and be the #1 receiver on this team.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Agreed. We could really use him and he's probably available. He's great in the passing game and he's a good blocker as well. That's what I'd be looking for. We can upgrade on our TEs easily.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only guy I'd trade for is Jeffery.

As to TE, Cook's salary was frontloaded so I'm pretty sure they can dump him after this season if he doesn't pull his head out and start being more dependable game to game. He's being paid for that. So squeeze as much as you can from him and if necessary sit him and go with Kendricks/Harkey along with a run heavy look for the remainder of the season.

This upcoming draft they need to draft an impact receiving target. Either a wideout or a TE. I really wanted Maxx Williams last year and he went in the second round, in retrospect it would be so nice to have a young guy with upside to turn to. Oh well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm down with it. But has anyone done the math with regards to the salary cap?
And how long would it take for him to absorb (and execute) an entirely new playbook and scheme?

Easy enough to trade for him on Madden and get him instantly involved, but ...
This ain't Madden.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I'm down with it. But has anyone done the math with regards to the salary cap?
And how long would it take for him to absorb (and execute) an entirely new playbook and scheme?

Easy enough to trade for him on Madden and get him instantly involved, but ...
This ain't Madden.

Yea but our playbook is smaller than the one on madden ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea but our playbook is smaller than the one on madden ;)
FWIW, I made a custom playbook based on Martz's 1999 playbook. It took me over a week to design every single play in it.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Also, he's not exactly better than Cook is.

The guy had 9 drops last year, 2 more than Cook. and 6 two years before that, 2013 was a outlier for him where he only had two. In the exact same frame of reference as Cook:

2013-2015 so far:

Bennett - 10
Cook - 13

Also, we lost our minds over Cook shoving our 3rd string QB, so why are so many beating the drum of a guy who got mad he got popped in practice and body slammed the team's number one pick over it? Not seeing everyone's shine for him.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
FWIW, I made a custom playbook based on Martz's 1999 playbook. It took me over a week to design every single play in it.

It was great when you could actually draw up your own plays. I wish they still had that feature in it. They should allow to draw it up in the offseason and then install it in training camp. There could be a "familiarity" bar showing your teams and players cohesion to your scheme which grows as they get reps. Man I should design video games for a living...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

The guy had 9 drops last year, 2 more than Cook. and 6 two years before that, 2013 was a outlier for him where he only had two. In the exact same frame of reference as Cook:

2013-2015 so far:

Bennett - 10
Cook - 13

Also, we lost our minds over Cook shoving our 3rd string QB, so why are so many beating the drum of a guy who got mad he got popped in practice and body slammed the team's number one pick over it? Not seeing everyone's shine for him.

I agree. I don't really share the Cook hate. He's a talented playmaker - one of very few we have. His attitude gets people - and his lackluster (isnt strong enough a word really) effort when it comes to blocking. Then when he does drop a big one on 3rd down or for a TD it allows everyone to get on his back. If you're going to act like a thug and push your QB you better back it up on the field and Cook isn't consistent enough to do that.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Bears will gladly trade both for a 4th rd pick. ..If we take Cutler and his contract.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Has anyone checked on how much salary were already spending on Cook and Kendricks?
I still have some faith in Kendricks, but that is fading fast,

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Has anyone checked on how much salary were already spending on Cook and Kendricks?
I still have some faith in Kendricks, but that is fading fast,
More or less 53 million if you mean what we're paying them all together. If you mean their cap hits for this season then their total hits combined are 13,900,441$

Irish

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2013-2015 so far:

Bennett - 10
Cook - 13

Bennett 2013- 65 Receptions, 759 Yards, 5 TD
Cook 2013- 51 Receptions, 671 Yards, 5 TD

Bennett 2014- 90 Receptions, 916 Yards, 6 TD
Cook 2014- 52 Receptions, 634 Yards, 3 TD

Bennett 2015- 13 Receptions, 118 Yards, 1 TD
Cook 2015- 11 Receptions, 139 Yards, 0 TD

Bennett's numbers DOMINATE Cooks. Its not even close. Those numbers lead the Rams in ANY category over the past 2+ years. On top of that, he has put up similar production with backup QBs, as Cutler hasn't exactly been the shining example of health in his Bears career.

You can have a problem with Bennett's injury history, or his attitude, those are fair, but his production is beyond reproach. The dude is a legit probowl talent (2014)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Bennett 2013- 65 Receptions, 759 Yards, 5 TD
Cook 2013- 51 Receptions, 671 Yards, 5 TD

Bennett 2014- 90 Receptions, 916 Yards, 6 TD
Cook 2014- 52 Receptions, 634 Yards, 3 TD

Bennett 2015- 13 Receptions, 118 Yards, 1 TD
Cook 2015- 11 Receptions, 139 Yards, 0 TD

Bennett's numbers DOMINATE Cooks. Its not even close. Those numbers lead the Rams in ANY category over the past 2+ years. On top of that, he has put up similar production with backup QBs, as Cutler hasn't exactly been the shining example of health in his Bears career.

You can have a problem with Bennett's injury history, or his attitude, those are fair, but his production is beyond reproach. The dude is a legit probowl talent (2014)
That's because Bennett had a radically better team to work with up until this point, and saying he's had backups throwing to him doesn't tell the full tale since McCown lit it up and earned himself a starting job from the effort, while Hill is a perennial back up and Davis is off being the next 'savior' of the Browns. There's a talent disparity. Take him away from that and suddenly he's not all that better than Cook ala him on the shitty Cowboy teams and as a Giant. So it's not like he's magically making every QB look good when Romo and Manning couldn't do much with him. Also while Cutler hasn't been the pinnacle of health he hasn't exactly been Sam Bradford either. Out of the opportunity to play 96 games Cutler has played 82, 14 games over six seasons isn't exactly being away from him too long. The guy hasn't even missed half of his starts as a Bear. Bennett really doesn't miss Cutler much.

You can't just circumvent numbers and think that it'll be exactly the same. The guy is the same as Cook, lots of drops, lots attitude and a tendency to give up. I doubt he'll magically be any better on bad teams than he was before. Lets not forget that no more than two years ago this team was 10-6, that team was a lot better ran than ours til just recently when it wasn't in the process of getting blown up.

Nothing really proves to me that he'll come and be the savior this team needs because he looked good on a better team.