GM: 'I don't know' if I can trust NFL draft prospect Noah Spence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...if-i-can-trust-nfl-draft-prospect-noah-spence

INDIANAPOLIS -- Noah Spence's spectacular performance the week of the Reese's Senior Bowl made him a much hotter prospect for the 2016 NFL Draft, but his performance at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine has cooled things for the former Eastern Kentucky star.

Already facing difficult questions about his history with drugs, Spence ran a disappointing 4.80 40-yard dash on Sunday -- fast enough for a bigger defensive lineman, but not what NFL scouts would have hoped for from an edge rusher like Spence (6-foot-2, 254 pounds).
"Perhaps now we can stop the narrative that he's going to be a first-round pick," an NFL source told NFL Media's Kimberly Jones, with another adding he "didn't see anything special."

According to Jones, multiple clubs thought Spence's interviews were "very shaky." That doesn't bode well for a player who had to convince teams that his failed drug tests are behind him.

In other drills, Spence's 35-inch vertical jump was just a half-inch off the pace for his position (Oklahoma State's Emmanuel Ogbah, 35.5), but overall, Sunday was something of a momentum killer for Spence's evaluation.

"What kind of explosion does (Spence) have versus Khalil Mack, who lit it up here (at the combine), and Von Miller, who lit it up here, and then lit up the NFL? His 35-inch (vertical) was in the ballpark, but his broad jump hasn't been, and I thought his 40 was disappointing," said NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock on NFL Network. "4.8? I thought he'd be somewhere between 4.65 and 4.7. It will be interesting to see if he can improve that."

In a draft that is much deeper with defensive tackle prospects than edge rushers, Spence has a better chance to maintain first-round status because there is less draft competition for his role.

"When you look at the Super Bowl and (conference) championship games, it was pass rush. You have to have a pass rush, guys who can win one-on-one matchups. He's got that unique ability to win one-on-one matchups," an NFL general manager told Jones, who then asked if Spence is trustworthy.

"I don't know yet," the GM said.

More than likely, Spence will run again at Eastern Kentucky's pro day in hopes of improving his time. But with the EKU pro day scheduled for March 4, he doesn't have much time to train further.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In this particular draft with so much defensive talent? No way you take a shot on Spence early. Same deal with Nkemdiche. I would not touch either unless they slid a long ways and actually that might happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In this particular draft with so much defensive talent? No way you take a shot on Spence early. Same deal with Nkemdiche. I would not touch either unless they slid a long ways and actually that might happen.

I have been wondering where people would be willing to take a chance on Jaylon Smith. Seems that nerve damage is a big big question mark. One doctor said it could come back fine or not at all. What round would you take him?

I really think that in a case like this Smith should be allowed to forgo the draft or take himself out of it and when healed become a free agent.

One thing that I think is fishy though is suddenly several people are saying that Jaylon Smith would be their first player taken in the draft. This is a very safe no risk way of insuring they are not wrong. If he pans out but is not as dominant as they thought, they blame the injury. If he does fully heal they look very smart. If he never plays they are still correct because of the injury. No way to lose on that prognostication.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Smith is a great prospect but yeah... nerve damage means big slide for him. Not sure how far he'll slide, but he's gonna slide. Maybe round 3? Think it depends on what team docs tell the GMs I suppose.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...if-i-can-trust-nfl-draft-prospect-noah-spence
In a draft that is much deeper with defensive tackle prospects than edge rushers,

Perfect time to look long & hard @ these top DT's. Rams need to replaced Nick Fairley who is a UFA now plus we have NT Brockers in his final yr as a Ram. Better play this draft smart.Where they thick in numbers oozing with talent lets get one for a bargain price. Let this draft come to us make the best of what we have to work with & stay ahead of the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/DT

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perfect time to look long & hard @ these top DT's. Rams need to replaced Nick Fairley who is a UFA now plus we have NT Brockers in his final yr as a Ram. Better play this draft smart.Where they thick in numbers oozing with talent lets get one for a bargain price. Let this draft come to us make the best of what we have to work with & stay ahead of the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/DT

Mayock thinks that there could be good starting caliber DTs taken as far back as round 3. And, he said that there will be third round DTs this year that could be first rounders in other drafts. That is impressive. So if they want one, yes it would be a good time.