Glennon set to get $15M per from Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...glennon-eyes-chicago-as-preferred-destination

As the NFL glides into the first day of negotiations in free agency, one of the major dominoes could already have his preferred destination in mind.

According to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Mike Glennon has his eye on the Chicago Bears -- and the feeling is mutual. Rapoport added that Glennon is set to fetch between $14-15 million per year.

Rapoport added that "this is not a joke" in front of Glennon's projected salary, though most of the outrage about his contract comes from those outside the league. Glennon's projected deal has been high for quite some time thanks to another raise in the salary cap and the market dictated by former Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler. It's easier for fans to swallow once they understand that this is simply what a quarterback costs.

Should Glennon come to Chicago and start, his salary would be somewhere between the $7 million Cleveland owes Robert Griffin III and the $16 million being made by Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, a fine and completely reasonable number for Glennon, who has a season's worth of career starts under his belt (18 total), a good touchdown to interception ratio (30-15) and a completion percentage near 60.

Glennon would essentially be making a few million dollars more than Ryan Fitzpatrick did with the Jets a season ago.

It would not be surprising to see the Bears go all in this season. The Lions showed a season ago that the division is certainly for the taking with the right breaks and the Bears boast an impressive foundation along their offensive line and in the backfield. With a treasure trove of salary-cap space at their disposal, it sounds like locking down the quarterback will be project No. 1 once the window opens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This just seems insane to me. If I'm a GM I am drafting a MFing QB every couple years regardless of who is my starter. Take a page from Ron Wolf and always have one in development holy christ.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
This just seems insane to me. If I'm a GM I am drafting a MFing QB every couple years regardless of who is my starter. Take a page from Ron Wolf and always have one in development holy christ.
We're going to see a lot of reactions like this in the next couple of weeks.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
And I guarantee we still have Fisher in that scenario. :sick:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Glennon and 15 Million don't match
Right? Although...i'd rather overpay for Glennon than overpay for Osweiler.
I could have saved Houston alot of cheddar but strangely they didn't ask me. Brock had one good year in college...which is pretty much the ceiling for any QB prospect over 6'6"

Oh wait, Glennon is a tower too. Fools gold these guys.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glennon is better than Osweiler imo. He's capable of giving the Bears what Kyle Orton gave the Bills a couple years ago (and the Bills nearly made the playoffs). But $15 million per year for that? That's a lot. But the Bears do have tons of cap room, and they have to spend it.

Basically, I think Glennon is worth taking a shot on because I could see him being a starting caliber QB, but $15 million per year is a big risk. It will come down to how the deal is structured.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's a balancing act. If they go too short and Glennon plays like a top 15 QB and leads them to, say...9 wins a season and he's not the reason they aren't cracking the 10 win threshold, then after 2 years, they'll be faced with extending him at super high rates or losing him after year 3. So if he's projected to do well, you want to sign him to at least a 4 year deal.

The contrary position is to be moderate, only go the 3 year position in case he just flames out and take him at the moderate price ($15M is moderate in today's NFL) and simply let his play determine any future raises.

I dunno that either position is "right" per se. I do think that you don't bring in a guy expecting him to fail. Not that you sign everyone to long contracts, but especially with the QB, it would make one wonder...why get him at all if he wasn't worth a 4 year deal?

We'll see. It's decisions like that that make me happy I'm not an NFL GM.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This situation sort of reminds me of being left handed, and being able to throw a baseball... someone will pay you.

But nearly $15MM for Glennon? No way. He's too much projection for that kind of money.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This situation sort of reminds me of being left handed, and being able to throw a baseball... someone will pay you.

But nearly $15MM for Glennon? No way. He's too much projection for that kind of money.

Come on man .. What did The Rams pay Sam Bradford vs Jared Goff ??

This is a better system & Dude deserves to be paid. What about Kap,Ponder,Gabbert, & Jake Locker ?? If they all got rookie money before the strike ?? How much does that cost a franchise drafting a QB with ZERO NFL experience ??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Here's what I do if I'm in the Bears' shoes. The Bears will have around $63 million in cap room after cutting Jay Cutler. I basically have to use up most of that cap room. If Glennon is my guy, I give him the $15 million per year that I have to pay him. But here's how I do it:
2017: $8 million base salary (guaranteed) + $12 million roster bonus (guaranteed)
2018: $5 million base salary (guaranteed) + $5 million roster bonus (guaranteed)
2019: $12 million base salary + $3 million roster bonus
2020: $13 million base salary + $2 million roster bonus

In you do the math, that's 4 years $60 million with $30 million guaranteed. However, what makes this a good deal for the Bears is that they have tons of cap room in 2017. They have to spend most of it. They frontload the hell out of this contract and take a shot on Glennon. If the shot doesn't pan out, they can cut Glennon after 2018 with no dead money. In 2018, they basically pay him a little more than the top backup QB got (Chase Daniel). Considering Glennon's ability, that's actually pretty fair. At the same time, if Glennon pans out, after Year 1, they have him on a 3 year $40 million deal. That's a bargain for a starting QB.

Basically, it protects them from Glennon not panning out, it offers them a reward if he does, and it gives Glennon $30 million guaranteed over 2 years. It's a win-win for both sides.

Now, this deal only makes sense if you don't like the options in FA and the draft.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that while 15 mill seems high, Glennon has had this pay day coming since he played respectably as a rookie. What I don't understand is why Tampa never chose to parlay that into a trade. Winston started the last 2 years, why they didn't trade him and get a couple picks is mind boggling

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that while 15 mill seems high, Glennon has had this pay day coming since he played respectably as a rookie. What I don't understand is why Tampa never chose to parlay that into a trade. Winston started the last 2 years, why they didn't trade him and get a couple picks is mind boggling

Yea, it's pretty questionable. They've been waiting on that comp pick, I guess. But if they go spend in FA, they get no comp pick. It's a highly questionable strategy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Glennon and 15 Million don't match

15 Million not that much for a QB...Bottom tier of the NFL...Bears will still draft a QB in round two (Peterman) and if Glennon fails, they will go in that direction..

Psycho_X

Legend

If I was a GM I would draft a QB every single year some where along the way. Unless I was in a comfortable situation at starter and backup for the next three years and knew it. I see no shame in wasting a draft pick on a QB to roll the dice on every single year until you hit on at least one.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If you think that's expensive for a starting caliber NFL QB...

Try going through a season without one.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Based on what?

I'm following your logic. Just asking a follow up question.

Potential & position. They have no future Jay Cutler.

Glendon has started in The NFL. I'm sure his game film makes Da Bears believe that. $14 million for QB is cheap. The gives Da Bears cap space at other positions.

How much did Case Keenum make this last year ?? What did The Rams pay Nick Foles ??

Todd59

Rookie
What I don't understand is, isn't he only worth 15 million if 2 or more teams are interested in signing him? I've only heard his name connected with Chicago. Maybe I've missed something, but who else has he been connected to? Why not offer him 8 million? Maybe he takes it, or another team offers more. But to give a guy 15 million a year based on a potential when you're only bidding against yourself seems dumb.