Giving up on Bradford for Griffin would have been wrong

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
• Bernie Miklasz •
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 1b60a.html

504e216314df6.preview-620.jpg

The pending arrival of Robert Griffin III in St. Louis is causing a hullabaloo among Rams fans. Griffin will be at the Edward Jones Dome for one day only, attempting to dazzle the NFL by leading the Washington Redskins to their second consecutive victory.

And that's the problem. The impatient and irrational folks who already have given up on Rams quarterback Sam Bradford are mewling over the team's decision to trade the No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 draft to Washington. The Redskins coveted Griffin and were willing to give the Rams a bundle of draft choices for the rights to the No. 2 selection.

Griffin belongs to Washington, and the Redskins and their fans are deliriously happy. In his first NFL game last Sunday, Griffin had perhaps the most spectacular debut by a rookie quarterback in NFL history.

RG III completed 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards and two touchdowns. He scooted for 42 yards rushing. He did not throw an interception. He had a passer rating of 139.9. He hung 40 points on the New Orleans defense. Griffin did everything but break the political gridlock in the nation's capital. Not surprisingly, Griffin was named the NFC's offensive player of the week.

During his weekly guest spot on Sirius/XM radio, Hall of Fame coach John Madden took the hype to a Hall of Fame level in his rave review of Griffin's opening performance.

"At some point I have to admit that I said this, and it just came out. I said, 'RG III's the best player in the NFL today.' That's what I really thought," Madden said.

Griffin poses a considerable threat to the Rams' defense. And he can do significant damage to Bradford's profile in St. Louis.

The short-attention span crowd that now swoons over Griffin is forgetting at least three important points:

• No. 1, the Rams lost 65 of 80 games played from 2007-2011. The Rams' hideous roster was so devoid of talent at the end of 2011, the franchise should have applied for membership in the Canadian Football League.

To expedite a difficult rebuilding process, new Rams head coach Jeff Fisher needs better players, and lots of 'em. It made sense to move the No. 2 selection to D.C. for the sixth and 39th picks in the 2012 draft, and first-round choices in 2013 and 2014.

Rams GM Les Snead moved down in the first round in April to pick up an extra draft choice from Dallas. In the second round Snead made a deal with Chicago, sliding down five spots in exchange for the 150th pick overall. The series of maneuvers enabled the Rams to add four promising rookies to the 2012 roster: defensive tackle Michael Brockers, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, running back and kickoff returner Isaiah Pead and guard Rok Watkins. And they still have that extra first-round pick in 2013 and 2014.

• No. 2, the Rams had no desire to trade Bradford. But even if they did, it wouldn't matter because of salary-cap repercussions. Teams interested in acquiring Bradford would struggle (to put it mildly) to find room to accommodate Bradford's huge salary under the cap. On the other side, a Bradford trade would cause a severe salary-cap hit for the Rams, leaving the Rams with virtually no money to spend on free agents to upgrade the roster. This isn't your office Fantasy Football League. The real-world business of the NFL is more complex.

• No. 3, Bradford was the NFL's offensive rookie of the year in 2010, and I don't recall any Rams fans yapping to dump him after he led the Rams to a surprising 7-9 season and received universal praise for debut season.

Yes, 2011 was a disaster for Bradford and the Rams, but Johnny Unitas in his prime couldn't have saved that 2-14 season.

This is what confuses me: after watching how well Bradford played in the fairly calm environment of 2010, why would a rational person be in such a rush to cut ties with Bradford? He was snowed under by negatives in 2011, and I don't know what his most vociferous critics expected from him.

Because of the labor dispute, there was no offseason program or a normal training camp. Bradford had to learn a radically different offense in a short time, and he didn't have the basic benefit of working with a QB coach. Because the Rams didn't hire one, and that's incomprehensible.

Coordinator Josh McDaniels, who apparently confused the Rams with the Patriots, installed an overly ambitious passing attack that was a wrong match for the Rams' personnel. Bradford had a marginal group of receivers, then lost his best wideout, Danny Amendola, to a season-ending injury in the first game. The Rams couldn't protect Bradford, who was sacked 36 times and smacked repeatedly in 10 games. The incompetent coaching staff allowed Bradford to limp around on a bum ankle and be subjected to unnecessary punishment.

Let's see: awful coaching ... pedestrian receivers ... dangerously poor pass protection ... no QB coach ... operating a passing game that required the quarterback to take five or seven steps to set up behind a a faulty line, waiting (praying?) for plodding receivers to get open. Just an outstanding situation for Bradford. He should have played like Joe Montana! No excuses!

(Believe it or not there are people who actually can't understand why Bradford didn't put up numbers like, say, Dan Marino in 1984. These are the outer-limits personalities that put the tin-foil receptor on their heads, listening for signals from the UFO mother ship, so they will know what to say about Bradford when they call a sports-talk show or post a manifesto on the Internet.)

Given conditions that made it nearly impossible for success (and good health), a painfully frustrating season was inevitable for Bradford. Things certainly appear to be more stable and grounded under Fisher and new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. The Rams have implemented a common-sense offense, and Bradford should improve in 2012. It's fair to expect more from him.

That said, Bradford is running his third offense in three seasons. The offensive line is already getting beaten up with injuries. The Rams are remain short on playmakers; Bradford doesn't have an elite receiver. Snead and Fisher chose wideout Brian Quick with the valuable 33rd overall selection in the 2012 draft, but Quick played only three snaps against the Lions.

Sunday in Detroit, Bradford completed 68 percent of his throws and posted a passer rating of 105.1. Operating behind a line that lost two starters, he led the Rams to two go-ahead scores in the fourth quarter. With the game's outcome on the line, Bradford completed seven of nine passes for 104 yards and a touchdown for a fourth-quarter passer rating of 153.1. According to Pro Football Focus, Bradford was under pressure on 30 percent of his drop-backs to pass, but still had an accuracy rating of 66.7 percent.

Bradford missed some throws early, and the Rams can't afford to have him misfire when there's a chance to strike for a big play. Bradford wasn't always alert in sensing the pass rush. He still locks onto his primary receiver too often. He needs to get into a quicker rhythm and deliver the football without hesitation. Bradford still has plenty of work to do, and he will be held accountable.

I thought Bradford grew in the performance at Detroit. It's a good sign when a quarterback can overcome some early mistakes, a stuffed running game and a bogged-down offense to make his best plays in the fourth quarter when the game is up for grabs.

Bradford did that in the Motor City, and he'll have to show more progress as the season winds on. The Rams need a win Sunday. They need it for themselves, and their fans. But Bradford needs it, too. When the Redskins and Griffin come to town, Sam could be the most second-most popular quarterback in the building.

No, let's amend that. If Bradford struggles and the Rams lose, he'll be the third-most popular quarterback in the place, because the malcontents will be caterwauling for Rams rookie Austin Davis.

One more time: Yes, Bradford needs to play better. But the anti-Bradford sentiment isn't sane, or fair. It's premature, and often embarrassing. All Bradford can do is rise above the mob that's gathered for the RG III parade.

Read more: http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/vie ... z26MVQHCVe

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I can't give creedence to a position that either side of that argument makes, it will take 10 years to REALLY determine which side is more valid, for ALL we know both QB's fail miserably down the road or face each other repeatedly in NFC championships, can't be known.

I do think for my part we have given ourselves a hell of an opportunity to utilize the trade to build a team which couldn't have been built the same way HAD we traded Sam and drafted RG.
Intutively I think had we drafted RG we could have been having the same discussion 2 or 3 years down the road because we were not satisfying anxious fans WITH RG.

ALL I CAN say, is I THINK, we did the right thing because it gave a new coach SUCH an ability to mold and rebuild a team in the image he desired and that Sam is adequate to operate within the new team and we aught to be able to build a team that is less dependent upon a QB ,if we can get Sam to the right level IMO we have OUR Hershal Walker trade and Washington has a guy who plays ONE position in the ultimate team game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I guess I may be in the minority these days but I still think Sam will grow into being an elite QB - NOT just adequate. Sure adequate may be an acceptable descriptor right now but it doesn't often get you to the promise land. Sam will grow in a stable environment and begin to recognize where the rush is likely to come from and all the other subtleties that the elite QBs learn.

I also believe - and not just being a homer here - that Sam will have a far better CAREER than RG3.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Big Bern is $ on this one.

I have to make a confession...
I FLAMED a mother fucker due to this on another board today. Not my usual thing, but I have to admit,,, I liked it.

And for the record,,, I can be very fucking critical of Ram QBs.

You're not alone Stu.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
SMH ~~~~~~~~~

Bradford VS RGIII talk WTF!!!!

This is just STUPID BS. RGIII has one good game against a bad defense and he's in F'n Canton.
BRADFORD IS THE RAMS QB NOW AND IN THE FUTURE.

Someone needs to tickle my ass with a feather cause this is really pissing me off.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yamahopper said:
SMH ~~~~~~~~~

Bradford VS RGIII talk WTF!!!!

This is just STUPID BS. RGIII has one good game against a bad defense and he's in F'n Canton.
BRADFORD IS THE RAMS QB NOW AND IN THE FUTURE.

Someone needs to tickle my ass with a feather cause this is really pissing me off.

Sorry - fresh out of feathers.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Love my Rams and I think Bradford can be the cat's ass in the NFL, Fish just has to do right by him come the off-season. I honestly think they screwed the pooch by taking Brockers over DeCastro. I know--I know, time will tell, but I just really felt that the top rated o-lineman was a no brainer. Could Brockers be a great player, yes of course. DT just seemed like more of a luxury when your QB got beat to shit all season.
Two first round picks, I'd be a bit upset if it isn't OT and WR.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Warner4Prez said:
Love my Rams and I think Bradford can be the cat's ass in the NFL, Fish just has to do right by him come the off-season. I honestly think they screwed the pooch by taking Brockers over DeCastro. I know--I know, time will tell, but I just really felt that the top rated o-lineman was a no brainer. Could Brockers be a great player, yes of course. DT just seemed like more of a luxury when your QB got beat to shit all season.
Two first round picks, I'd be a bit upset if it isn't OT and WR.
I don't think we screwed the pooch in any case, but IMO, Brockers over Decastro is a no brainer. I could have made an argument for Cordy Glenn though. We are fine at the guard position minus injuries.

Iron Lion

Starter
Somewhere in a parallel universe, Bradford came out early and the Lions took him, and the Rams were sitting on the clock in '09 at #2 with Stafford on the board...

And then who knows, maybe RGIII still goes to the Skins.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Iron Lion said:
Somewhere in a parallel universe, Bradford came out early and the Lions took him, and the Rams were sitting on the clock in '09 at #2 with Stafford on the board...

And then who knows, maybe RGIII still goes to the Skins.

And they still take Smith and watch him go to the Jets a few years later.