Givens remains odd man out in WR rotation --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Givens remains odd man out in WR rotation

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_69f932f6-f637-5207-9ab9-44e486f42a09.html

Chris Givens led the Rams in receiving yards as a rookie in 2012, and finished second in 2013. But with the return of Stedman Bailey from NFL suspension and the return of Tavon Austin after missing 1 1/2 games with a knee injury, the speedster from Wake Forest has become odd man out in the Rams' wide receiver rotation.

Givens first learned he was not suiting up the morning of the Rams' game in Philadelphia.

"Yeah, I was surprised," Givens said recently. "It's a business _ these things happen. It was tough to deal with. Definitely it was a humbling experience. At the same time, it's bigger than me."

The Rams have remained committed to big receivers Brian Quick and Kenny Britt as their starters, with Tavon Austin as the No. 3 _ usually lining up in the slot.

That leaves Austin Pettis and Stedman Bailey coming off the bench rounding out the five wideouts the Rams are using on game day.

"It's difficult when you have to deactivate healthy players, especially someone like 'Give' that's been productive for us," coach Jeff Fisher said prior to the San Francisco game.

Besides getting Bailey and Austin back, the Rams have some depth at kickoff returner, a position where Givens has not excelled. Special teams needs have mandated the Rams use players at other positions on game-day rather than dressing six wide receivers.

"So, it just happened," Fisher said last week. "It's ever-changing. It may be a one-time thing; it may have to happen again. I don't know."

Givens was inactive again versus San Francisco, so unless there's an injury among the other wideouts he might be out of the rotation for a while. Pettis did not practice because of an ankle issue Wednesday, but was back on the field and a full practice participant Thursday.

"Honestly, all I've been told is to keep working hard, try and get on more special teams," Givens said. "And just continue to stay consistent. That's all I can really worry about. That's the only thing I can control."

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Shame that givens isn't being turned to at the moment.
However, I'm real happy with our WR group atm. Great mixture of elite speed, physicality, great routes and decent hands.
Tbh, I add cook to that as well, I feel he gets a raw deal on here. He's been ver productive and is a match up nightmare

69superbowl

Rookie
He returns kicks like his feet hurt, can't tackle and is a one dimensional wide receiver. Trade him to Seattle for a sack of coffee beans.