Givens looks for a wider role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Joe Lyons
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/givens-looks-for-a-wider-role/article_757c21e7-223e-5495-8eef-ea7822ec018d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... c018d.html</a>

20120930_lbm_af5_289.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Much of the Rams’ focus this offseason involved the addition of offensive weapons.

First came the free-agent signing of tight end Jared Cook, formerly of the Tennessee Titans. Then, in the draft, the Rams selected Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, a pair of productive big-play receivers from West Virginia University. The draft also yielded a power runner in Vanderbilt’s Zac Stacy.

The team also improved its offensive line with the additions of Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long via free agency from Miami and three-time national champion guard Barrett Jones from Alabama in the draft.

In a matter of months, the Rams were transformed from a team built around the power running game of Steven Jackson, a free agent who signed with the Atlanta Falcons, to an offense loaded with explosiveness.

Not forgotten but somewhat overshadowed by the Rams’ many offseason additions is second-year receiver Chris Givens, who came on strong after a slow start last year to catch 42 passes for a team-leading 698 yards and three touchdowns in 2012.

A fourth-round draft choice out of Wake Forest, Givens also led the team in kick returns, averaging 23.4 yards on 24 returns. And he set an NFL rookie record with five consecutive weeks with a 50-yard pass reception.

“That doesn’t bother me at all; all that’s going to do is help me not get doubled,’’ the 22-year-old Givens said when asked about being overlooked. “I really don’t pay attention to that too much. As a team, we know who we have and know who’s going to make plays, and I’m one of those guys. I’m just trying to come out here every day to get better.’’

Givens, who played at 6 feet and 198 pounds a year ago, spent the offseason working to get stronger “to be a better all-around football player.’’

Givens even referred to himself as one of the squad’s ‘older’ guys.

“I know that sounds kinda funny, but I like it,’’ he said. “With Steven gone and once we let Danny (Amendola) and Gibby (Brandon Gibson) go, the responsibility was on me to help fill that void and I’m going to do that and more.’’

In spite of his rookie success, Givens feels he has much more to give the Rams.

“To me, I only showed one aspect of my game and that was just the deep ball,’’ he said. “That’s all I was primarily used for last year. I excelled at it, but that’s only a small part of what I can do as a football player.’’

With a year under his belt, Givens said he is much more comfortable with all aspects of the offense as he prepares for the 2013 campaign.

“Last year, trying to make the transition, everything seems to moving fast all the time,’’ he said. “But now, everything’s slowed down for me. I know what I’m doing because I have a better understanding of the offense and I have a ton more confidence in my ability now.’’

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has definitely seen the difference and is excited to see Givens lining up in a variety of spots.

“I expect Chris to have a great year. He works extremely hard,’’ Bradford said. “Where last year he primarily played the ‘Z’ for us, now he’s also being asked to play inside. He’s being asked to go backside and play ‘X’. He’s a really, really smart football player; he understands our offense and I think by moving him to different spots in our offense, he’ll be able to run more routes.

“There’s only so many routes you can run from one position, but when you move him to two or three different spots, you can incorporate him in the whole offense.’’

Givens has also seen a different Bradford evolve during the recent workouts at Rams Park.

“He’s much more vocal, he’s stepping up to be more of a leader,’’ Givens said. “How he’s handling things in the huddle, off the field, in the film room. He’s way more confident and comfortable and you can see that growing every day.’’

Givens likes what he has seen in workouts, but he is even more excited to see the Rams’ new-look attack in action.

“It should be a lot of fun once we get everybody working together,’’ he said. “We have four or five, six receivers who can all make plays, and Jared Cooks provides another dimension to this offense, something we haven’t seen before. I really think we’re going to be tough to stop.’’

Joe is a St. Louis Post-Dispatch sportswriter.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I had to put money on one WR to surpass 1000yds in 2013... its Givens.

He really seems to have his head on straight and there is a lot of hunger in this young man.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram recognizing a dedication to excellence:

He really seems to have his head on straight and there is a lot of hunger in this young man.

This is a player that gets it. He realized he needed to bulk up to handle stuff in the middle of the field and he took care of it.

I like him a lot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:

This is a player that gets it. He realized he needed to bulk up to handle stuff in the middle of the field and he took care of it.

I like him a lot.

I'm with you.

I have to admit, though... when I heard he bulked up my first thought was; hamstring or leg muscle pull at some point this season.

Let's hope Isaac Bruce taught him how to care for the leg muscles.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram talked about his apprehension:

I'm with you.

I have to admit, though... when I heard he bulked up my first thought was; hamstring or leg muscle pull at some point this season.

I have a theory about that so brace yourself. :lol:

I think that the bigger you are, in terms of both bulk and height, the more susceptible you are to that kind of problem. I think it has a lot to do with the physics involved and the fact that tendons and the like have the same strength no matter how big the muscles are. You can't do anything about the strength of tendons. Tall players have leverage problems and big players have mass problems that the smaller guys don't have to contend with.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

I like him a lot.

I'm with you.

I'm gonna go out on a 'limb" here. Pun intended. I also have to point out the Sir Bruuuuce is one of my fav all time Rams. BUT..Bruces hammy had more to do with DV's working em so hard and in fairness DV learned..and Fisher knows how to not over work the players

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
EastRam overcoming his jealousy of my new sig line:

I'm gonna go out on a 'limb" here. Pun intended. I also have to point out the Sir Bruuuuce is one of my fav all time Rams. BUT..Bruces hammy had more to do with DV's working em so hard and in fairness DV learned..and Fisher knows how to not over work the players

Valid point. You rarely heard anything about his hammy in the last 2/3 of his career.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:

Valid point. You rarely heard anything about his hammy in the last 2/3 of his career.

I remember seeing Bruce at training camp with a rope for stretching. Did he stretch like that prior to his leg issues?

Could be the latter part of his career he learned how to deal with his muscle?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

I remember seeing Bruce at training camp with a rope for stretching. Did he stretch like that prior to his leg issues?

Could be the latter part of his career he learned how to deal with his muscle?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Isaac used to do an awful lot of work on his own before coming to TC. Then he had to deal with Dickie V's brand of torture. Eventually, after a year or two of hammy woes, Dickie V learned to have the WR coach monitor Isaac's workout to prevent him from overworking himself. That's when the hammy problems disappeared.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Love this STATEMENT:
“I know that sounds kinda funny, but I like it,’’ he said. “With Steven gone and once we let Danny (Amendola) and Gibby (Brandon Gibson) go, the responsibility was on me to help fill that void and I’m going to do that and more.’’ :gr:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jap outlining the correct timeline:
Isaac used to do an awful lot of work on his own before coming to TC. Then he had to deal with Dickie V's brand of torture. Eventually, after a year or two of hammy woes, Dickie V learned to have the WR coach monitor Isaac's workout to prevent him from overworking himself. That's when the hammy problems disappeared.

I wasn't paying that much attention back then but that certainly sounds plausible. :nice:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I love my fellow Rams fans. We read a great article about our fav 2nd year receiver and we're immediately worried about his hams. :D

Givens is the man. From 4th round over site to best in class.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
OnceARam giving me a once in a lifetime opportunity:
I love my fellow Rams fans.

Yhanks OnceARam! Thought I'd never find an excuse to use this Smiley.

I love us Ram fans too. :love: