Gilbert Has a Long Way to Go

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Now from the outset I was a proponent of the selection of Gilbert and some scouts (Gill Brandt) really liked him my biggest trepidation was how would he handle the big stage? He had his issues at Texas and then when he was rescued by June Jones at SMU did not fare well against major competition.

That being posted it was his first NFL game and I have confidence in him from a cerebral standpoint and I love the kids athleticism always have, but you could tell that Austin Davis had two years under his belt compared to Gilbert. In the end, if the Rams keep three QB's which because of last year I believe they will, I think because of Gilbert's ceiling he'll make the roster, but game one goes to the two year vet from Southern Mississippi and if the trend continues, it could end up like last year when the Rams wanted Davis as their number two,, but after preseason he was released because Clemens out played him and you know the rest of the story.

I thought Davis played better as well . Almost got a scolding and a time out for it.

Gilbert has the tools, but I'd Davis continues to show that he has a deeper understanding of the offense. Improves over the next couple of weeks. Well, we may see a situation where Davis wins out and Gilbert goes to the practice squad.

Gilbert will be a Ram this year somehow.

If Davis doesn't make the 53 as the 3rd qb, he's done here.

Davis could also lose if they don't have the room for a qb on the practice squad. I could see a situation where Davis plays better then Gilbert but they cut Davis because they are set on only keeping three QB's.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not trying to derail the thread or anything, but every time I read the title on the Rams page, this song keeps popping in my head.

I ran in to Jerry Reed once...
He was hammered drunk at a gas station in Branson Missouri. Like "I'm too drunk to open the door to the beer cooler while standing so I'll just plop down right in front of it till someone comes along and opens it for me" kinda drunk.
I love that dude.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Does Gilbert wear glasses?

Cuzz I saw him squinting A LOT out there.

Looks like he needs contacts.. I mean if you can't see....

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
No, smart ass! I'm not a coach but I have eyes and could clearly see Fisher coaching Shotty at the end of the game. Did you even watch it?
So just to clarify, Fisher was talking to Schotty which means he was telling him what plays to run? Nothing to do about formations, coverage's, personal, or taco Tuesday next week ? The only viable option is Fisher was handling all the play calling because he was talking to the OC? Please tell me your not a detective....

TXRams86

The Infamous
being from Texas, the Longhorns are near and dear to my heart.
watching Gilbert operating the offense at Texas often made me want to hurl.
granted, this was after the great Colt Mccoy had Texas fans high and with great expectations after his departure.
nonetheless, when i heard we drafted him i was happy.
big guy, a lot of heart, smart kid...admittedly never saw him play a game at SMU.
hope we keep him and help shape him into a quarterback capable of playing consistent at the NFL level.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Neither Gilbert nor Davis will take a snap for the Rams this year unless something awful happens. These games let us throw them into the fire and see how they react; how they practice and how the coaches see them evolving during the preseason will be indicators of whether they'll stick around to hold a clipboard all year. Sad to say for Davis, but physical upside is big, knowledge of the system not nearly so much.

IMO of course.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Neither Gilbert nor Davis will take a snap for the Rams this year unless something awful happens. These games let us throw them into the fire and see how they react; how they practice and how the coaches see them evolving during the preseason will be indicators of whether they'll stick around to hold a clipboard all year. Sad to say for Davis, but physical upside is big, knowledge of the system not nearly so much.

IMO of course.
i agree.
but in the event that we have to throw someone in, Gilbert's been there before.
Texas threw the poor kid in during the national championship against Bama after McCoy went out.

Davis has the benefit of being familiar with the playbook.
how much that matters in the eyes of the coaches, i don't know.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
i agree.
but in the event that we have to throw someone in, Gilbert's been there before.
Texas threw the poor kid in during the national championship against Bama after McCoy went out.

Davis has the benefit of being familiar with the playbook.
how much that matters in the eyes of the coaches, i don't know.
If it gets to that point, I'm pretty sure they can do like last season and snap Davis up off the street to start over Gilbert. But we're talking the worst worst-case scenario of them all. I'm fairly sure the Rams think Gilbert has more of a future as an NFL quarterback than Davis, and they'll keep him holding clipboards to make sure that future is with the Rams.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
So just to clarify, Fisher was talking to Schotty which means he was telling him what plays to run? Nothing to do about formations, coverage's, personal, or taco Tuesday next week ? The only viable option is Fisher was handling all the play calling because he was talking to the OC? Please tell me your not a detective....

Why yes I am! When I'm not coaching football from my computer!:LOL:;)