Gilbert Best QB in the 6th Round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So the Rams drafted Garrett “Gibby” Gilbert and of all the QB’s that were left in the 6th round IMO the Rams took the one with the most upside. Gilbert has the size and athleticism to be an NFL field general. He also possesses an arm that can make all the throws plus has the ability to run and keep the chains moving as he rushed for close to 300 yards last season.

It’s unfortunate the Rams did not have a 5th round selection because of the trade up to acquire LeMarcus Joyner which I applaud, but of course Aaron Murray and A.J. McCarron went in the 5th whereas if the Rams were the 49ers one of them would have dropped to the 6th. Overall I liked Gilbert over the likes of Connor Shaw and others just based on upside. Will he ever offer a challenge to Bradford? Well, maybe? However, the ability is there to be a bona fide back-up signal caller in the National Football League.

He faced adversity at Texas and was rescued by June Jones who has a great history with quarterbacks. Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will never be confused with June Jones, hell, some would debate that singer Tom Jones has more imagination than Schotty, but Ram QB coach Frank Cignetti will have his opportunity with the former Mustang and Gilbert unlike others that were remaining offers Ram fans some hope that for the first time in a very long time the triumvirate of Bradford, Hill & Gilbert give the St. Louis Rams the best depth they’ve had at Quarterback in a very long time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't help but wonder if this was their target all along?

I think they weren't planning to go very early for a QB from the beginning.

fearsomefour

Legend
I really liked that he played for June Jones, a pro coach that has a good track record with QBs.
Having two vets in front of him is a benefit. He can take at least one year behind Hill and really focus on learning with no expectations.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Honestly, the QB's selected late in the draft aren't that far behind the ones drafted in the first round, IMO. The theme is quantity in this draft at QB, IMO.

For example, if Savage was a shade better than he his then he'd be close to Bortles.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I assume that this will be the end of Davis, Thanks for the memories

MrMotes

Starter
I really liked that he played for June Jones, a pro coach that has a good track record with QBs.
Having two vets in front of him is a benefit. He can take at least one year behind Hill and really focus on learning with no expectations.

Have any of June Jones' college QB's made it in the pros?

Timmy Chang set practically every record there was to set at Hawaii but never really had any chance of making it in the NFL. Have any of his college QB's made it in the pros?

Memphis Ram

Legend

Timmy Chang set practically every record there was to set at Hawaii but never really had any chance of making it in the NFL. Have any of his college QB's made it in the pros?

This is the first one that I can recall that has good size and arm strength.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Who coached Neil Lomax? Same guy who coached Jones in college I think.

lockdnram21

Legend
yea he needs a year to sit behind Bradford and Hill. Then next year he should be ready to be the #2

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I remember watching an SMU game this year with Gilbert injured on the bench and the announcers on TV were talking about how he would be a great developmental QB in the NFL but I completely forgot about him since.

moklerman

Warner-phile
He's listed with good size but has a really low delivery. Sidearm passes aren't a deal breaker(Philip Rivers) but I'd much rather he took advantage of that size with an over the top release.

fearsomefour

Legend

Not that I can think of.
My point is he has worked in the NFL and is a pretty respected offensive/QB guy. Warren Moon, Peete, J George....he has worked with some pretty successful pro QBs and certainly would have a pretty good idea about how to evaluate/develop them.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm always a proponent of taking a QB in the 6th or 7th every year. If it doesn't work out, throw 'em onto the trash heap and try again next time.

You're not going to get many hits, but at that cost, it's well worth the investment each season to try to find the next diamond in the rough.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
0ap2000000337862.jpg

DALLAS -- Sometimes, even this deep into the NFL draft process, a prospect rises from seemingly out of nowhere. For me, that prospect this year is SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert.
Now, I liked Gilbert before his pro day on Friday at SMU -- thought he was an underrated player who should have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in February. But his pro-day performance confirmed my thoughts.
In front of three NFL quarterback coaches (Bill Musgrave of the Eagles, Wade Wilson of the Cowboys and the Ravens' Rick Dennison) and representatives from 22 different NFL teams, Garrett completed 87 of 88 passes, and would have completed them all if he had Calvin Johnson catching the back-shoulder fade that hit the ground.
He looks like a bigger version of his father Gale, who played 11 seasons in the NFL (Gale remains the only player to play on five straight Super Bowl teams) with the Seahawks, Bills and Chargers. Garrett Gilbert measured 6-foot-3 7/8 on Friday and weighed 221 pounds. He ran the 40 in 4.81 and 4.83 seconds, had a 29.5-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-9 broad jump, ran the short shuttle in 4.43 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.30 seconds.
It was a performance that will get him a lot of attention between now and the draft. Gilbert told me he has visits lined up already with the Panthers and Buccaneers. Expect that list to grow.

When all is said and done, I think he'll end up being a mid-round draft pick, maybe even as early as the third round.
One NFL scout at the workout, who was also at Brett Smith's pro day at Wyoming two weeks ago, told me he views Gilbert as a much better prospect than Smith. Many people thought Smith should have been invited to the combine.
Speaking of the combine, I thought Gilbert's workout was better than half of those who were in Indianapolis last month. He has good accuracy, very good velocity, and is a great athlete with NFL size.
A couple of things you have to remember about Gilbert, and perhaps a reason he has flown so far under the radar:
» 1. Despite not having a whole lot to work with at SMU, he had success. Only three other quarterbacks in the nation averaged more passing yards last year than him (one of them was Fresno State's Derek Carr), and in one five-game stretch in the second half of the season he threw for more than 2,000 yards and totaled 17 touchdowns with just one interception. He missed the final two games with a knee injury.

» 2. Gilbert was a five-star recruit at Texas, where he had a lackluster career, to say the least. He graduated in three years and transferred to SMU in 2012, hoping to resurrect his career under June Jones. There might not be a better quarterbacks coach than Jones, who has played or coached the position in college and the NFL since 1971. Thanks to Jones, Gilbert is a different quarterback than he was at Texas, and Jones believes he'll only get better in the NFL.
I think so, too. He'll surprise people with where some team takes him in the draft, and he'll surprise even more with his NFL production.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rts-strong-pro-day-will-boost-nfl-draft-stock