Gil Brandt's 11 toughest offensive players to bring down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Marshawn Lynch, Dez Bryant among 11 unstoppable players
By Gil Brandt/NFL Media senior analyst

It's almost too obvious to state, but few offensive players are more valuable than those who just cannot be stopped.

We've all seen it happen: A running back plows over a half dozen defenders to manufacture a game-breaking touchdown, or a receiver grabs a screen pass, jukes a handful of would-be tacklers and rockets 30 yards into the end zone.

The Seattle Seahawks famously rely on one such powerhouse to drive their offense in veteran running back Marshawn Lynch. Thanks to his decision to show up for minicamp -- rather than, as reports indicated he might, hold out or even retire -- the defending Super Bowl champs won't have to explore what life might be like without their human bulldozer. Pondering how significant Lynch's impact is on the field, I thought I'd compile a list of 11 of the NFL's toughest players to tackle.

Below you'll find five running backs (with a focus on broken/missed tackles) and six receivers (with a focus on yards after the catch) who are nearly impossible to bring down. Of course, this is by no means meant to be an exclusive list; it's merely a collection of some of the most imposing and elusive offensive players in the league.

RUNNING BACKS

LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles

McCoy has great feet and quickness and is very shifty and elusive, as evidenced by his ability to induce 53 missed tackles -- the most among running backs -- last season. He has excellent vision, and Chip Kelly's system is the perfect fit for his talents. Based on his 2013 campaign, in which he gained 2,146 total yards (1,607 rushing, 539 receiving) and scored 11 total touchdowns, McCoy belongs firmly in the discussion about the most unstoppable backs in the NFL.

Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings

Here's a tip: If you ever have a chance to meet Peterson, don't let him shake your hand, as he has the strongest, most vise-like grip you'll ever encounter. Stuck on a team with quarterback problems, he faced a lot of stacked boxes last season and still ran for 1,266 yards and 10 scores, collecting 43 missed tackles and breaking another 16 along the way. Just look at how many defenders were embarrassed on Peterson's first play from scrimmage in the 2013 season -- a 78-yard scoring run.

Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks

Lynch burst out of the gate last season, rumbling for 871 of his 1,257 yards in the first 10 weeks, but he seemed to slow down as the year wore on. His yards per carry also took a dip, dropping from 5.0 in 2012 to 4.2 in 2013. Still, Lynch tied for the league lead in broken tackles with 18 -- in addition to making tacklers miss 38 times -- proving he remains one of the toughest running backs to stop. In other words, Beast Mode most definitely lives.

DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys

Murray, whose career got off to an injury-interrupted start, had a breakout 2013 campaign, topping 1,000 yards for the first time and adding 10 total touchdowns. He even slightly edged McCoy in yards per carry (5.2 to 5.1). I like his receiving ability and the fact that he can make people whiff in the open field (28 missed tackles in 2013). His offensive line is much better than it was when he first arrived. If Dallas gives him the ball more in 2014, I think he'll surprise some people.

C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills

Spiller has moves (23 missed tackles in 2013). Given his exceptional vision and explosiveness -- the latter of which is reminiscent of Marshall Faulk in his prime -- he's a special talent as a runner and a receiver. Though he only logged 15-plus carries in six games last season, Spiller still managed to get within 67 yards of the 1,000-yard mark, bolstered by four runs of 40 yards or more. Significant lateral quickness makes him very difficult to bring down.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos

Thomas has very strong hands and great body control to go with long arms; at 6-foot-3 and 229 pounds, he's simply a big, strong player. He boasts really powerful legs, which he uses to make the first guy miss and then pull away from the second guy. It's little wonder that Thomas led receivers in yards after the catch last season with 718 -- which made up a whopping 50.2 percent of his total yardage (1,430).

Josh Gordon, Cleveland Browns

This guy is something else, his disappointing off-field issues aside. Despite being stuck with average-at-best quarterbacks in his first two NFL seasons, Gordon has averaged 17.9 yards per catch. His combination of height, weight, speed and strength make him a mismatch for opposing defenders. Like Jerry Rice, Gordon seems to run faster than his timed speed once the pads are on and he hits the field -- which contributed to his 641 yards after the catch last season, an average of 7.4 per grab.

I'd love to see Gordon and
Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman in a one-on-one passing drill; as good as Sherman is, I suspect Gordon would prevail. Unfortunately, Gordon might be stopped in 2014 by a suspension after a positive drug test -- maybe up to a full year, depending on how the disciplinary process plays out. That could really hamper his continued development, as it can be tough for players to stay in peak form when they spend an extended amount of time away from the action.

Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions

Johnson is, of course, a monster, but he doesn't do as well in yards after the catch (499 in 2013) as one might think. The reason for that is simple: He's often double- and triple-teamed. And while that tactic doesn't stop him from getting his hands on the ball -- as it would almost any other receiver -- it does tend to keep him from picking up extra yardage. Still, he has the makeup of a YAC terror; if offseason additions Golden Taint and Eric Ebron are able to take some defensive attention away in 2014, we could see Megatron do quite a bit more post-catch damage.

Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys

Bryant is another very strong-legged guy who does not often go down on first contact. He just pulls away from defenders; if you don't get him solidly as a tackler, say goodbye. Bryant is also a true competitor. Unlike those receivers who are content to slip out of bounds after making the catch, he'll always try to turn upfield and fight for additional yardage.

Keenan Allen, San Diego Chargers

The way he's built, the 6-2, 211-pound Allen almost looks more like a running back than a receiver. He has soft hands, long arms and exceptional strength. In his stellar rookie season, Allen averaged 14.7 yards per reception, with 438 of his 1,046 yards coming after the catch.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Minnesota Vikings

The second-year pro has great acceleration and outstanding quickness -- just a tough, athletic presence. He had just 45 receptions last season for 469 yards -- but a stunning 62.1 percent of those yards came after the catch (291). He's also a dynamic kick returner who averaged 32.4 yards a pop. Patterson, who played some running back at the junior college level, has a chance to be very special. I'll be interested to see what new Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner can do with this raw talent.

Follow Gil Brandt on Twitter @Gil_Brandt.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I would say Steven Jackson still belongs on that list, whether he's lost a step or not. Once he gets going, he's the absolute toughest guy to tackle. He can move the entire defense if he's mad enough.

jjab360

Legend
Zac Stacy belongs on this list, imo. I can't imagine how hard it would be to tackle that little fire hydrant/freight train hybrid.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski aren't easy to bring down either but no tight ends were included. DeMarco definitely belongs here.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I'd like to line up greg Robinson in the backfield taking hand offs up the gut.. Now that would be hard to bring down

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wonder if DeMarco Murray would be listed minus his games vs. the Rams.:whistle:

I would say Steven Jackson still belongs on that list, whether he's lost a step or not. Once he gets going, he's the absolute toughest guy to tackle. He can move the entire defense if he's mad enough.

He always seemed easy for defenders to trip IMO. But, the once he gets going part has always been the key with Jackson. Then again the same can be said for lot of players once they got going.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He always seemed easy for defenders to trip IMO. But, the once he gets going part has always been the key with Jackson. Then again the same can be said for lot of players once they got going.
You can trip him by his shoelaces in the backfield, but once he gets a head of steam, he can drag the entire 49ers defense with him for a first down, or push the entire Shehawks defense into the endzone.

Athos

Legend
I wonder if DeMarco Murray would be listed minus his games vs. the Rams.:whistle:

Was about to post that. Besides his wonder games against terrible Ram schemes, Murray was pretty much his same mediocre self last season. When he's healthy, Foster is as hard to bring down as anyone.

And QBs weren't included, but Big Ben still remains one of the toughest dudes to bring down period, even for elite DEs.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I'd like to line up greg Robinson in the backfield taking hand offs up the gut.. Now that would be hard to bring down

No, please don't make him into the next "Refrigerator", although it did work a memorable time for the Bears. ;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Marshawn Lynch, Dez Bryant among 11 unstoppable players
By Gil Brandt/NFL Media senior analyst

It's almost too obvious to state, but few offensive players are more valuable than those who just cannot be stopped.

We've all seen it happen: A running back plows over a half dozen defenders to manufacture a game-breaking touchdown, or a receiver grabs a screen pass, jukes a handful of would-be tacklers and rockets 30 yards into the end zone.

The Seattle Seahawks famously rely on one such powerhouse to drive their offense in veteran running back Marshawn Lynch. Thanks to his decision to show up for minicamp -- rather than, as reports indicated he might, hold out or even retire -- the defending Super Bowl champs won't have to explore what life might be like without their human bulldozer. Pondering how significant Lynch's impact is on the field, I thought I'd compile a list of 11 of the NFL's toughest players to tackle.

Below you'll find five running backs (with a focus on broken/missed tackles) and six receivers (with a focus on yards after the catch) who are nearly impossible to bring down. Of course, this is by no means meant to be an exclusive list; it's merely a collection of some of the most imposing and elusive offensive players in the league.

RUNNING BACKS

LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles

McCoy has great feet and quickness and is very shifty and elusive, as evidenced by his ability to induce 53 missed tackles -- the most among running backs -- last season. He has excellent vision, and Chip Kelly's system is the perfect fit for his talents. Based on his 2013 campaign, in which he gained 2,146 total yards (1,607 rushing, 539 receiving) and scored 11 total touchdowns, McCoy belongs firmly in the discussion about the most unstoppable backs in the NFL.

Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings

Here's a tip: If you ever have a chance to meet Peterson, don't let him shake your hand, as he has the strongest, most vise-like grip you'll ever encounter. Stuck on a team with quarterback problems, he faced a lot of stacked boxes last season and still ran for 1,266 yards and 10 scores, collecting 43 missed tackles and breaking another 16 along the way. Just look at how many defenders were embarrassed on Peterson's first play from scrimmage in the 2013 season -- a 78-yard scoring run.

Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks

Lynch burst out of the gate last season, rumbling for 871 of his 1,257 yards in the first 10 weeks, but he seemed to slow down as the year wore on. His yards per carry also took a dip, dropping from 5.0 in 2012 to 4.2 in 2013. Still, Lynch tied for the league lead in broken tackles with 18 -- in addition to making tacklers miss 38 times -- proving he remains one of the toughest running backs to stop. In other words, Beast Mode most definitely lives.

DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys

Murray, whose career got off to an injury-interrupted start, had a breakout 2013 campaign, topping 1,000 yards for the first time and adding 10 total touchdowns. He even slightly edged McCoy in yards per carry (5.2 to 5.1). I like his receiving ability and the fact that he can make people whiff in the open field (28 missed tackles in 2013). His offensive line is much better than it was when he first arrived. If Dallas gives him the ball more in 2014, I think he'll surprise some people.

C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills

Spiller has moves (23 missed tackles in 2013). Given his exceptional vision and explosiveness -- the latter of which is reminiscent of Marshall Faulk in his prime -- he's a special talent as a runner and a receiver. Though he only logged 15-plus carries in six games last season, Spiller still managed to get within 67 yards of the 1,000-yard mark, bolstered by four runs of 40 yards or more. Significant lateral quickness makes him very difficult to bring down.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos

Thomas has very strong hands and great body control to go with long arms; at 6-foot-3 and 229 pounds, he's simply a big, strong player. He boasts really powerful legs, which he uses to make the first guy miss and then pull away from the second guy. It's little wonder that Thomas led receivers in yards after the catch last season with 718 -- which made up a whopping 50.2 percent of his total yardage (1,430).

Josh Gordon, Cleveland Browns

This guy is something else, his disappointing off-field issues aside. Despite being stuck with average-at-best quarterbacks in his first two NFL seasons, Gordon has averaged 17.9 yards per catch. His combination of height, weight, speed and strength make him a mismatch for opposing defenders. Like Jerry Rice, Gordon seems to run faster than his timed speed once the pads are on and he hits the field -- which contributed to his 641 yards after the catch last season, an average of 7.4 per grab.

I'd love to see Gordon and
Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman in a one-on-one passing drill; as good as Sherman is, I suspect Gordon would prevail. Unfortunately, Gordon might be stopped in 2014 by a suspension after a positive drug test -- maybe up to a full year, depending on how the disciplinary process plays out. That could really hamper his continued development, as it can be tough for players to stay in peak form when they spend an extended amount of time away from the action.

Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions

Johnson is, of course, a monster, but he doesn't do as well in yards after the catch (499 in 2013) as one might think. The reason for that is simple: He's often double- and triple-teamed. And while that tactic doesn't stop him from getting his hands on the ball -- as it would almost any other receiver -- it does tend to keep him from picking up extra yardage. Still, he has the makeup of a YAC terror; if offseason additions Golden Taint and Eric Ebron are able to take some defensive attention away in 2014, we could see Megatron do quite a bit more post-catch damage.

Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys

Bryant is another very strong-legged guy who does not often go down on first contact. He just pulls away from defenders; if you don't get him solidly as a tackler, say goodbye. Bryant is also a true competitor. Unlike those receivers who are content to slip out of bounds after making the catch, he'll always try to turn upfield and fight for additional yardage.

Keenan Allen, San Diego Chargers

The way he's built, the 6-2, 211-pound Allen almost looks more like a running back than a receiver. He has soft hands, long arms and exceptional strength. In his stellar rookie season, Allen averaged 14.7 yards per reception, with 438 of his 1,046 yards coming after the catch.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Minnesota Vikings

The second-year pro has great acceleration and outstanding quickness -- just a tough, athletic presence. He had just 45 receptions last season for 469 yards -- but a stunning 62.1 percent of those yards came after the catch (291). He's also a dynamic kick returner who averaged 32.4 yards a pop. Patterson, who played some running back at the junior college level, has a chance to be very special. I'll be interested to see what new Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner can do with this raw talent.

Follow Gil Brandt on Twitter @Gil_Brandt.
Like a lot of other people, when it came to the Draft, I had a hard time picking between Keenan Allen, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Tavon Austin. These stats prove me right! But I'm still happy I went with Tavon, in the long run. Fingers crossed, Allen and Patterson suffer a sophomore slump. We will be playing both of them this year!

Memphis Ram

Legend
You can trip him by his shoelaces in the backfield, but once he gets a head of steam, he can drag the entire 49ers defense with him for a first down, or push the entire Shehawks defense into the endzone.

At the same time, Jackson got tripped in the open field quite a bit, too. He would be better off if he'd get those knees up instead of that gliding running style, IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This list will change dynamically next year at this time...it will contain many new names & 2 to 3 Rams ...me thinks!

I still think that Zac Stacy has some major room to grown as a RB in so many ways. If this OL remains healthy??????..... there will me many less arms & shoulders & helmets being placed on Zac meaning the remaining arms,shoulders & helmets will be much more tired & busy themselves from danger.

When these Ram opponents do encounter the Zac attack .... Its very hard to stop him when they are on their backs................@ the same time dealing with several massive young 330 plus pound OG's planting them in the turf!:heh:

Last edited:

jap

Legend
At the same time, Jackson got tripped in the open field quite a bit, too. He would be better off if he'd get those knees up instead of that gliding running style, IMO.

SJ never had great balance. That has always been one of my biggest knocks against him as a RB. In his early years he was atrocious, running at too high a pad level, allowing even DB's to get great leverage against him early in the play and embarrassingly drive him back. :oops:

Then in 2006 RB Stephen Davis demonstrated to SJ how to run at a proper pad level. By lowering his shoulders more, SJ's balance improved substantially, even if it never reached the greatest levels. At least one almost never saw SJ being driven backwards.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No, please don't make him into the next "Refrigerator", although it did work a memorable time for the Bears. ;)

I'd be OK with seeing that, or even if he doesn't get the ball use him as a lead blocker in goal line or 3rd/4th and inches plays.

Him out front on stretch hand off virtually assures a score/first down.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
A year ago Ray Rice would have been at the top of this list. What the hell happened to the little bowling ball?