Gil Brandt: 3 QB's will go top 15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/21959786/dont-believe-antiqb-hype-brandt-says-three-will-go-in-top-15-picks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... p-15-picks</a>

Draft evaluators have been pushing the quarterbacks down the rankings for months now but here comes the big charge to the front of the draft class.

Does anyone really think the supposed top pass rushers with less than 10 sacks last season -- Barkevious Mingo, Ezekiel Ansah or Dion Jordan -- are less risky than quarterbacks like Matt Barkley (36 touchdown passes in 2012) or Geno Smith (42 TD passes in 2012)? Then you believe the hype around the pass rushers and the lack of hype around the quarterbacks.

I like the pass rushers, but what have they really done as compared to the top quarterbacks? The pass rushers are selling potential. Are the pass rushers sitting atop the mock drafts because of potential? Are the quarterbacks down the list because of over-analyzation?

Gil Brandt and I talked Wednesday, and no one has a better pulse on the draft than Gil. He predicts three quarterbacks will go in the top 15 picks! That even surprised me.

The third QB is anybody's guess. I had a personnel man tell me it might be Ryan Nassib of Syracuse and another speculates it might be EJ Manuel of Florida State.

Bills general manager Buddy Nix told me he will exhaust the quarterback market in this draft because he needs one and there's really nowhere else to go to get one. I see owners like the Eagles' Jeff Lurie going to QB workouts, and it strikes me as a bigger indicator quarterbacks are rising up draft boards. Barkley will have a good workout by the time you read this article, and the momentum will be moving him and Smith up the draft board.

Barkley was supposedly a top-10 pick last year and stayed at Southern California. Some would say he ruined his chances this year by staying the extra year. The same thing was said about Jake Locker two years ago, and he still made the top 10 because the Titans needed a QB.

Smith and Barkley combined for close to 24,000 passing yards and 214 touchdown passes in their careers. Last year the top two draft picks were Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III. They came out of college with 54 less touchdown passes and 4,189 less yards than Barkley and Smith.

This year's top quarterbacks aren't going 1-2 in the draft, nor do they deserve to. But when you consider seven of the top 10 teams are in their high drafting position because they have quarterback issues -- Jaguars, Raiders, Eagles, Browns, Cardinals, Bills and Jets -- they have to consider this draft for the answer to their quarterback woes. Two of these teams have to try to fix their QB problems in the first round, and as Brandt claims, maybe even a third team from this group surprises everyone with a QB.

Here's a little historical look at teams that convinced themselves not to take a QB when he was staring them in the face. In 2004 the Raiders took Robert Gallery and left Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger on the board. The same year the Browns took Kellen Winslow and left Big Ben to haunt them for over a decade.

The Jaguars took WR Reggie Williams that year instead of Roethlisberger. In 2005 the Jaguars took Matt Jones, a college quarterback converted to wide receiver in the NFL, and left Aaron Rodgers on the board. The same year, again, the Raiders took CB Fabian Washington at No. 23 overall, one pick before Rogers.

In 2008, the Dolphins took Jake Long and passed on Matt Ryan, and the Bills took Leodis McKelvin instead of Joe Flacco. How many of the players chosen instead of the QB are even still on those rosters?

Today the cost of drafting a QB in the first round is cheap compared to the old days and it is worth the risk.

Predicting trends in an upcoming draft is dangerous business. Last year all we heard was drafting running backs in the first round was old-school thinking and the new world of NFL thought was take a running back in the third or fourth round. When the real draft came along, three teams took running backs in the first round: Cleveland, Tampa Bay and the Giants. Why? Because they needed a running back and they knew the guy they wanted wouldn't be there in the second round. Trent Richardson, Doug Martin and David Wilson combined for 3,635 yards rushing and receiving and scored 29 touchdowns.

Good thing those clubs weren't listening to the pre-draft analysis about when to take a running back, and I suspect the clubs that need a QB will do the same this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump!

I thought this article would cause a stir!

jap

Legend
As long as they push a blue chipper we can use down to the #16 overall selection, it's all fine & dandy with me. :ww:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Id be happy if 3 QBs went in the top 15. More players for us to pick from. I think 2 will definitely go. IMO the Raiders pick Smith and the Bills pick Barkley.

If a third QB goes in the top 15, whether its Nassib or Manual, it'll mark the peak of the QBs value in the draft. I dont think any one of the top 3 QBs belongs in the top 15. Teams are reaching for QBs hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm with you guys; the more that goes early the better!

But I will be shocked if 3 go first round let alone top 15.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Thrawn

UDFA
CGI_Ram said:

Hope he's wrong and the third one waits an extra pick.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Thrawn said:
CGI_Ram said:

??? You want the Rams to draft a QB?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Looking more like it. Raiders really going to go for a QB w/ Carson Palmer probably getting cut, Matt Barkley's good pro day, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
Looking more like it. Raiders really going to go for a QB w/ Carson Palmer probably getting cut, Matt Barkley's good pro day, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib.
Don't count E.J. Manual out if Philly can work a trade down. Perfect QB for his(Chip Kelly's) system.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
if there is a run on QBs in the top 15 I will pee my pants in excitement. Just the thought of this already has my heart racing.

fearsomefour

Legend
Three QBs going early is a huge key to the Rams have a great first round IMHO. I am not going to try to remember all their names and list them mainly because I have had several pops tonight (Guiness Black Lager....so very, very good). With it a near certainty that the top three LTs wil be gone pretty early along with the top two DTs, at least one DE, the top 4/3 and 3/4 LB, the top CB and a couple of WRs, having 3 QBs going before 15 will give the Rams some great options. The possibility of a player like Warmack sliding all the way to 16 doesnt seem so far fetched with 3 QBs going early. Although I could certainly see a team trading back with a team desperate for a QB and targeting a guy like Warmack. Moving from, say 8 to 12 or 13 and getting him there is a steal. A team like Arizona would be a prime fit for this....adding an extra pick or two and picking up a great interior line prospect would be great for them. We know they wont draft a QB or a LT as their new coach has deemed those positions filled...poor Cardinal fans. But, no matter how it plays out, the more desperate GMs/coaches with visions of RG3 dancing in their heads the better.
I couldnt see using a high first rounder on any of these QBs this year, but, thats just me.

Thrawn

UDFA
libertadrocks said:
Thrawn said:
CGI_Ram said:

??? You want the Rams to draft a QB?

Of course not. I want some team to panic that the QB's are coming off the board and overpay to trade up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think you can bet the farm 2 in the top ten, but this line:

"The third QB is anybody's guess. I had a personnel man tell me it might be Ryan Nassib of Syracuse and another speculates it might be EJ Manuel of Florida State".

Is where they sorta lose me, the prediction relies upon someone reaching in the top half of the first round for a second round tallent.
I think for that to happen ,it's a situation of desperation where a coach is in his second year. I just don't see a first year coach reaching for a QB,WHY would he? If his team stinks he's going to get a pass so wait and get a surer bet without reaching.

Just spit balling there.

Thrawn

UDFA
Thordaddy said:
I think you can bet the farm 2 in the top ten, but this line:

"The third QB is anybody's guess. I had a personnel man tell me it might be Ryan Nassib of Syracuse and another speculates it might be EJ Manuel of Florida State".

Is where they sorta lose me, the prediction relies upon someone reaching in the top half of the first round for a second round tallent.
I think for that to happen ,it's a situation of desperation where a coach is in his second year. I just don't see a first year coach reaching for a QB,WHY would he? If his team stinks he's going to get a pass so wait and get a surer bet without reaching.

Just spit balling there.

I agree and disagree. I agree it's kind of a stretch they are making that a 3rd will go top 15.

However, I disagree with your reasoning. The time to reach for a QB is when your job is pretty secure and you have time to develop him. Although there have been some successful rookie QB's lately, that's not the norm. Usually you have to develop you QB before they are successful. 2nd year coaches are 1 year closer to their contract ending, meaning they have less time to develop a QB. 1st year coaches have the ability to pick "their guy" and have a couple years to try and make them successful.