GIF Breakdown of Todd Gurley's Big Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bskrilla

Starter
http://nflbreakdowns.com/todd-gurley-outside-zone-trap-cardinals-wk42015/

Couple of things I noticed watching the GIFs.

On all of those long runs Tim Barnes made at least 1, if not 2, big blocks to set them up.

On the 30 yard run to seal the victory I'm not sure if it was a good play call by us, a bad play call by Zona, or a good audible by Foles or something, but there are like 2 Cardinal defenders on the left side of the field vs. like 4 Rams lineman. They overloaded the right side and we didn't even really have to block anyone to get Gurley into the open.

I wasn't convinced before but after rewatching the GIF of the 30 yard run some more I'm now sure that Gurley could have scored. He started slowing down right as he hit the first down marker. If he would have turned it on instead he might have gone into the endzone untouched. Glad he made the smart play there.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Thanks for sharing. Tim Barnes is really coming into his own. I don't remember him being so big. If he keeps this up, I hope that a contract extension can be worked out.

I wasn't convinced before but after rewatching the GIF of the 30 yard run some more I'm now sure that Gurley could have scored. He started slowing down right as he hit the first down marker. If he would have turned it on instead he might have gone into the endzone untouched. Glad he made the smart play there.
Bailey and Barnes both throw their hands up in celebration because Gurley is getting a touchdown. I think the only one not surprised that Gurley didn't score was Gurley.

Also that 12 yard run might have been a touch down if J. Brown didn't try to get back to get Okafar but went forward to throw a block on the Honey Badger.

Gurley makes evading leg tackles look easy. Even if the guy is in good position to make a tackle, Gurley can make them miss.

F. Mulder

Starter
I noticed Barnes on several of Gurley's big runs. I was not a fan coming into the season but at least in the AZ game he sure proved me wrong. It would be great if he, individually, and the OL overall can really start to gel as the season progresses. Regardless of the outcome at the end of the season it will give us a much better idea on whether the OL issue has been at least stabilized or if it still needs attention.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Boy if this quote isn't the truth.

For the Rams versus the Cardinals, it was a case of feast-or-famine. Sometimes the center or another interior offensive lineman would let a defender into the backfield immediately after the snap causing a negative play. Other times Gurley was able to showcase his power, speed, and vision between the offensive line making his way up the field.

My hope is though that they saw something they can deploy early and keep the defender out of the backfield. If they can get it done early, I don't think there will be as many defenders shooting the gaps or even attempting it as they will be playing more on their heels.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Boy if this quote isn't the truth.

My hope is though that they saw something they can deploy early and keep the defender out of the backfield. If they can get it done early, I don't think there will be as many defenders shooting the gaps or even attempting it as they will be playing more on their heels.

Brown needs help. I'm telling you guys. Re-watch the first half of last Sundays game.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Calais Campbell is at his very peak of his career if not a couple steps only due to speed ,now to his downside. He's been a monster in his very quiet career. He was a major reason Warner got to see the Steelers and one play short of another Lombardi. That was a hell of a "D" they had in the desert. I think the back 4 are better now over Cromartie but they lack at LB what Dansby brought them at that time.Campbell is a beast out of Miami. So am I...out of Miami that is:D

Rainram

Starter
Brown needs help. I'm telling you guys. Re-watch the first half of last Sundays game.

I think that was more of a Calais Campbell thing than a Jamon Brown thing myself.

I'm with 12inthebox...Calais Campbell had quietly been a monster, especially the last 2-3 years. He's off to a hell of a start this year.

As for Jamon Brown. Nope, not worried. He's still got some learning to do, but he's ahead of the curve and he looks very good to me.