Get to know a Rams Rookie: WR Austin Franklin/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Get to know a rookie: Austin Franklin
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9268/get-to-know-a-rookie-austin-franklin

We’ve officially reached the closest thing to a dead period the NFL has to offer these days as organized team activities are over and training camp has not yet arrived.

That means vacation time for the players, coaches and, yes, reporters. In the meantime, let’s get to know some of the lesser-known additions to the Rams roster: the rookie free agents.

Austin Franklin

Position: Wide receiver

College: New Mexico State

Height: 5-foot-11

Weight: 189 pounds

Stat to know: Franklin was at his best in games against top competition, posting a combined 17 catches for 299 yards and two touchdowns against Auburn and Boston College. Although he missed time because of an academic suspension in 2013, Franklin's career numbers are quite impressive even if they didn't garner him much attention. All told, he finished his college career with 160 catches for 2,439 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Road to the roster: While the Rams always have room for more playmakers, it's going to be tough for any undrafted rookie wideout to crack the roster. There might be at least a sliver of hope, though, because of the four-game suspension for roster lock Stedman Bailey. As it stands, the Rams have a group that includes Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Kenny Britt, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick and Bailey that are likely to earn roster spots assuming the Rams keep six at the position. In the meantime, the Rams could give a long look to the rest of the wideouts on the roster to hold down Bailey's spot until he returns. T.J. Moe, Justin Veltung and Emory Blake are among those also jockeying for position. Franklin is an intriguing prospect who has drawn comparisons to Indianapolis' T.Y. Hilton. It will be tough for him to land on the 53 but he's a name to keep an eye on as preseason games begin.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If Givens doesn't step up his game, he could be on the list of players replaced by a Franklin. JMO

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I don't have much expectation for Franklin. Practice squad possibility. Britt - Quick - Austin - Givens - Bailey - Pettis are all locks. Moe has a play stye and skill set that fits with the others quite nicely. Blake played in a run-first offense and should be more advanced in run-blocking. Veltung has NFL KR experience.

I'm not sure any of those guys make the 53, but if anyone does my money is on Moe.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I don't have much expectation for Franklin. Practice squad possibility. Britt - Quick - Austin - Givens - Bailey - Pettis are all locks. Moe has a play stye and skill set that fits with the others quite nicely. Blake played in a run-first offense and should be more advanced in run-blocking. Veltung has NFL KR experience.

I'm not sure any of those guys make the 53, but if anyone does my money is on Moe.
Like Moe! Amendola type receiver. Like the avatar!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks. Just wish "Argument" was spelled properly in it.
vC56LJL.jpg

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Does Moe really have a shot at making the team? Veltung did finish the season on the active roster, mainly for special teams reasons. The guy I'm pulling for is Emory Blake, if they decide to keep an extra WR. I always liked Jeff, Emory's dad.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Does Moe really have a shot at making the team? Veltung did finish the season on the active roster, mainly for special teams reasons. The guy I'm pulling for is Emory Blake, if they decide to keep an extra WR. I always liked Jeff, Emory's dad.
I think so, yeah. I just see his particular style of play as fairly unique among Rams receivers. Closest is Pettis (good routes, good hands, moderate speed) but for some reason Pettis has just never had the opportunity to be that over-the-middle slot guy like Amendola was. Moe seems to be built to play that role.

We've already got two guys who are size/speed outside threats (Britt and Quick), one pure straight-ahead burner (Givens), one all-over "weapon" with speed and quicks (Austin). Pettis has a size/hands/route running combo, and Bailey also seems more suited for an outside spot with a complex mid-deep route tree. We really don't have that over-the-middle catch-all chains-mover... your Ricky Proehl, Danny Amendola, Wes Welker type. There's guys who could compete for that spot, and Blake may well be suited for it, too, but it just seems our biggest unknown from a WR profile point of view is what Moe is best suited for.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the often voiced desires to use Tavon in so many ways in this offense & increase his outside WR & backfield use instead of just the slots & punt returner opens the door some for a players like Austin Franklin who is said to be a clone of T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts.

Austin Franklin is a very interesting slot WR IMO. Snead & Fisher are always looking for players that can improve over time & grow into this team. Rams @ the moment appear IMO very full in this receiver unit. Baring injury Britt-Austin-Quick-Bailey look like the top four to stick here currently. Given-Pettis-Moe-Veltung appear to be the second set of four that offers some average solid talents but leave me wanting much more. In truth this early season could be the last hurrah's for Given & Pettis. They have been around now for 2 & 3 complete seasons excuses or reasons for their accumulative resume since their arrival is not all that special if they can not prove to be special performers then its time to seek some from other areas. Thus my interests in these two below.

The team being a run first team with a super strong defense makes the keeping of six WR's & a even lower number RB open for debate. The Bailey situation could provide a special commodity WR to sense the opportunity here in the four games absent Stedman. If pass catching Bayer is what I think he is then a possible five (TE/FB/H-back) Cook/Harkey/Hendricks/Bayer/Cunningham surprise may be more useful. Then the Five WR's may be the smart way to go with a RB contingent of Stacy/Mason/Pead/Cunningham with Watts on PS.

Another very interesting sign @ WR was the smaller super fast speeder Diontae Spencer (4.27 40 yard). Both of these rookie newbys could be exciting to watch in TC & pre season. Their ability to perform in the slot and in ST's will be the main path to making this team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1850924/austin-franklin

http://www.bombasticview.com/2014/04/07/bigs-diontae-spencer-wrkrpr-crushes-pro-day-draft-ready/

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hey, Bonifay, thanks for the Diontae Spencer links....wow, another Tavon! Any wr run 4.27 is a need in my book. Now can he catch oh? Should be interesting.....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hey, Bonifay, thanks for the Diontae Spencer links....wow, another Tavon! Any wr run 4.27 is a need in my book. Now can he catch oh? Should be interesting.....
Agreed, thanks for that link. Those numbers are absurd. I thought he was purely a straight-line burner, but the short shuttle shows some serious change-of-direction.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he stands a good chance to make the team. After all, he has the all important "Austin" name.