Get to know a Rams Rookie: FB Kadeem Jones/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Get to know a rookie: Kadeem Jones
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9272/get-to-know-a-rookie-kadeem-jones

We’ve officially reached the closest thing to a dead period the NFL has to offer these days as organized team activities are over and training camp has not yet arrived.

That means vacation time for the players, coaches and, yes, reporters. In the meantime, let’s get to know some of the lesser-known additions to the Rams roster: the rookie free agents.

Kadeem Jones

Position: Fullback

College: Western Kentucky

Height: 5-foot-10

Weight: 266 pounds

Stat to know: As fullbacks go, Jones posted better numbers in 2012 than you'd expect, but his greatest contribution came in serving as the lead blocker for running back Antonio Andrews. Andrews set a school record with 1,728 rushing yards with Jones leading the way. Jones also proved useful in short-yardage red zone situations with six touchdowns, three rushing and three receiving in his junior season.

Road to the roster: In the specific sense of the word, the Rams don't have a true fullback on the roster. If that's something they want, Jones would seem to have a chance just because he's the only player in house who fits the description. But the Rams do have options, including ones who offer more positional versatility than Jones likely would. Tight end Cory Harkey served as a lead blocker on a regular basis in 2013 and helped the team's running game improve in the second half of the season. Fellow tight end Lance Kendricks also has the ability to play both spots. Jones likely would have to prove to be a substantial upgrade over Harkey to earn his way on to the roster. Adding some value on special teams would also be a necessary selling point.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Meh. Harkey and Kendricks will probably line up as lead blocker in the backfield plenty, and maybe Cunningham. Don't see this guy getting much of a chance.

JRobinson

MiLB
After watching what little youtube video I could find, nothing appears to really jump out at me about this guy. I watch the highlights against Tennessee and nothing seemed superior to what we already have on the roster. However, the guy does look to be very stout and strong. But, I believe it could be a longshot that he makes this roster.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It'll take a lot of injuries AND Jones showing a lot on special teams for him to make the roster. Otherwise Harkey and Kendricks will likely handle it. Harkey showed a lot of success blocking, and I like Kendricks back there because he adds pass catching to the blocking. And there are other TE prospects on the roster the Rams like who would jump at the chance to get time in the backfield too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maybe Practice Squad, but for the record I think was Memphis who pointed out that Schottenheimer's offense worked best with a true FB, however, IMO Harkey acts as a true FB.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt even practice squad. There are - what? 5 slots? They will try to get a DL or two on it. Need at least one OL on it. Probably try to get a WR on it. A DB or two. And likely a LB or TE. There just isn't room for a true FB imo.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Huge longshot. He has a better chance of getting hit by lightning.....while on the football field. How many teams in the NFL still employ an actual FB still? And I dont mean the hybrid TE/FB combo. Just strictly FB. Any idea?