Get ready for the Legion of Boom rule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Too bad there wasn't a 're-emphasizing' of this rule while the Patriots D was manhandling Marshall Faulk and our receivers during the Super Bowl.
--------------------------------------------------------
Get ready for the Legion of Boom rule

Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2014

seahawks.jpg
AP

A decade ago, the NFL made illegal contact and defensive holding a point of emphasis based in part on complaints from former Colts G.M. Bill Polian that Patriots defensive backs were manhandling Peyton Manning’s pass-catchers. Now, the NFL is re-emphasizing the point of emphasis.

As explained by FOX’s Mike Pereira on Twitter, a former NFL V.P. of officiating, illegal contact and defensive holding will be a point of emphasis in 2014.

As a practical matter, it’s the Legion of Boom rule. In 2013, the Seahawks brazenly committed illegal contact and holding, knowing that, if illegal contact happens on every play, the officials won’t throw a flag on every play. In an intriguing segment that aired on NBCSN’s NFL Turning Point, Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman was displaying to a teammate on the practice field techniques for concealing illegal contact.

This year, the officials may be far more inclined to throw flags. Per Pereira, the 2004 push to stop defensive backs from pushing and tugging and shoving receivers resulted in an increase in illegal contact fouls from 79 to 191.

That will lead to more intriguing comments from Sherman, especially in light of what he said in January.

“The game was allowed to be played physical, and that’s why you had so many run games,” Sherman said regarding the way the NFL used to be. “That’s an old school brand of football. I don’t know how old the rules are, but since these rules have come, you look up and every receiver, every play they could drop a wide-open pass and turn around and look for a flag. I think that kind of ruins the game. That kind of ruins the intensity, the whole DNA of football and what it is if you see flags every single play.”

Pereira notes that the Legion of Boom rule will be offset by an emphasis on offensive pass interference. “Not an even trade in my opinion,” Pereira notes.

Despite Sherman’s and Pereira’s desire for the current state of affairs to remain in place, the Seahawks will stop committing so much strategic illegal contact if the flags fly often enough to get the message to the defensive backs that the officials will indeed risk slowing the game to a crawl if the Seahawks hope to take advantage of the reluctance to make a game last much longer than it should.

Of course, telling the officials to throw the flag more often in a conference room won’t necessarily result in more flags being thrown during games. But it worked in 2004 — it could work again in 2014, making it harder for the Seahawks to repeat.

The good news for Seattle is that, a decade ago, the Patriots won the Super Bowl for a second straight year, even with the renewed emphasis on mugging Manning’s teammates.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So let me get this straight...

Seattle's secondary is going to be officiated by the rules NOW ? That certainly wasn't even close to being the case last year.

I would love to see the NFL get back to ensuring the integrity of the game/rules... but I'm calling total bullshit on the NFL going that route. They are more likely to follow the NBA's lead on calling the games based on the name on the jersey than to consider the integrity of the sport.

Hope I'm wrong as fuck on that.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
These rules should advantage smaller recs, who commit less OI and it's easier to notice being DI'd

Last edited:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Fans don't like games that are dragged down by yellow laundry. It's the price of giving the people what they want.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Fans don't like games that are dragged down by yellow laundry. It's the price of giving the people what they want.

Fans dont like it flags every play when it is their team being penalized, but most would not mind flags every play if they were penalizing the opponent.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
But the laundry can be greatly reduced simply by officiating the games by the rules. As soon as coaches/teams/players find out the rules will be enforced the laundry will go away for the most part.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
But the laundry can be greatly reduced simply by officiating the games by the rules. As soon as coaches/teams/players find out the rules will be enforced the laundry will go away for the most part.

Seems to me like this is a pretty consistent ebb and flow kinda thing. Rules are new point of emphasis, guys get flagged more, guys learn their lesson, becomes less of a point of emphasis because less infractions are happening, some teams test the limits of how far they can get away with it, they get good, they take it to the Nth degree in the Super Bowl because they know the officials aren't going to bog that game down with penalties, following offseason rules get reinforced. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Fans dont like it flags every play when it is their team being penalized, but most would not mind flags every play if they were penalizing the opponent.

That's true. But in a game like the Super Bowl there are lots of people who are watching who aren't fans of either, and they're bored by a penalty filled game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The shecock secondary,,, especially dick sherman,,, were permitted to hold and interfere without penalty throughout the entire season... not just the Super Bowl.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's a pretty big fuck you to just about everyone that the Seahawks intentionally cheated knowing the refs wouldn't want to call penalties on every play, taught techniques to cheat, and the essentially bragged about it openly. Not to mention the PED'S and other issues. Cheater organization, and another black eye on the NFL for letting it happen.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Seems like ole Pete took a page from Bill Billichek in the SB...Looked like NE vs GSOT in 2002 all over again last year. Not as obvious though cause Peyton didn't try to throw as deep as Kurt.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Damn. They may have to take Devon Sanders out of the HOF.

Athos

Legend
Or how about calling flags when they hold Robert Quinn on every single play? That was disgusting.

They play foosball like whiny brats. Piss and moan to the refs, specially that tool Carrol, when teams get physical with them and beat the snot out of their players. But smirk and tell jokes when they do it.

Can't stand the lot of them, but they learn from daddy Carrol who teaches that nonsense.

Weaklings were deathly afraid of Quinn and held him all day long.