Gerald Rivers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Can someone explain the love for Cody Davis?

I haven't seen anything this preseason that warrants him making the final 53.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I thought he did well tackling when he needed to. To me he's not a flashy player, but he gets the job done.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rivers is one of the top UDFA finds this season. locating & securing pass rushing DL'ers in the NFL in 2013 is a must to win games. Its super critical to disrupting this highly tuned offenses. In our own divison (Seattle & SF) the DL must be quick with speed....in the case of Rivers he has both.

You put Rivers @ LDE & Long or Hayes @ LDT then Quinn @ RDE & Sims or Conrath @ RDE :hehe: Our starting safeties (Team Mac's )are much faster over last yrs Dahl & Mikell. Rookie Ogletree replaces much slower vets McIntosh & Hagans. You also insert Ray Ray for WW on passing downs too to get some serious speed @ OSLB'er.

But Rivers will surprise many unaware starting OT's early this seasons!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
HeiseNBerg said:

agree...i love the guys athleticism, bottom line...i haven't seen anything that warrants a job.

fearsomefour

Legend
At 6' 5" 250 lbs Rivers wont clear waivers to get on the practice squad....he has 3/4 pass rusher written all over him. But, I think he makes the team. Long, Quinn, Haynes, Sims and Rivers is a heck of a deep DE group. Of course the real advantage is teams may be forced to face a never tiring rotation of fierce pass rushers. There may not be enough snaps to get Rivers a lot of snaps even with Haynes sliding inside on some passing downs, but, being able to have a true rotation is a benefit to everyone.
Cody Davis got a lot of hype for being athletic, which is is, but he hasnt shown much in games. Worthy of the practice squad based on his athletic ability to get some more time and hope somethings click between the ears.
This administration has proven an ability to find talent....THE most important aspect of staying competitive in the NFL now in my opinion.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
HeiseNBerg said:

IMO he is just not a flashy player which might hurt him in the long run. he is in the right spot and doesnt miss tackles. he covers well and doesnt get thrown at much.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
fearsomefour said:
At 6' 5" 250 lbs Rivers wont clear waivers to get on the practice squad....he has 3/4 pass rusher written all over him. But, I think he makes the team. Long, Quinn, Haynes, Sims and Rivers is a heck of a deep DE group. Of course the real advantage is teams may be forced to face a never tiring rotation of fierce pass rushers. There may not be enough snaps to get Rivers a lot of snaps even with Haynes sliding inside on some passing downs, but, being able to have a true rotation is a benefit to everyone.
Cody Davis got a lot of hype for being athletic, which is is, but he hasnt shown much in games. Worthy of the practice squad based on his athletic ability to get some more time and hope somethings click between the ears.
This administration has proven an ability to find talent....THE most important aspect of staying competitive in the NFL now in my opinion.

I could see Rivers being ahead of Sims

Graphicker

Starter
Simms can rush inside.. But so can hayes, Damm what a great problem to have lol.

With those long arms he can also be used to block kicks or punts.

I would love to see Quinn come in ala Aldon..

Have a 5 man pass rush of

DE-Rivers-DT-Hayes-DT-Brockers-Long-(Leo)Quinn

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof

You might even replace Brockers with Sims.

My goodness 3 and long will be a treat to watch.

Graphicker

Starter
HeiseNBerg said:

I made a BB sig not that long ago,

1349848240-U11225.png

1349848188-U11225.png

bskrilla

Starter
Gotta keep him on the 53. No way he makes the PS. Kid is just too damn good. It was the Rivers and Ray Ray show on defense last night.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bskrilla said:
Gotta keep him on the 53. No way he makes the PS. Kid is just too damn good. It was the Rivers and Ray Ray show on defense last night.

Agreed! So far, it is looking like the Rams agree as well! I certainly hope he makes the Rams final roster!

paceram

Pro Bowler
When I first read about Rivers my first comparison that I thought of was the 49's Aldon Smith (similar size & speed). Am I just doing some wishful thinking or do you think Rivers can be a poor man's Aldon Smith (although, I do realize with both Long & Quinn ahead of him he may not get a lot of playing time/at least not for awhile).

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
paceram asking for a sanity check:
Am I just doing some wishful thinking
Yes. :lol:

Seriously though, he's just a UDFA you know. He does have some potential.

paceram

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:

Yea, I am probably putting way too high of expectations on him!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
paceram said:
albefree69 said:

Yea, I am probably putting way too high of expectations on him!

Expect away. I think he definitely showed some moxy last night.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
He played pretty well against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Let's see how well he does against the big boys.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
He played pretty well against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Let's see how well he does against the big boys.

Yes we will if he makes the cut. Lots of traffic at that position for us right now. I agree though. We always see those guys that spark in a certain preseason game and then do nothing. I sure loved his energy last night though.