Georgia Fan on Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Thanks for the input, I'd seen a few Gurley games and the highlights of course but nice to hear insight from UGA fans who know the little things about him that make him truly special.

Everything I've seen and heard makes me think he's the next great NFL running back, super psyched to have him as a Ram right now.

jap

Legend
He has Arian Foster's vision, and Adrian Peterson's power. No joke.

Another player comp that just hit me. Gayle Sayers.

I can hear the ghost of Howard Cosell going verbally nuts over this kid the same way Howard did during OJ's 2003-yard season. I love the fact that he is not really a media guy either.

TG: "Gentlemen, I like providing my discussions on the field!"

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Np man, Gotta say, he isnt really a media type of guy either but i think he has done better with it recently. Not his thing so some of his past interviews were kinda like Marshawn Lynch in some interviews lol. All Gurley wants to do is strap it up and play ball.

Yeah he's pretty shy when it comes to the media.

Thanks for the input, I'd seen a few Gurley games and the highlights of course but nice to hear insight from UGA fans who know the little things about him that make him truly special.

Everything I've seen and heard makes me think he's the next great NFL running back, super psyched to have him as a Ram right now.

What's funny is when he was recruited to Georgia, he was kinda second fiddle in the recruiting process to another RB we signed, Keith Marshall. But all it took was the first day of a full pads scrimmage to set the legend in motion. My roommate was a grad assistant at the time and called me right after and said, "A 17 year old kid just dominated our first scrimmage against 9 future NFL players on D. Wait til you see him run the football".

http://www.macon.com/2014/11/12/3420081_gurleys-legend-quickly-grew-among.html?rh=1

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can hear the ghost of Howard Cosell going verbally nuts over this kid the same way Howard did during OJ's 2003-yard season. I love the fact that he is not really a media guy either.

TG: "Gentlemen, I like providing my discussions on the field!"
I love that he knows what he needs to work on to be a great pro too. He doesn't seem like a diva, and he has more right than most to do that. I can't wait to watch him in horns.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I thought i would check out the Rams fan's thoughts on Gurley. I am the farthest thing from a "homer" fan eventhough i love UGA but never have picked them to win it all just so you know i am not just being a "fan". But i wanted to give my thoughts on Gurley as i have watched every single snap he has taken in college.

In his freshman year, i remember texting my buddy saying he is better than AJ Green as a player (yes a different position) and that is when Green just went #4 in the draft and the #1 WR in the draft. I am 37 years old and he is the best player i have seen in my lifetime (too young to remember Herschel Walker playing) and we have had a ton of 1st round draft picks. Fisher wasnt wrong when he said this type of player comes along once in a decade, LT said something like Gurley is the best in his generation. I dont think a lot of Ram's fans realize how rare he is. In practice his true freshman year, we had a ridiculous amount of defensive talent and pretty sure more defensive draft picks then any team that year (something like 7 defensive draft picks in one year)...... he couldnt be stopped before he even played a game his freshman year in fall camp. He was going for like 10 ypc against 1st round draft picks and tons of NFL players. He has the 6th fastest hurdling time in the history of the UGA track team, was on the world youth hurdling team. He raced Chris Conley before in practice and beat him while at UGA, Conley ran a 4.35 at the combine. Also nobody was more powerful than him in College either, would break tackles like he was playing with little kids.

A lot of his highlights are of him as a true freshman and he played on a really bad sprain ankled most of his sophmore year. Only played 5 games his junior year (so not as many highlights of him as a junior) and is still only 20 years old. Gurley is "rare" not elite but "rare" as long as he comes back from his ACL injury 100%.

Again, i am not just trying to be a UGA fan saying my guy is the best, i have never once posted on an NFL forum in my life but i saw many Ram fans 2nd guessing it cause they wanted an OL so wanted to give my input. Good luck to you guys in your season.

Enjoy these gifs too :)

giphy.gif

i7z6TDQwXEozQ.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_ncl3ytvbmd1tfn5tro1_500.gif

bhrop.gif
Our nephew, the UGA grad called us and talked him up so I'm good with the pick as long as he comes back strong as ever! And, Welcome!

Ram65

Legend
Good stuff thanks for sharing. Just watched his presser and he look very comfortable in front of the press and cameras. Very likeable personality. Humble but very confident. Love the Stiff-Arm! ED used it to perfection too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I still see Edge with a little more power but a little less wiggle.

jap

Legend
I love! super talented RBs. I have been blessed to see some very special ones with the Rams in Eric "the Great" Dickerson and The Marshall Plan. Other Horn RBs that were very, very good (SJ, Bettis, McCutcheon, etc.).

I see a little of a number of top all-time RBs in TG---a little Jim Brown, OJ, ED, even some AP. Dr. Ram saw some resemblance to one of my all-time favorites: Gayle "the Kansas Comet" "Black Magic" Sayers. I suppose that speaks to the breakaway speed and the ability to catch the football. If this guy can run routes down-field a la Marshall, do we have any idea what a nightmare he can create for defenders with Sted, Tavon, Brian Quick, & Kenny sharing the same field!?! And we can't forget about Cookie and Kendricks either.

Most defenses---perhaps all of them---will have to crowd the box with eight guys to try and control him. How many DBs can handle Quick, Kenny, Sted, or Tavon one-on-one? Play action passes with this guy threatening defenses can create huge plays at any given moment.

His very presence will take loads off of Nick and our receivers. I just hope Nick will be up to the task of taking full advantage of having a supremely talented RB at his disposal. Our defense will get plenty of time to recover and re-energize---well, at least during those offensive drives when TG is not running 40+ yards to pay-dirt!!! And if we can build early leads with TG and Nick, then our all-world defensive front seven can tee off on the opposing backfield with reckless abandon!

This one guy by himself can transform this team if he is employed most effectively!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I love! super talented RBs. I have been blessed to see some very special ones with the Rams in Eric "the Great" Dickerson and The Marshall Plan. Other Horn RBs that were very, very good (SJ, Bettis, McCutcheon, etc.).

I see a little of a number of top all-time RBs in TG---a little Jim Brown, OJ, ED, even some AP. Dr. Ram saw some resemblance to one of my all-time favorites: Gayle "the Kansas Comet" "Black Magic" Sayers. I suppose that speaks to the breakaway speed and the ability to catch the football. If this guy can run routes down-field a la Marshall, do we have any idea what a nightmare he can create for defenders with Sted, Tavon, Brian Quick, & Kenny sharing the same field!?! And we can't forget about Cookie and Kendricks either.

Most defenses---perhaps all of them---will have to crowd the box with eight guys to try and control him. How many DBs can handle Quick, Kenny, Sted, or Tavon one-on-one? Play action passes with this guy threatening defenses can create huge plays at any given moment.

His very presence will take loads off of Nick and our receivers. I just hope Nick will be up to the task of taking full advantage of having a supremely talented RB at his disposal. Our defense will get plenty of time to recover and re-energize---well, at least during those offensive drives when TG is not running 40+ yards to pay-dirt!!! And if we can build early leads with TG and Nick, then our all-world defensive front seven can tee off on the opposing backfield with reckless abandon!

This one guy by himself can transform this team if he is employed most effectively!
Guarantee you Cignetti about crapped himself when he found out this was our pick, so many options open up....

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I thought i would check out the Rams fan's thoughts on Gurley. I am the farthest thing from a "homer" fan eventhough i love UGA but never have picked them to win it all just so you know i am not just being a "fan". But i wanted to give my thoughts on Gurley as i have watched every single snap he has taken in college.

In his freshman year, i remember texting my buddy saying he is better than AJ Green as a player (yes a different position) and that is when Green just went #4 in the draft and the #1 WR in the draft. I am 37 years old and he is the best player i have seen in my lifetime (too young to remember Herschel Walker playing) and we have had a ton of 1st round draft picks. Fisher wasnt wrong when he said this type of player comes along once in a decade, LT said something like Gurley is the best in his generation. I dont think a lot of Ram's fans realize how rare he is. In practice his true freshman year, we had a ridiculous amount of defensive talent and pretty sure more defensive draft picks then any team that year (something like 7 defensive draft picks in one year)...... he couldnt be stopped before he even played a game his freshman year in fall camp. He was going for like 10 ypc against 1st round draft picks and tons of NFL players. He has the 6th fastest hurdling time in the history of the UGA track team, was on the world youth hurdling team. He raced Chris Conley before in practice and beat him while at UGA, Conley ran a 4.35 at the combine. Also nobody was more powerful than him in College either, would break tackles like he was playing with little kids.

A lot of his highlights are of him as a true freshman and he played on a really bad sprain ankled most of his sophmore year. Only played 5 games his junior year (so not as many highlights of him as a junior) and is still only 20 years old. Gurley is "rare" not elite but "rare" as long as he comes back from his ACL injury 100%.

Again, i am not just trying to be a UGA fan saying my guy is the best, i have never once posted on an NFL forum in my life but i saw many Ram fans 2nd guessing it cause they wanted an OL so wanted to give my input. Good luck to you guys in your season.

Enjoy these gifs too :)

giphy.gif

i7z6TDQwXEozQ.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_ncl3ytvbmd1tfn5tro1_500.gif

bhrop.gif

Thanks Dawg!!!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thank you for posting. I have to admit, I was not thrilled with this pick, but mainly because of the injury, coupled with our needs at other positions. I am coming around thanks to some posts like this and just reminding myself how good this kid has been when healthy. He does open things up for an offense doesn't he?? Starting to rethink my earlier skepticism....

DawgFather

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah he's pretty shy when it comes to the media.

What's funny is when he was recruited to Georgia, he was kinda second fiddle in the recruiting process to another RB we signed, Keith Marshall. But all it took was the first day of a full pads scrimmage to set the legend in motion. My roommate was a grad assistant at the time and called me right after and said, "A 17 year old kid just dominated our first scrimmage against 9 future NFL players on D. Wait til you see him run the football".

http://www.macon.com/2014/11/12/3420081_gurleys-legend-quickly-grew-among.html?rh=1

Spyder is dead on, i am pretty sure if he was born a month later he would have another year in college. That defense he went against in practice had insane talent including the Ram's Tree, There is a reason Tree was excited about the pick. To be honest, i am not sure how good Tree has been in the NFL but was very good in college. He went against him in practice everyday when he was a still a freshman. People always throw out the word Freak which to me is used WAY too much to me. Very few players are freaks, Calvin Johnson is a freak but to me the most elite players arent even freaks in the NFL. Gurley is the exact definition of a freak, Guy's his size shouldnt be that fast out of the backfield and still be a very good receiver on top of that. And be an elite kick returner. He returned 12 kickoffs for his career, 3 for TDs but stats i think say 2 out of 11 because the one from Auburn last year got called back and the holding had no impact on the play. I use to read other forums of the teams we would play and they constantly talked about how they would stop them and not worried about him, after the game they would be like, yeah he is really that effin good. No wonder he is considered the best talent in a long time.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I said that to someone the night he was drafted. He glides just like Sayers did. Best comp I have heard

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spyder is dead on, i am pretty sure if he was born a month later he would have another year in college. That defense he went against in practice had insane talent including the Ram's Tree, There is a reason Tree was excited about the pick. To be honest, i am not sure how good Tree has been in the NFL but was very good in college. He went against him in practice everyday when he was a still a freshman. People always throw out the word Freak which to me is used WAY too much to me. Very few players are freaks, Calvin Johnson is a freak but to me the most elite players arent even freaks in the NFL. Gurley is the exact definition of a freak, Guy's his size shouldnt be that fast out of the backfield and still be a very good receiver on top of that. And be an elite kick returner. He returned 12 kickoffs for his career, 3 for TDs but stats i think say 2 out of 11 because the one from Auburn last year got called back and the holding had no impact on the play. I use to read other forums of the teams we would play and they constantly talked about how they would stop them and not worried about him, after the game they would be like, yeah he is really that effin good. No wonder he is considered the best talent in a long time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And by the way, Gurley is a beast at pass blocking. Complete package

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Thanks OP....I find power running beautiful, which isn't how most feel...I cheer over 6 yard runs in front of my TV..I get up and scream with a 20 yard plus run...This makes me a sick puppy..:welcome:

You're not alone brother. I love watching good full backs lead blocking or a guard pulling around to lead block.

I like watching receivers like Vincent Jackson block as well. I must be old school by nature.

DawgFather

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a great picture of Jadeveon Clowney holding on for dear life trying to tackle Todd Gurley

fba7801845f9e37e9aae5c98baf8b547.jpg

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Oh Yeah! The Rams are going to run and run and run...Foles may get bored. A deep O-Line just what the Dr ordered no one sucking wind on long drives and two potentially great young backs. A huge one two punch.