Geno Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I really do not post topics very often. I enjoy the topics and commentary and am usually just a reader. Since finding ROD I've been posting a bit more than I typically do. Bear with me. . .

I was just reading on another thread about the Jets likely having a clean out, new GM, head coach, etc. I'm not sure they would let Geno Smith go; but what would you guys think if he was brought in to be a back up to Sam?

I never thought the guy would be great but I thought he had potential to be manageable and even win some games. The moment he was drafted to the Jets I knew he was not going to succeed (Rex really needs to find a good offensive coach to coach with him). I think in a back up role he might really be a nice find for our team, not too mention the West Virginia connection

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I wouldn't mind him being our 3rd string QB behind Sam and Hill or a high drafted guy and see where it goes from there.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He's already got the chemistry with Tavon and Bailey, which is nice, but I don't think he's a very good QB and it won't help him learning a new offense. Maybe with more weapons around him though, he could be worth something. At this point I still feel like there are better backup QBS available.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
He most certainly knows 2 of our WR's. :cool:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I really do not post topics very often. I enjoy the topics and commentary and am usually just a reader. Since finding ROD I've been posting a bit more than I typically do. Bear with me. . .

I was just reading on another thread about the Jets likely having a clean out, new GM, head coach, etc. I'm not sure they would let Geno Smith go; but what would you guys think if he was brought in to be a back up to Sam?

I never thought the guy would be great but I thought he had potential to be manageable and even win some games. The moment he was drafted to the Jets I knew he was not going to succeed (Rex really needs to find a good offensive coach to coach with him). I think in a back up role he might really be a nice find for our team, not too mention the West Virginia connection

Excellent topic. Good judgement which suggests you post more :sneaky:

As it relates to the topic; he's just a different kind of QB than this offense demands. Then again, Memphis is quick to remind us the backup needs to have skills (like running) outside the core Offense due to limited practice reps.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

IMHO he's a career back up at best.
We have Austin Davis.
Why do we need another back up?
Frankly I don't think he is as good as Austin Davis.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I am only a fan of QBs that cherish possession. Geno Smith turns the ball over much too often to find success, IMO.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I'm not sure that bringing him in would be a bad idea. We have not seen what he is capable of, given that disaster of an offense that he was thrust into as a rookie. I'm not so sure he can't be a starter in this league, given the right circumstances. He definitely has the skill set.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seen enough of Geno with the Jets to say no...Backup change of pace perhaps, but I feel stronger about Austin Davis then I do about Geno Smith.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

As it relates to the topic; he's just a different kind of QB than this offense demands. Then again, Memphis is quick to remind us the backup needs to have skills (like running) outside the core Offense due to limited practice reps.

Memphis is a very smart man... (Ouch....) lol Glad he is here. His reasoning is very logic and sound in a backup QB.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would give him a chance. He knows 2 of our receivers well. I would take him over Austin Davis. Maybe he can learn something from Bradford and hopefully Hill

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The big hope is that Bradford can come back healthy and put on a show. (period)

fearsomefour

Legend
To me his shortcomings line right up with Kaperdoodle, except he does not have Kaps arm talent or legs. The only benefit to Smith is the aforementioned relationship with Austin and Bailey.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
At first I was firmly in the no category. But that WVU connection was special. But WOW did he look bad with the Jets. Then again, many QB's would not succeed in NY.

I have no idea.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm not a fan of his attitude. He just doesn't seem to react well to adversity. It may not be a fair assessment but I'm an armchair gm.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He's like CK, only with half the arm talent. Exhibit A for not reaching for a player in a draft just because your fans demand it, or ESPN says you have to.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think Geno has the brain to play NFL QB. Not many people do. He is the typical spread offense QB that has taken over college football and ruined QB development at that level for good.

Fisher is very big on protecting the ball. I don't think there is any way that he considers Geno Smith.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Memphis theory is fine if your backup is a backup only like Seneca Wallace, but if the Rams are going to be grooming someone, like Aaron Rodgers to be the starter then it goes out the window IMO.

WvuIN02

Starter
Its hard to evaluate anyone starting their career on the Jets. Look at Sanchez with a good OC and some weapons, most importantly not in the dysfunctional black hole that is the NY Jets. Hire Dana Holgorsen as OC while you're at it, lol.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Memphis theory is fine if your backup is a backup only like Seneca Wallace, but if the Rams are going to be grooming someone, like Aaron Rodgers to be the starter then it goes out the window IMO.

But they're not. They dont have a 32 year old + pro (Im not counting Hill because he isnt the real "starter") to groom someone behind. They've got a 27 year old QB with 2 consecutive ACL injuries - who is either going to be healthy this year - or they're starting again from scratch at the QB position. No time to groom a future starter behind someone else!