Geno Smith an enigma?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://t.sports.ca.msn.com/nfl/news/report-genos-attitude-caused-slide-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://t.sports.ca.msn.com/nfl/news/rep ... ed-slide-2</a>

Geno Smith is blaming his now former agents for his falling all the way into the second round of this year’s NFL draft. But it appears he might actually be the one at fault.

Smith, who finally came off the board at No. 39 to the New York Jets, fired his agents after the draft-day slide. But some league executive seemed unimpressed with Smith, according to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.

The sources described Smith as having a bad attitude and even accused him of spending too much time on his phone instead of paying attention to coaches.

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said one league executive. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches.”

The same accusation came from another league executive, who claimed that Smith was something of a loner during his visit to their facility.

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one of the sources said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

The overwhelming perception wasn’t that people around the league didn’t like Smith, rather, that they worried about his personality and how players would react to him in the locker room.

“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” said another league executive. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

The Jets better hope that all the criticisms of Smith are mere accusations rather than truth. They’ve had enough behavioral issues in their locker room over the past few years, and by the sounds of it, Geno won’t be mending any of those fences.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I heard about him firing his agents, sounds like he wont be any less of a problem for New York... They just can't seem to fix their QB situation.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I read that he was playing with his phone in many of his meetings.

After collaboration by NFL staffs, they viewed this to be a real problem...who wouldn't? That is disrespectful.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He's coming across as a touch arrogant know it all. That won't go far in the NFL.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
If it was any indication just look at every shot they showed him during the draft he was buried into his phone

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
This kid has bust written all over him.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why can't the Jets seem to straighten-out their front office?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
Why can't the Jets seem to straighten-out their front office?

I imagine they'll clean it out at the end of yet another dismal season. I feel bad for Sanchez. LOL!

jap

Legend
It still seems so embarrassing that we lost to this team last season. I had prematurely chalked up that game as an automatic win. :oops:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Media always runs with things. None of us know why Geno Smith fired his agent and I'm not going to speculate. That's his business. This reminds me of all the crap that Cam Newton got flung at him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jrry32 said:
Media always runs with things. None of us know why Geno Smith fired his agent and I'm not going to speculate. That's his business. This reminds me of all the crap that Cam Newton got flung at him.

And how much of that turned out to be false?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thordaddy said:
jrry32 said:

And how much of that turned out to be false?

The majority of it actually. "Not smart enough." "Fake smile." "No work ethic." "Cares more about being an icon than a QB." It was bull. From people who didn't know the guy. I'm not going to judge someone I don't know based on the word of anonymous sources from the media. I'll reserve judgement.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
jrry32 said:
didnt Cam deserve it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stranger said:
jrry32 said:
didnt Cam deserve it?

No.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where there is smoke there is fire...

[espn]9239609[/espn]

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9239609/geno-smith-new-york-jets-remains-spotlight-all-wrong-reasons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... ng-reasons</a>

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, anonymous sources are not fire to me. We'll see what happens when he hits the field but I'm not jumping to conclusions on a guy who has no off the field legal trouble because of some anonymous reports. I've never met the guy. Regardless, I've probably said enough on this topic.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
CGI_Ram said:
http://t.sports.ca.msn.com/nfl/news/report-genos-attitude-caused-slide-2

Geno Smith is blaming his now former agents for his falling all the way into the second round of this year’s NFL draft. But it appears he might actually be the one at fault.

Smith, who finally came off the board at No. 39 to the New York Jets, fired his agents after the draft-day slide. But some league executive seemed unimpressed with Smith, according to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.

The sources described Smith as having a bad attitude and even accused him of spending too much time on his phone instead of paying attention to coaches.

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said one league executive. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches.”

The same accusation came from another league executive, who claimed that Smith was something of a loner during his visit to their facility.

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one of the sources said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

The overwhelming perception wasn’t that people around the league didn’t like Smith, rather, that they worried about his personality and how players would react to him in the locker room.

“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” said another league executive. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

The Jets better hope that all the criticisms of Smith are mere accusations rather than truth. They’ve had enough behavioral issues in their locker room over the past few years, and by the sounds of it, Geno won’t be mending any of those fences.

I have also heard that he is wildly inconsistent with accuracy as well. That would dovetail with the possibility that he is not paying attention to coaches and has trouble being consistent. Not promising for a recently drafted QB. Mayock said once that he watched tape on him one game and thought he should be a first rounder, based on the one game......then kept watching tape on a different game and wondered if he should even be drafted he played so poorly. But time will tell.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Any WV fans here have any insight?

had

Rookie
CGI_Ram said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://t.sports.ca.msn.com/nfl/news/report-genos-attitude-caused-slide-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://t.sports.ca.msn.com/nfl/news/rep ... ed-slide-2</a>

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said one league executive.

Good line.

Kid could just be scared though, and it comes across as arrogance.

--yoda--it's all about fear, baby.