GDT: Lions at Seapigeons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I think it was stupid by Wright to bat it, but the fumble effectively ended the game one way or the other. Wright could easily (and should) have just picked up the ball and gone out of bounds. There were no Lions near him.

Bad non-call, but less horrid than I imagined hearing the complaints on the radio this morning.
There WAS a lion player behind him. You can't see him in that photo above that shows the ref looking right at the player who clearly batted the ball. We DON'T KNOW what would have happened had he tried to recover. It's possible the Lions would regain possession in the end zone for a TD there.

Either way, there is no excuse for officials not knowing (or not calling according to) the rules.

The ball should have been spotted first and goal on the six inch line. Again, we don't know if the Lions score there (probably). We don't know if the Seahawks respond (there was time). That is the point...we don't know.

Footnote: The officials affected the outcome of that game and there will be ZERO consequences.

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
Can someone explain the reason this rule exists?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
There WAS a lion player behind him. You can't see him in that photo above that shows the ref looking right at the player who clearly batted the ball. We DON'T KNOW what would have happened had he tried to recover. It's possible the Lions would regain possession in the end zone for a TD there.

Either way, there is no excuse for officials not knowing (or not calling according to) the rules.

The ball should have been spotted first and goal on the six inch line. Again, we don't know if the Lions score there (probably). We don't know if the Seahawks respond (there was time). That is the point...we don't know.

Footnote: The officials affected the outcome of that game and there will be ZERO consequences.
I saw the video, and it looked like the player was coming in from the left edge of the end-zone and would have arrived a few seconds after Wright batted the ball. I agree that the refs should know the rules. I don't know why, but this bothers me less because it was failing to call a penalty on a knucklehead move as opposed to failing to properly call the result of a play. Honestly, although I'm glad it went our way, I think the Benny no-fumble forward-progress was more egregious than this. As was #failmary, by a long shot.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Seahawks to lose every game for the rest of time, but for whatever reason I'm not as annoyed by this as I expected to be.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
The big thing out of this is that this game could be the difference between Seattle making the playoffs over another team or not. It could also be the difference between Seattle having home field advantage for a game or more or not in the playoffs. That is the big thing here. Home field advantage matters a lot to the Seahawks. What an absolute sham the NFL is becoming. How can they have guys out there who don't know the rules? This game will come back to affect some other team at the end of the year, possibly the Rams, and that is just a shame.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The bottom line is Seattle illegally batted the ball out of bounds. According to the rule that I read, Detroit should of got the ball back at the 1-1st and goal.

Not going to take away the great play they made but again, rules are rules. How the entire officiating crew misses this is beyond me.

You know if it was in St. Louis we'd of been screwed.

PhxRam

The bottom line is Seattle illegally batted the ball out of bounds. According to the rule that I read, Detroit should of got the ball back at the 1-1st and goal.

Not going to take away the great play they made but again, rules are rules. How the entire officiating crew misses this is beyond me.

You know if it was in St. Louis we'd of been screwed.

I just don't understand how they (Seattle) are always on the receiving end of favorable, game changing calls.