GDT: Dallas v Detroit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How many times did Troy Aikman say the Cowboys are 8-0 on the road?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That was an entertaining game. Finally!

Boy... If I was a Detroit fan I'd be pissed about that flag pick-up. Wow. Never seen anything like that change a game so dramatically.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
The refs need to hold press conferences and explain things like that.

Even Mike Pereira was surprised they picked the flag up.

I honestly was thinking that if Detroit got too close or if they scored, a flag would save the day for Dallas. It kind of takes the drama out of things.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
cowboys2.jpg

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The refs need to hold press conferences and explain things like that.

Even Mike Pereira was surprised they picked the flag up.

I honestly was thinking that if Detroit got too close or if they scored, a flag would save the day for Dallas. It kind of takes the drama out of things.
Even lifting the rule that any criticism of the refs results in fines would do much to restore transparency.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...owboys-a-gift-with-pass-interference-no-call/

Refs give Cowboys a gift with pass interference no-call
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 4, 2015

morelli.jpeg
AP

With the Lions facing third-and-1 at midfield in the fourth quarter today in Dallas, Matthew Stafford threw a pass to tight end Brandon Pettigrew. The pass fell incomplete, but the officials called pass interference, giving the Lions a first down.

And then something bizarre happened: Referee Pete Morelli, who announced the pass interference call, didn’t enforce it. He signaled fourth down and didn’t explain why he was waving off the penalty on the Cowboys.

It was obviously pass interference (and Pettigrew also had his jersey grabbed on the play, so it should have been defensive holding if it weren’t pass interference), but for some reason there was no penalty, and the Lions punted on fourth down.

Former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira, working the game for FOX, said he had never seen anything like it.

“It is clearly pass interference,” Pereira said. “I strongly believe that was not a good pickup of a flag.”

We’ll have to wait until after the game to find out what on earth Morelli was thinking when he called off the penalty. But he gave the Cowboys a huge gift in the fourth quarter of a close playoff game.
---------
NFL should be embarrassed and the refs should be fired or at least fined.
--------
Really makes one think that the refs have a desired outcome….and how is Dez Bryant allowed to come on the field and argue the call with the refs?
--------
Absolute disgrace!!!! Refs are very pro-Cowboys in the second half. Shocking!!! I thought it was only football (soccer ) that had refs that would favour teams.
--------
Also: Dez Bryant ran onto the field with no helmet to argue with the ref, with no consequences.
--------
That was garbage.

They need to at least give an explanation of what happened, in that spot, not a “JK”. Lions haven’t played a very good 2nd half, but any fan that cares about the game is upset about that.
---------
Ignoring whether it was a legit call or not, I’ve never seen a flag beer picked up AFTER the penalty is announced. That’s a very bad look for the NFL.
---------
The real reason it was rightfully picked up was the obvious hands to the face against the Cowboys DB. Its hard to turn your head back when the receiver has his hands all over your facemask
--------
That was very, very fishy.

Picking up a flag so late after such a clear PI (and one that was already announced)?

That’s one of those instances where my normally skeptical self who scoffs at NFL conspiracy theories raises an eyebrow.
--------
Officials on behalf of Dallas 14 point swing for Dallas
-------
I have never seen an NFL play that made me think a game could be fixed, but that one did. That was a ref CHEATING, no ifs ands or buts.
--------
This is the worst officiating I’ve seen all year. And it’s a playoff game. The refs are literally deciding the game. This is disgusting. Can the refs. Can Goddell.
--------
I’ve been watching football for over 25 years. I’ve never seen that before. Fixed?
---------
I have NEVER been someone who thought the nfl fixed games, until now… Ive never seen in my life a call change after announcement and it just happens to be with the team that makes the NFL the most money…
---------
I’ve never seen a more obvious fix in the 35 years I’ve watched pro football. I’ve seen plenty of flags picked up but never, ever have I seen a penalty announced and marched off and THEN overturned. If I was a Lions fan I’d be sick right now.
---------
What a shame SUh is not allowed to stomp this ref

Sum1

Hall of Fame
As Rams fans we've seen our share of awful calls...many as bad or worse than that non-PI call.

But I'll go ahead and chalk this one up as karma for Raiola and Suh being POS.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

Guess we knew the answer to that ? Rams got their taste in the regular season, just not as blatantly! Pereira trying to cover by saying they never work together during the regular season was laughable at best! More lame than anything and obvious ass covering!

Last edited by a moderator:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now THAT is what you call a good football game AFC.

Good defense, good offense, someone gets fucked over by the refs, and then the other team wins because of it. This is REAL football boys. Get with the program.
:ROFLMAO:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well......the flag that got picked up.......I'm OK with it. There was contact throughout that route most of it initiated by the WR, so the defender getting him off of himself is fine with me.

You guys with the whole fixed games and stuff......lighten up LOL.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/04/cowboys-avoided-another-penalty-on-disputed-play/

Cowboys avoided another penalty on disputed play
Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2015

dez.jpg
Getty Images

In addition to the decision of the officials to throw the flag but ultimately not enforce a pass interference call against Cowboys linebackerAnthony Hitchens, Dallas avoided a second penalty on the play.

After the flag was thrown, Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sprinted to the field without a helmet to argue the call loudly with the officials. Bryant wasn’t penalized for the move, which would have given the Lions 15 yards and a first down, extending a drive when the Lions led, 20-17.

Ultimately, the Lions should have had a first down inside the Dallas 15, since the penalty on Hitchens should have given the Lions the ball at the 29, and then the Lions should have been awarded half the distance on the Bryant penalty. Instead, the Lions took a delay-of-game call on fourth and one, moving the ball from the Dallas 41 to the Dallas 46. Then, a 10-yard shank punt gave the Cowboys the ball on their own 36, 64 yards from the game-winning touchdown.

Still, even without the Hitchens penalty, the Lions should have had a first down on the Dallas 26, because Dez Bryant should have received a personal foul for inexplicably running onto the field without a helmet at a time when the defense was playing.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ains-controversial-non-call-in-lions-cowboys/

Referee Pete Morelli explains controversial non-call in Lions-Cowboys

morelli.jpg
Getty Images

With three wild-card games that lacked controversy, the last game of the weekend had enough for all four, and then some. After the Cowboys-Lions game, referee Pete Morelli explained the decision to pick up the flag in what appeared to be an obvious case of pass interference in a key moment as Detroit was driving in Dallas territory with a 20-17 lead.

On third and one, Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens appeared to interfere with Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew. The flag was thrown, the foul was called, and then it all just went away.

“The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference,” Morelli told pool reporter Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “We got information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn’t warrant pass interference. He thought it was face guarding.”

Who thought it was face guarding?

“The head lineman,” Morelli said.

Asked what Morelli saw, he said, “It’s not my responsibility. I’m a hundred miles away.”

Morelli pointed out that face guarding, which happens when a defender uses his arms to deliberately obstruct the receiver’s ability to see the ball, isn’t a foul in the NFL.

“It is a penalty in college but not professional football,” Morelli said.

Asked whether he should have waited to announce the call until the head linesman had a chance to chime in, Morelli said, “Probably, yes. . . . The information came and then the officials got together a little bit later, after it was given to me, the first information. It would have probably been smoother if we got together.”

Morelli said the head linesman had the better view of the play. Regardless, replays showed that Hitchens did more than face guard Pettigrew. Some have suggested that Pettigrew committed interference of his own. Either way, a mistake was made — and the mistake made by Morelli in announcing the call before wiping it out compounded the first one.

Coincidentally, NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino will be a guest on the first PFT Liveradio show on Monday. The play probably will be discussed. A little.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ains-controversial-non-call-in-lions-cowboys/

Referee Pete Morelli explains controversial non-call in Lions-Cowboys

morelli.jpg
Getty Images

With three wild-card games that lacked controversy, the last game of the weekend had enough for all four, and then some. After the Cowboys-Lions game, referee Pete Morelli explained the decision to pick up the flag in what appeared to be an obvious case of pass interference in a key moment as Detroit was driving in Dallas territory with a 20-17 lead.

On third and one, Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens appeared to interfere with Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew. The flag was thrown, the foul was called, and then it all just went away.

“The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference,” Morelli told pool reporter Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “We got information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn’t warrant pass interference. He thought it was face guarding.”

Who thought it was face guarding?

“The head lineman,” Morelli said.

Asked what Morelli saw, he said, “It’s not my responsibility. I’m a hundred miles away.”

Morelli pointed out that face guarding, which happens when a defender uses his arms to deliberately obstruct the receiver’s ability to see the ball, isn’t a foul in the NFL.

“It is a penalty in college but not professional football,” Morelli said.

Asked whether he should have waited to announce the call until the head linesman had a chance to chime in, Morelli said, “Probably, yes. . . . The information came and then the officials got together a little bit later, after it was given to me, the first information. It would have probably been smoother if we got together.”

Morelli said the head linesman had the better view of the play. Regardless, replays showed that Hitchens did more than face guard Pettigrew. Some have suggested that Pettigrew committed interference of his own. Either way, a mistake was made — and the mistake made by Morelli in announcing the call before wiping it out compounded the first one.

Coincidentally, NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino will be a guest on the first PFT Liveradio show on Monday. The play probably will be discussed. A little.
bullshitting.gif