GDT: Dallas @ Green Bay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I think it's a bad call. He took three steps with the ball. The ball moved be it stayed in his hands. Ah.......don't matter what I think. GB is on their way to Seattle.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It took getting the 3rd step in (after the catch) to lunge in the first place.

"football move" vs. "doesn't matter how many steps if in act of falling"

He caught the ball at about 12 and a half feet above playing field and then gets 3 steps in.
The rule is the rule.
And it kind of sucks.
Sucks just about as bad as "touchback" rule when Offense fumbles out of bounds through end zone.
Yes. They are rules.
Some of the rules suck ass.
I'd wouldn't wish a team getting knocked out of playoffs like that on anybody but the Cowboys.

Karma is a b-word, bro. They should have never made it this far. DET didn't get the call last week. It's only fair DAL didn't get it this week.

Dang I love football.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Karma is a b-word, bro. They should have never made it this far. DET didn't get the call last week. It's only fair DAL didn't get it this week.

Dang I love football.
The Detroit game didn't decide the outcome of the game. They only scored 3 points to up to that point and still had 9 minutes left, which is PLENTY of time to score a TD. the call against us cost us the game, straight up.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Very mixed feelings and conflicting thoughts about this one.

On one hand, commons sense says that should have been ruled a catch. At one time in the history of the NFL, nobody would have ever questioned that being ruled a catch.

On the other, hearing the rule explanation, I can *sort* of see how they overturned it, and thus the call might have been *technically* correct. But even if so, it's a case of the letter of the rule trumping the spirit of the rule. And that sucks.

As for the officials, I don't blame them in this case. This one falls squarely on the NFL's shoulders for the ridiculous rule. The officials were just trying to get the call right, which is not easy given the convoluted rules of what constitutes a catch and what does not.

Crappy rule notwithstanding, I cannot deny that seeing Dallas on the bad end of such a controversial call is giving me a raging schadenboner. It's rare that you see karmic justice that is so swift and so sweet as this, so I'm going to wallow in it.

Last week I heard many Cowboy fans defend the reversal of the *textbook* case of defensive pass interference in their favor by saying "the bad calls even out." And you know what, Cowboy fans? You're right! This week's reversal of the defensive pass interference at a most opportune time for you has been evened out with the reversal of a big reception by you at the most inopportune time. Consider it evened out now. (y)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The Detroit game didn't decide the outcome of the game. They only scored 3 points to up to that point and still had 9 minutes left, which is PLENTY of time to score a TD. the call against us cost us the game, straight up.
The Lions very well could have won the game if that call was called correctly, whether you want to admit so or not. Hence, it did decide the outcome of the game.

Also, the call in the Lions game was incorrect. This call was correct. Once you look at the text of the applicable rule, that's not debatable.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Who's "us?"

It was karma. Lots of bad vibes from last week that allowed the Cowboys to win came back to bite them this week in the same manner. Cowboys should have never won a Playoff game this year. They should feel fortunate. And that's my scientific explanation.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes it did. Dez should have completed the process of catching the ball. Have to control the ball all the way to the ground. He didn't make a football move, he was just falling to the ground.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Who's "us?"

It was karma. Lots of bad vibes from last week that allowed the Cowboys to win came back to bite them this week in the same manner. Cowboys should have never won a Playoff game this year. They should feel fortunate. And that's my scientific explanation.
NFL was in damage control this wkend, otherwise, the dez bryant call would have gone the other way.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Dang I love football.
10922626_10204867096468590_3270821034222291926_n.jpg

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Who's "us?"

Dude, we went 12-4 and 8-0 on the road. I still love you though. (No-homo)

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The Lions very well could have won the game if that call was called correctly, whether you want to admit so or not. Hence, it did decide the outcome of the game.

Also, the call in the Lions game was incorrect. This call was correct. Once you look at the text of the applicable rule, that's not debatable.

The rule is unclear. My buddy works for the Cowboys. NFL officials called our director of player personnel after the game and straight up said, "we can't explain the call." When NFL officials can't even explain it, there's something wrong. Amirite?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The rule is unclear. My buddy works for the Cowboys. NFL officials called our director of player personnel after the game and straight up said, "we can't explain the call." When NFL officials can't even explain it, there's something wrong. Amirite?

The rule isn't unclear at all.

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

So the questions are:

Did Bryant go to the ground in the act of catching a pass?
Did he lose control of the ball during the process of contacting the ground?
Did the ball touch the ground before losing control?

If the answer to all three of those questions is yes (and it is), it's not a bad call at all. It might be a bad RULE, but teams have no option but to play under the rules as they are at the time of the game.

If anything, blame Bryant for losing the ball.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
He had complete control of the ball when he hit the ground. Go watch the replay. He also took 3 steps and made a football move.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The rule needs to be looked at. It's too much gray area. I'm over it now (sort of) but the NFL is getting WAY too ticky-tacky, and I think we can all agree on that regardless of team allegiance.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The rule needs to be looked at. It's too much gray area. I'm over it now (sort of) but the NFL is getting WAY too ticky-tacky, and I think we can all agree on that regardless of team allegiance.
The rule is a fucking joke.
It should have been a catch.
When I saw the replay I knew with certainty that it would be reversed. The ball cannot move if it touches the ground.
Dumb rule, right call

Boffo97

Name
Dave
He had complete control of the ball when he hit the ground. Go watch the replay. He also took 3 steps and made a football move.
He was falling when he caught the ball, then lost the ball while hitting the ground. That's the rule.

You can argue the rule needs to be changed, but that doesn't make it a bad call.

If it had been the Rams losing in that situation, I'd be a bit more vociferous that it's a bad rule (it's hard for me to feel sorry for the Cowboys since they shouldn't have been playing that game in the first place), but it was the right call.