GDT: Cowboys at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
980x420-lac-1DAL.jpg

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Game-Preview-Rams-Take-on-Cowboys-in-Preseason-Opener/e8713f92-c0d6-4312-9f63-d9a4de3df2df

Game Preview: Rams Take on Cowboys in Preseason Opener

The NFL preseason has officially arrived. The Rams will be back at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Saturday to take on the Cowboys in their preseason opener for the second straight year.

Following the first two weeks of training camp at the team’s summer home of UC Irvine, the Rams will begin a preseason slate of games that also includes two AFC West opponents in the Raiders and Chargers, as well as a matchup with the Packers at Lambeau Field. Saturday’s kickoff marks Sean McVay’s first preseason game as an NFL head coach.

“I’m excited, I’m excited to watch these guys compete,” McVay said. “I think it offers a great opportunity for us to play in front of our home fans for the first time this season [and] I know as a coaching staff and our players, we’re excited about it.”

Though the exhibition matchups do not count towards the regular season wins and losses, it will be the first time since January that fans will get to see the Rams take on an opponent. These four preseason games will also provide McVay’s new coaching staff a necessary chance to get everything in order.

“That’s what I think the preseason offers, a great opportunity really for us as coaches,” McVay said, “so that by the time the Indianapolis Colts game rolls around, we feel good about our process and how we want to handle things throughout the course of the game.”

Quarterback Jared Goff is under a lot of pressure heading into both the preseason opener and regular season after a rocky rookie campaign. Throughout training camp, Goff has shown tremendous growth in his confidence as the starting quarterback and a lot of budding chemistry with his new receiving group, specifically wideouts

And although after Monday’s practice McVay said many of the projected starters would play just six to 10 snaps during Saturday’s opener, Goff still expressed his excitement at getting back into the action.

“It feels like it’s been coming for a long time now, to kind of get a chance to get back out there in the Coliseum and see all the fans again,” Goff said. “ I’m ready to get out there and just run some plays — see a real defense, maybe get hit a couple times, just go through some things that you go through in a real game and get back into that feel.”

Woods also voiced his anticipation to be back at the Coliseum where he played as a student-athlete at USC. Though he has since played in the stadium as a member of the Bills, Saturday will be Woods’ first time back as a member of the home team.

“I’m excited, excited to walk down and experience it once again, have the home crowd cheering,” Woods said of going back to his former college stadium. “I have not been back in the locker room since I’ve played there. I have been in the visitor’s small locker room, which I don’t want to be a part of again. It’s just a little taste of the season since it’s the preseason.”

But Goff and Woods aren’t the only players to keep an eye on this Saturday. The preseason allows for the stacked 90-man roster to prove themselves worthy of a spot on the much lighter 53-man roster for the regular season. Projected starters Robert Quinn, Mark Barron and Kayvon Webster are all expected to sit out in tomorrow’s game, as is newly signed wide receiver Sammy Watkins, whom the Rams traded for earlier this morning. With these four off the field many other players will have plenty of opportunity to make an impact.

On defense, the Rams will face a former rookie standout in quarterback Dak Prescott, who saw his first NFL game action in last year’s opener at the Coliseum, as well as quarterbacks Kellen Moore and Cooper Rush who both had impressive showings in the Cowboys’ win over the Cardinals last week. And though Dallas’ offensive starters won’t play for too long on Saturday, they will provide a good measuring stick for where the Rams’ defense stands under coordinator Wade Phillips.

Expect a lot of rotation in the Rams’ secondary as the staff works in a slew of players including cornerbacks Nickell Robey-Coleman and Troy Hill, as well as safety John Johnson. The D-line’s depth will also be tested against the Cowboys’ running game as they attempt to stop the likes of running backs Alfred Morris and Rod Smith against a talented Cowboys’ offensive line.

Saturday will also provide the Rams’ offense with its first true test of the season, especially early on in the game when the unit matches up against the Cowboys’ starting defense. Look for first-round draft pick defensive end Taco Charlton on the pass rush and young additions to the Cowboys’ secondary, including Jourdan Lewis and Xavier Woods, to challenge Los Angeles’ backfield.

“It’s a great test,” McVay said of taking on the Cowboys. “I think Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett does an excellent job with the team and it’s clear why they were NFC East champs last year, so I think it offers an excellent opportunity for our team to go against a quality opponent and see how our first-string guys handle those first couple plays, but it’s going to be a great challenge for us.”

Kickoff is set for Saturday at 6 p.m.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I already have set my DVR for a copy of it!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank god that Football, well kinda, is finally back!!
Have to watch on my phone because we don't have NFL network though

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank god that Football, well kinda, is finally back!!
Have to watch on my phone because we don't have NFL network though
I think some European sites will have it I would think

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My biggest concern: Will the Rams O pick up the blitz? In TC, the TE's and RB's sucked big time picking up and blocking the blitz'. Harkey was the only guy reliable in blitz pick up.

Rams O needs to keep Goff clean. I expect the Pokes to blitz early and often.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I already have set my DVR for a copy of it!

Make sure you have the roster on your phone up sorted by number or laptop so you can identify each and every player making a play...Looking for the first team offense putting together a drive with a touchdown and then call it a night as to the defense I'm hoping to see some the young CB's making plays in order for me to feel good about the depth at that position.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Kind of a bummer that most of our D starters aren't playing. If Prescott has a good day the media will be all over him already :rolleyes:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I have to admit, I'm fired up for all 4 quarters of this game. I won't miss a snap no matter how sloppy the game gets with the reserve players on the field.

I'm glad Watkins is sitting this game out after looking very healthy vs the Vikings in preseason. Hoping Watkins lands in LA on time to watch some of the game.

"Welcome Aboard" Sammy Watkins. :yess:

May you stay healthy and retire a Ram...

June 8, 2017:
Watkins showed no sign of a limp during practice. And though he didn't take part in team drills, Watkins occasionally peeked his head into the huddle to learn what play was being called.

Watkins hasn't made himself available to reporters this offseason, and isn't expected to address the media until camp.

He's been sidelined since January when Watkins had surgery on the same foot for the second time in nine months.

Buffalo's 2014 first-round draft pick missed most of last year's offseason practices after having two screws surgically inserted into his foot to repair a stress fracture discovered during a routine physical.

Watkins played the first two games of last season before aggravating the injury when a teammate stepped on his foot during practice.

Injury concerns led to the Bills electing to not pick up the fifth-year option on Watkins' contract last month, leaving his future in Buffalo uncertain beyond this season.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-step-recovering-from-foot-surgery/102627022/

It’s unknown whether the second surgery involved removing or replacing the metal hardware placed during his first procedure in May 2015.

If the hardware placed during the first surgical procedure (intramedullary screw fixation) was removed but not replaced, healing time would likely vary compared to a procedure that involved replacing the metal screw with another piece of hardware.

Watkins suffered from severe chronic pain at the surgical site (fifth metatarsal) and ended up being placed on injured reserve for eight weeks last season because the pain in his surgically repaired foot was intolerable.

Metal hardware placed in the foot can cause lingering problems under normal conditions, but is even riskier for professional athletes, especially for NFL wide receivers.

The amount of torque and pounding on the foot of can complicate the healing process and cause significant pain, which is exactly what happened to Watkins.

Cold weather is also known to aggravate pain and aching with metal hardware placed in the foot or elsewhere in the body. http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/...kins-undergoes-second-surgery-on-broken-foot/

Dez Bryant and Julio Jones both needed second surgeries, as well, when they suffered similar injuries. https://www.buffalorumblings.com/20...ry-second-surgery-recovery-time-training-camp

5thmetatarsal.gif

dallas-center.jpg

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
Kind of a bummer that most of our D starters aren't playing. If Prescott has a good day the media will be all over him already :rolleyes:
Also if Prescott does good, talk about how the Ram Defense is disappointing this year... :blah::blah::blah:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My biggest concern: Will the Rams O pick up the blitz? In TC, the TE's and RB's sucked big time picking up and blocking the blitz'. Harkey was the only guy reliable in blitz pick up.

Rams O needs to keep Goff clean. I expect the Pokes to blitz early and often.
How was FB Sam Rogers on Blitz pick-up!?

LOL This Clip gave me Chill's of excitement!!(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yah! I don't understand why, Quinn-Barron and Webster are being held out! they could play at least a few snaps!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Head Lines tomorrow: "Rams O-Line will now be called the ' Taco's for Lunch Bunch!' After the way they handled and worked over the Cowpie's Rookie DE Taco Carlton!!"
lol.png

GO RAMS!!
-dancing-rams-2.gif

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This is the game where many veterans sit and other key starters only play a couple series. I would love to see more of Goff because I think he needs it. But I would be fearful if Goff is still in there when Whitworth sits.